Annual Test

Hi all.

Taking my first vehicle for its annual test today. Can anyone give me any advice. I know the vehicle will pass but you know what these test guys can be like sometimes. Should i take a few tools with me. Any advice of info would be much apprieciated.

Mart

there is not much point in taking anything major, tool wise, to the test station

most VOSA test stations will only allow very minor work, such as headlamp adjustment on site, they do not allow wheel changes or air valve changes.

what they let you off with, as in, pass with an advisory, will all depend on the examiner, some are a little more lenient than others

Make sure its steam cleaned - and clean inside and out -
Lights work etc , no air leaks
most importantley – you have a nearly max weight load - for the brake test - if the axles are too light they will fail the brakes test
cheers
Steve

gm:
Make sure its steam cleaned - and clean inside and out -
Lights work etc , no air leaks
most importantley – you have a nearly max weight load - for the brake test - if the axles are too light they will fail the brakes test
cheers
Steve

that all depends on what type of vehicle it is, if it is a rigid or a 4x2 tractor unit, they can use their machine that puts the weight over the rear axle

if, on the other hand, it is a 6x2 unit, you will need to take a fully freighted trailer, or pay to hire their test weight trailer, if they have one, for the brake test

yeah its only a 7.5t box lorry. so ill drop the tail lift and use there weight machine. Hopefully it will pass. ill just tell them to go easy as its my first time. haha

Another question should i mark the tyres sizes on the tyre.

martint10:
yeah its only a 7.5t box lorry. so ill drop the tail lift and use there weight machine. Hopefully it will pass. ill just tell them to go easy as its my first time. haha

Another question should i mark the tyres sizes on the tyre.

why?

i have got 5 trucks and 3 trailers that i take for annual test when they are due, i have never yet marked or highlighted the tyre size on the tyre itself

it is their job to find something wrong, not your job to point out things that are (or should be) correct

before you take the truck for test, as previously said, check all the lights work, including brake lights, rear fog lights, front fogs (if fitted) are not part of the test so don’t worry about them, also, check the wheel nuts!!!

if you can get underneath the truck, go around it tapping everything that has a nut/bolt with a tack hammer, if it pings, it is tight enough, if it rattles, then tighten it

As said,screwdriver for headlight adjustment

plus £20 pound note :wink:

argh…sorry forget the screwdriver, just the £20 note

danman

well all passed ok. only thing wrong was the rear fog lamp was on the n/s not o/s. Learnt something new. Everything else was ok. Thanks for the replies guys.

Mart