Another Actros Question

How the blazes do I get the midlift up when manoeuvring?

I’m going to rip the tyres off the rims at this rate.

I’ve tried lifting it when parked, whilst crawling, and even just after selecting reverse.

I wouldn’t mind but after getting under the trailer it let me drive 100 miles plus with it up, and when I parked, it dropped, never to return until the trailer was empty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a 2 way switch with pictures of the lift axle on it (or something like it) somewhere on the dash - every Actros I drive has the switches in different places. The top half will lift the axle permanently if it is lightly loaded and the bottom half will lift it under about 20 mph for a few minutes. This is probably the one you want!

Tried both of those. Must have been installed by ex BL staff and is on strike. This truck is trying to make an idiot of me

Press down on the switch below (I’ve handily included my finger into the picture 'cos I’m nice like that)

Btw you need to be at quite low speed for it to work. I use it a lot when turning right out of T junctions when heavy in the wet.

the maoster:
Press down on the switch below (I’ve handily included my finger into the picture 'cos I’m nice like that)

Btw you need to be at quite low speed for it to work. I use it a lot when turning right out of T junctions when heavy in the wet.

That’s the one!

I haven’t driven one yet but our lads reckon the new Actros with small mid lift has no method of dumping the mid lift air at all (won’t they be fun in the snow :unamused: ), the only lorries i’ve come across before that with such a half wit design were retro fitted mid lifts on Transporter Engineering car carrier bodied FM Volvos of the mid to late noughties and Stralis of Tilt Cab To Add Engine Oil Brilliance.

Its the sort of design input you’d expect from some work experience kid.

Juddian:
I haven’t driven one yet but our lads reckon the new Actros with small mid lift has no method of dumping the mid lift air at all (won’t they be fun in the snow :unamused: ), the only lorries i’ve come across before that with such a half wit design were retro fitted mid lifts on Transporter Engineering car carrier bodied FM Volvos of the mid to late noughties and Stralis of Tilt Cab To Add Engine Oil Brilliance.

The lightweight Actros has no manual input to what the axle does. But accordingto MB it should not drop until you have 10 tonnes on the drive axle and it will transfer weight onto the mid-lift only to stop the drive axle overloading. This is also why the 5th wheel is in the same position as on a 4x2 rather than about a foot further forwards as on any other 6x2, to prevent a front axle overload with the middle axle still raised with quite heavy loads on. Actually it should operate as if you have the weight transfer button permanently pressed.

acd1202:

Juddian:

The lightweight Actros has no manual input to what the axle does. But accordingto MB it should not drop until you have 10 tonnes on the drive axle and it will transfer weight onto the mid-lift only to stop the drive axle overloading. This is also why the 5th wheel is in the same position as on a 4x2 rather than about a foot further forwards as on any other 6x2, to prevent a front axle overload with the middle axle still raised with quite heavy loads on. Actually it should operate as if you have the weight transfer button permanently pressed.

Ah thanks for that.
Where we use an axle weigher regularly, bearing in mind the mid lift is less than 5 tons max if i recall what one of the lads was telling me, so trailer weight distribution is critical, too easy to find that light mid lifter on its absolute limit…and 5th wheel position is probably because the axle is so light, seems and odd state of affairs to me when almost every other maker puts a facility to dump air and in the case of MAN’s after about 20 seconds the axle will lift entirely for manoeuvers etc.

Still reckon they’re going to be a chocolate teapot on slippery surfaces without the ability to at least remove that weight temporarily.

Juddian:

acd1202:

Juddian:

Ah thanks for that.
Where we use an axle weigher regularly, bearing in mind the mid lift is less than 5 tons max if i recall what one of the lads was telling me, so trailer weight distribution is critical, too easy to find that light mid lifter on its absolute limit…and 5th wheel position is probably because the axle is so light, seems and odd state of affairs to me when almost every other maker puts a facility to dump air and in the case of MAN’s after about 20 seconds the axle will lift entirely for manoeuvers etc.

Still reckon they’re going to be a chocolate teapot on slippery surfaces without the ability to at least remove that weight temporarily.

The 5th wheel position is for the front axle not the mid lift. If you run over an axle weigher with a mid lift up at 44t with any make you will find the front axle loading is close to 10000kg, that’s why the 5th wheel is well back on this Merc setup.

What is interesting, is that I notice for 2017 model year they have dropped the gvw of these units from 22300 to just 21500, so you only have 1500kg tolerance at 44000kg. The mid-lift is still plated at 4300kg.

Take it to Merc Paul and ask then to increase the lift axle tolerances, when I got this one the mid lift used to go down when a sparrow ■■■■■■ on the trailer, now it’s much better.

I’m going to try it tomorrow as its fully loaded. For the bloody life of me I can’t understand why you have to press a button which (to me anyway) shows that it’s dropping the axle, not lifting it, and you get a similar display on the dash.

But cheers for all the help folks.

I drove one from Cheshire to Reading services the other day, axle lifted. Parked up and it dropped, and would it go up? Would it Buxton!!

Pressure sensor on the rear axle bag.If the pressure in the bag is higher than 4 bar the mid axle drops automaticaly and stays down to stop overloading the drive axle.The button will only drop the pressure in the mid axle bag for about 10 seconds to allow the drive axle to get a bit more traction.

Sometimes if you back under a heavy trailer too quick with the mid axle up it bursts the rear bags as the computer and suspension valve cant operate fast enough and the rear bags get fed the full tank pressure to try to lift the chassis up to ride height.Max pressure in the bags is about 7 bar but being fed the full 9 bar tank pressure pops them.

How do you check oil level on the actors as I can’t find a dip stick, apart from one behind the wheel lol

PaulNowak:
I drove one from Cheshire to Reading services the other day, axle lifted. Parked up and it dropped, and would it go up? Would it Buxton!!

I drive a 2016 actros - that button above is all you should need to bring it up and down, won’t work if you’re moving too fast though, same with air leveller Paul

happyhebridean436:
How do you check oil level on the actors as I can’t find a dip stick, apart from one behind the wheel lol

You check it via the dashboard mate, it’s in the menu. There probably is a dipstick somewhere but I imagine that it’s only for fitters when they’ve dropped the oil and will involve tilting the cab.

As far as I’m concerned I check it each morning through the dash and if that’s giving a false reading then tough, I’ve done my bit.