Another Bridge,Another Bus

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-32088386

Guessing the driver will get shafted! Used to work for a bus company before HGV, I was in the depot, not a driver. Anyway, a lot of people always said to me that it’s easy to forget you are driving a D/deck when you are usually driving a single. Not saying that this is an excuse, the driver should know his height but if he usually drives a single deck bus or coach then I guess you kinda run on autopilot and think you are in a single.
Myself, I have some sort of a weird OCD thing where if I see any height signs, even if it’s not the way I am going, I always look at my vehicle height, even though I know what my height is anyway!

Makes a refreshing change to see the roof ripped off.

Its normally the passengers.

Can’t see the problem, just use it as one of those open-topped sightseeing buses now :smiley: :smiley:

In my younger life as a bus driver I was in the Aintree depot Ormskirk Road and an old driver went under the Old Roan Bridge in a decker (empty thankfully) that was 30 seconds away from the depot, the funny thing was he had worked at that depot for 40 odd years and hit the bridge 2 weeks before he retired…doh :slight_smile:
He did clear the bridge and the roof was some way behind the bus :open_mouth:

No Sympathy… Driver would have know vehicle height…obviously wasn’t paying attention to the road signs etc. on entering that road from the roundabout, road signs clearly marked low bridge warning and directions for an alternative route… the bus then travelled a further half mile before getting to the bridge, plenty of side roads and industrial estates to turn around, so it kind dismisses the wrong turn theory more like a case of drive with undue care an attention

Must have hit it at speed, peeled the to off like a corn dog tin… :unamused:

On the plus side, now the bus company can boast an open top for the summer :grimacing:

When I was a coach driver for national express we used to have a hotel bus that would go around about 5 of them, then drop people at north and south terminals at gatwick.
As it was a single decker you could use whatever lane to drop off but occasionally if they were off the road they substituted it with a coach. Due to the height, you could only use one lane at the south terminal.
We had an Irish cockney driver (I kid you not) lol who was given the coach and forgot to use the dedicated lane. Now he should have realised when he hit the overweight chain before going in but nope, he carried on. He did come up with a wonderful plan which involved lowering the coach suspension down, it worked wonders until he got to the humped crossing directly under the walkway from the car park to the terminal lmao. Ripped the air con unit clean off the coach, he told national what had happened and they sent another coach out, he jumped on it and drove off lol. Was done by the police for leaving the scene of an accident. It caused havoc, they had to shut the walkway so the structural engineers could assess the damage and then the coach had to be dragged out after being wedged lol. The coach was only about 6 months old and was worth nearly 250k as it was one of the first with a wheelchair ramp.
Funny thing about six months later I was parked up on layover outside victoria coach station and who pulled up next to me. Yep it was him… In an open top bus lmao. Couldn’t resist shouting out “saves you doing it then” lol.

That’s one thing that’s really grips my ■■■■… HGV drivers get pulled left right and centre and limited to 56mph and then you see coaches full of people going at 70mph now who is at more risk a HGV driver or a coach full of people■■?