Annual Fitness & Medical Declaration

The company I work for have come with a new medical questionnaire & use of drink/drugs etc to fill out. Dose anyone know if this is government legislation or are they just being nosey? They want to know quite a lot of info that at the moment only Me & my Doctor know about. They even want to know my car reg?? Do I only have to tell them about anything I’ve had to inform the DVLA about or everything that’s wrong with Me?

Thanks

Not government legislation, just backside covering. Often you’ll find such things in sectors that are high risk such as chemical/petrochem. You don’t have to give it but there may be consequences between you and your employer if you don’t especially if its in your contract you have to.

If you’re trying to hide a drug habit or drink problem, even if its going on benders on a weekend, then you may want to consider if you should be behind the wheel of a lorry in the first place.

Define bender?

Conor:
If you’re trying to hide a drug habit or drink problem, even if its going on benders on a weekend, then you may want to consider if you should be behind the wheel of a lorry in the first place.

If you drink alcohol on a Saturday night to the point where you are over the drink-drive limit but won’t be driving until Monday morning then why should you consider whether you should be an HGV driver?

Just be very very careful in what you tell your doctor regarding any social activities that include booze :wink:

If you have a certain type of quack, they can end your driving career pretty quickly, your best bet is to either keep off it, or tell him/her a porky regarding your abstinence :open_mouth:

And certainly don`t drink before a blood test, they can tell a lot through your blood sample… :astonished:

The insurers are getting more and more nosey regarding your habits, they dont do` risk if they can help it nowadays, so their questions via your employer are on the investigative side whether you like it or not.

I think we will find that these questions and testing will get more and more intrusive. I have been asked to attend a doctor for a routine drug and alcohol test. This is not for cause or suspicion, but a “routine check” This was to happen on my day off. There is a zero tolerance to any alcohol or drugs in your body. Obviously as it is a day off I told them to cancel it as I would not be going. It would not affect my weekly rest as it would be in a period of 4 days off - but I would not be getting paid. My argument is that if I’m not at work I am free to drink within reason whatever I like and whenever I like and a zero tolerance is unreasonable. I have no problems with the drugs test though.
See below answer to my objection:-

With regards to the Drug & Alcohol test, please note that this is a standard part of the appointment and is not done at random. All employees are required to complete the D&A part of the test as per Company/Industry standard. We would expect employees to avoid any alcohol prior to this appointment to ensure a clean result.

In the bus industry some newer buses have an alcohol lock, there is no ignition key. The driver breathes into a breathalyser and if he is clear the engine starts. If not he walks. Remember the guy who had a roll with poppy seeds and failed a drug test?

Our lot put us through this type questionnaire every year followed by a medical. Not just drivers but everyone who works at the place.
The vast amount of questions cover hearing, eye sight, breathing, skin condition, alcohol consumption, smoking, allergies and previous medical history with about a dozen questions covering each section.
Then you get a medical test covering all these areas as well as height, weight and physical mobility tests. Blood pressure and urine tests also.
Company says it’s for our benefit and for some it has thrown up a few concerns that needed checking out by their own GP’s. However, we think we are told to do it so the company can then use it as evidence against us should someone put in a claim for a potential work related illness.
The other thing is that the first part of the questionnaire requires a signature allowing the doctor to carry out the test. No problem.
At the end is another section requiring a signature. Part of this basically says that the company can then get access to and use the information given in disciplinary action against us. This never gets signed.
If anyone does one of these then read thoroughly all sections requiring a signature.

Harry Monk:

Conor:

If you drink alcohol on a Saturday night to the point where you are over the drink-drive limit but won’t be driving until Monday morning then why should you consider whether you should be an HGV driver?

It’s a Conor the driving God Harry, just ignore it an have another pint or two …

Insurance Companies no matter what its for Motor Health Travel House etc etc will use every possible method to increase premiums or to avoid paying out,your Boss is merely covering his arse,no different to many Companies.
As for your car Reg he or his Insurers are possibly checking for anything that you have not disclosed ie car accident or driving offences.
Failure to disclose ANYTHING could easily void any insurance policy he has.

alamcculloch:
If not he walks.

I wouldn’t be too pleased if I was waiting for a bus and the driver turned up on foot.

“More room up top!”
“It’s ok, I’ll wait for the next one”

Our lot have one for compliance and “fitness to work”, plus a seperate one for night driving. Some relates to ensuring you don’t need to eat at certain times and other bits relate to meds you take - not a prob as long as they are allowed by DVLA. All arse covering.

Not a clue what happens if you don’t declare something, bit I guess if say they did a drugs test and found something legit but undeclared, it might raise problems and possible suspension.

As for car reg, wouldn’t put that. Not related to my job so they not having it (not that it would be hard to find out by looking out the window).

If they sharing it with 3rd parties, they should have a declaration that you have to sign.

Harry Monk:

Conor:

Saturday often turns into Sunday as well, getting into a wagon over the limit. It then progresses and you’re necking a few during the week as well. Doing nights I’ve seen enough staggering from the bar at Lockerbie into their trucks at midnight-1am in the morning barely able to walk in a straight line and I’d bet my house that come 6-7am and still way over the limit many of them are on the road.

commonrail:
Define bender?

FBF9A0E8-A9CB-4ACC-9CBA-4D548F4463C1.jpeg

:stuck_out_tongue: