Another bridge strike

waynedl:
doesn’t work for me :cry:

Click on the `close’ button top right corner and the pics will load properly :exclamation:

scotstrucker:
oh btw the technology is a simple one and very simple too use aswell, it’s called a measuring tape like this

A tape measure-------technology :exclamation:

you need to get out more :slight_smile:

scotstrucker:

redboxer850:

scotstrucker:
how is it in this day and age with all the technology at our disposal

What technology would that be :question:

scotstrucker:
can still leave the yard/ place they collected the trailer and not know the height of the trailer/goods there hauling.

He probably did know the height of the trailer, he made a mistake :exclamation:

EVERYBODY makes mistakes, NOBODY is perfect, he is not the first to hit a bridge, he won’t be the last.

Fortunately, no children were harmed/maimed/killed due to this PROFESSIONAL drivers mistake :wink:

expensive mistake too make though, trailer repairs, bridge inspection, thats a few thousand pounds too pay out for 2 mins of madness, oh btw the technology is a simple one and very simple too use aswell, it’s called a measuring tape like this

Very poor come back fella.

I don’t know you but I’m going to take a punt that at some point during your life you’ll have made a mistake, I’m also going to stick my neck on the line and say you didn’t evaluate the cost of the mistake, decide if its acceptable before you carried on and made the mistake. I really can’t get my head round the people who don’t seem to understand that people make mistakes, maybe its short memories?

I Like how you made out tape measures are a new mordern break through!!

stevieboy308:

scotstrucker:

redboxer850:

scotstrucker:

scotstrucker:
can still leave the yard/ place they collected the trailer and not know the height of the trailer/goods there hauling.

EVERYBODY makes mistakes, NOBODY is perfect, he is not the first to hit a bridge, he won’t be the last.

Fortunately, no children were harmed/maimed/killed due to this PROFESSIONAL drivers mistake :wink:

expensive mistake too make though, trailer repairs, bridge inspection, thats a few thousand pounds too pay out for 2 mins of madness, oh btw the technology is a simple one and very simple too use aswell, it’s called a measuring tape like this

I don’t know you but I’m going to take a punt that at some point during your life you’ll have made a mistake, I’m also going to stick my neck on the line and say you didn’t evaluate the cost of the mistake, decide if its acceptable before you carried on and made the mistake. I really can’t get my head round the people who don’t seem to understand that people make mistakes, maybe its short memories?

yeah i’v made plenty mistakes in my life, broken fence posts, even managed too write a car off, blacked out half of oldmeldrum when i slid on ice through a power line pole, but never hit a bridge yet.
i’ll stick my neck out here and say this, everybody is complaining about the driver cpc and that it’s teaching people too ■■■■ eggs. is it any wonder they want us all too do this when a simple mistake ( yes a mistake, error of judgement, forgetfullness, etc) could have been avoided, it is incidents like these that are part of reason it is here.
also it is law for the height of the vehicle too be displayed in the cab in a place visable to the driver.

the cost of the mistake is his boss had too buy the trailer because of the damage that was caused, now depending on its age it could be anything from £2000 - whatever the price of a new curtainsider is nowadays for that before the price of the repairs which could be another £1000 + for that. then if the bridge had too be inspected then thats even more money. but for less than a fiver he could have bought the simple measuring tape taken 5 mins too measure it before he carried on through the bridge and saved the embarressing phonecall to his boss and the pics of the said deed appearing here, ( he wont the last either)

so what comes out of the simple mistake/ error of judgement/forgot ?

oh and my mistakes cost: car (was my own one) £ 600 ( my own pocket)
the fence cost £50 (my own pocket)
the power line was around a £1000 (insurance)

scotstrucker:

stevieboy308:

scotstrucker:

redboxer850:

scotstrucker:

scotstrucker:

yeah i’v made plenty mistakes in my life, broken fence posts, even managed too write a car off, blacked out half of oldmeldrum when i slid on ice through a power line pole, but never hit a bridge yet.
i’ll stick my neck out here and say this, everybody is complaining about the driver cpc and that it’s teaching people too ■■■■ eggs. is it any wonder they want us all too do this when a simple mistake ( yes a mistake, error of judgement, forgetfullness, etc) could have been avoided, it is incidents like these that are part of reason it is here.
also it is law for the height of the vehicle too be displayed in the cab in a place visable to the driver.

the cost of the mistake is his boss had too buy the trailer because of the damage that was caused, now depending on its age it could be anything from £2000 - whatever the price of a new curtainsider is nowadays for that before the price of the repairs which could be another £1000 + for that. then if the bridge had too be inspected then thats even more money. but for less than a fiver he could have bought the simple measuring tape taken 5 mins too measure it before he carried on through the bridge and saved the embarressing phonecall to his boss and the pics of the said deed appearing here, ( he wont the last either)

So are you saying if the power line was gonna cost 50k then you wouldn’t have whacked it?

At a guess I’d say the majorities of bridge strikes the drivers will know how tall they are, so your Uber modern super advanced tape measure ain’t going to do ■■■■.

What about the drivers who’s hit a bridge but never hit a set of power lines? Where’s the differance?

How do you think the dcpc is going to stop bridge stikes?

Flashing signs on every bridge and a transponder / gps type system that sets off a alarm in the cab, 2 systems then you’ve got a failsafe is what is needed.

stevieboy308:

scotstrucker:

stevieboy308:

scotstrucker:

redboxer850:

scotstrucker:

scotstrucker:

So are you saying if the power line was gonna cost 50k then you wouldn’t have whacked it?

At a guess I’d say the majorities of bridge strikes the drivers will know how tall they are, so your Uber modern super advanced tape measure ain’t going to do [zb].

What about the drivers who’s hit a bridge but never hit a set of power lines? Where’s the differance?

Flashing signs on every bridge and a transponder / gps type system that sets off a alarm in the cab, 2 systems then you’ve got a failsafe is what is needed.

yeah i would have whacked it if it cost 10 million + cos on black ice you cant do very much except try and avoid it

the drivers cpc: i would expect them trainer types too be saying if you cant find the height written on the trailer somewhere then measure it too find out it’s height but then again it would depend on how good the trainer is.

there are many bridges around the country are fitted with overhead warning systems too warn overheight vehicles to divert so the technology is there just some councils dont choose too fit them

some drivers especialy machinary hauliers, oil industry transporters, heavy haulage hauliers, will have the simple measuring tape too find out there width and height before they go anywhere as some of the kit they are hauling could be worth several millions, so i wouldnt rule out the simple measuring tape, car transporter drivers use a measuring stick to find out there height.

but hey i aint gonna argue am only saying what i think, some may like it, some may hate it, some might agree with it, some will disagree with it but there’s one thing for certain it will happen again, and again, and again, and all because the driver made a mistake.

scotstrucker:

stevieboy308:

scotstrucker:

stevieboy308:

scotstrucker:

redboxer850:

scotstrucker:

scotstrucker:

At a guess I’d say the majorities of bridge strikes the drivers will know how tall they are, so your Uber modern super advanced tape measure ain’t going to do [zb].

yeah i would have whacked it if it cost 10 million + cos on black ice you cant do very much except try and avoid it

the drivers cpc: i would expect them trainer types too be saying if you cant find the height written on the trailer somewhere then measure it too find out it’s height but then again it would depend on how good the trainer is.

there are many bridges around the country are fitted with overhead warning systems too warn overheight vehicles to divert so the technology is there just some councils dont choose too fit them

some drivers especialy machinary hauliers, oil industry transporters, heavy haulage hauliers, will have the simple measuring tape too find out there width and height before they go anywhere as some of the kit they are hauling could be worth several millions, so i wouldnt rule out the simple measuring tape, car transporter drivers use a measuring stick to find out there height.

but hey i aint gonna argue am only saying what i think, some may like it, some may hate it, some might agree with it, some will disagree with it but there’s one thing for certain it will happen again, and again, and again, and all because the driver made a mistake.

This whole argument is irrelevant ----- The height of the trailer is on the Front and the height of the bridge is signposted :wink: :wink:

You’re getting carried away with the tape measure, i’ve never seen anyone measuring the height of a trailer, they are 99% marked with the height and in the pic it looks like this one was as well. I don’t carry a tape measure with me and if I wasn’t sure of the height then i’d class it as 16ft max height and plan my route accordingly.

Modern technology would be a truck sat nav with bridge heights in although these aren’t 100% reliable, truckers atlas, planning your route and just checking the height of every bridge you are about to drive under is all that’s needed, paranoia is your friend where bridge heights are concerned.

Yes, we all make mistakes but hitting a bridge is a pretty serious one for a hgv driver.

Should just reverse back up to the bridge, and straighten it up again… :laughing: :laughing:

I wouldnt rely on a sign in the cab telling how high the trailer is ; I drive different vehicles, and there are a few that are showing different heights on the in cab height meter, most of our vehicles are DAF CF`s, all the trailers are fridges, and the same height, except for the weight which will push the suspension down and change the height configuration, so a a careful approach is needed, failing that i would have to measure each one, but its rare i use low bridges anyway.

truckyboy:
Should just reverse back up to the bridge, and straighten it up again… :laughing: :laughing:

I wouldnt rely on a sign in the cab telling how high the trailer is ; I drive different vehicles, and there are a few that are showing different heights on the in cab height meter, most of our vehicles are DAF CF`s, all the trailers are fridges, and the same height, except for the weight which will push the suspension down and change the height configuration, so a a careful approach is needed, failing that i would have to measure each one, but its rare i use low bridges anyway.

are you not on air?

igocked for hitting a canopy with 16ft trailer with no hight indicators on canopy ,only doing 5mph lol. boss said ould i drive under a bridge with no hieght indiator o i said yes i ■■■■■■■ would , hey said im a ■■■■■■ idiot lol to do that ,well u smart aswhat should i do then? he said stop and check before i go under. well my reply was simple , drive down ■■■■■■■ M6 see how many bridges have no hight inicators on lol . no indicator means its over 16ft lol

stevo09uk:
igocked for hitting a canopy with 16ft trailer with no hight indicators on canopy ,only doing 5mph lol. boss said ould i drive under a bridge with no hieght indiator o i said yes i [zb] would , hey said im a [zb] idiot lol to do that ,well u smart aswhat should i do then? he said stop and check before i go under. well my reply was simple , drive down [zb] M6 see how many bridges have no hight inicators on lol . no indicator means its over 16ft lol

it’s 16’6

bridges are for going over not under lol