Another bridge strike.

m.hulldailymail.co.uk/lorry-hits … story.html

A lorry has struck a railway bridge in east Hull which has resulted in the closure of Stoneferry Road.

The A1165 is closed in both directions between Mount Pleasant and Chamberlain Road as emergency services deal with the crash.

It is not clear at this stage whether there are any injuries or how badly damaged the lorry or the bridge is.

The Mail understands police are waiting for structural engineers to assess any damage to the bridge.

It is not known at this stage what caused the crash but in January 2010, a lorry became lodged under the railway bridge in Stoneferry Road which caused traffic chaos.

The heavy goods vehicle was too tall to pass under the bridge

I bet the driver wished they stayed at home! :laughing:

Talk about stating the obvious: The truck was too tall to pass under the bridge. Really? :open_mouth:

Hgv hits a low bridge…Mail reports “at this stage it’s not known what caused the crash”,really■■? :smiley:

Bridge looks to say 15’9,Pets trailers are 16ft wonder if the driver is one of those who will always tell you they always leave a few inches on what the bridge actually is compared to what the sign says :unamused:

And just to get in there before Tango boy!

Agency guide dog! :sunglasses:

If he’d just took the moffett off the back and lifted the bridge up 6 " :grimacing:

Evil8Beezle:
I bet the driver wished they stayed at home! :laughing:

Talk about stating the obvious: The truck was too tall to pass under the bridge. Really? :open_mouth:

Don’t you mock The Hull Daily Mail! It might be poor, but it’s not “The Hereford Times” poor!

herefordtimes.com/search/9915197.display/

Evil8Beezle:
And just to get in there before Tango boy!

Agency guide dog! :sunglasses:

Cow :smiley:

it is 15,9, and well signed too, looking at the pic it looks like he is heading into Hull, if so there is a traffic island a few 100 yds before the bridge that he could have diverted away from it. well signposted on the island too…

but either way there is space to stop and swing it round if necccesary…

no excuse for this one…

Yep. Other than a bar across the road with chains hanging down or a flashing sign there’s nothing else that can be done. That bridge is signposted from over a mile away in most directions.

This one as you approach if you were coming in from York is 1.5 miles away from it and there are signs on the next three roundabouts before you get to it.

This one is coming in from the M62, again a mile away and again there are three more signs on the roundabouts prior to the bridge.

Nearly! :laughing:

Must have been Eagerbeaver’s last day at Downtons.

Nah. Bridge strikes are the preserve of agency and flip flops OAD.

I am too busy buying coffee at the services.

“It is not known at this stage what caused the crash”

What actually happened is that a train driver ignored a weight limit and as the train went over the bridge it started to collapse. Fortunately (for the train driver) a truck happened to be passing underneath just at the right time, and managed to hold the bridge up.

Oh, no, wait…:

“The heavy goods vehicle was too tall to pass under the bridge”

Maybe that was it…?

dle1uk:
it is 15,9, and well signed too, looking at the pic it looks like he is heading into Hull, if so there is a traffic island a few 100 yds before the bridge that he could have diverted away from it. well signposted on the island too…

no excuse for this one…

It’s actually 15"0 as I’m 15"2 and can’t go under it, but yeah he shouldn’t of gone for it!

yt03:

dle1uk:

no excuse for this one…

It’s actually 15"0 as I’m 15"2 and can’t go under it, but yeah he shouldn’t of gone for it!

s

doh fat fingers, should have been 0, used to deliver/ collect around there, I was 15/3 at the time and used to get swung round park up and often run the deliveries under the bridge to a car parts place just hull side of bridge… especially as I often had busch tyres on which was the other side…

dle1uk:

yt03:

dle1uk:

no excuse for this one…

s

doh fat fingers, should have been 0, used to deliver/ collect around there, I was 15/3 at the time and used to get swung round park up and often run the deliveries under the bridge to a car parts place just hull side of bridge… especially as I often had busch tyres on which was the other side…

I did wonder if you did a 9 instead of a zero lol yeah I have to cut through onto bankside and go that way to get to the other side of stoneferry Road…

It’s surprising how many trucks you see spinning around outside the car bodyshop when they realise they won’t get under…Like you say it’s got low bridge signs up well before it and even my cheapo trucktables satnav flags it up a good mile off!