Animal feeds driving

DonutUK:
Well…at least you’ll be used to the smell of bullsh*t…

There is always one! :grimacing:

Sounds like you found your calling - crack on and enjoy, Paddle your own canoe!

MickM

MTM12:

DonutUK:

MickM

Cheers buddy, there is always one your right. I take no notice as he is a bit slow. I make allowances for the ones who lack any sense.

UKtramp:

MTM12:

DonutUK:

MickM

Cheers buddy, there is always one your right. I take no notice as he is a bit slow. I make allowances for the ones who lack any sense.

Oh, and you were doing so well… a pleasant o.p. without any inference to your perceived superiority or sly put downs of other drivers, starting a nice exchange of drivers experiences on farm work. Heck, even I contributed without funny pictures or witty retorts…

Oh, another tip. Do not, ever, let slip that you worked with fridges. You’ll be cheaper than calling the engineer (did I mention that farmers hate spending money? ), “it 'll only take a minute”, and if it goes wrong theyll hold you responsible…

UKtramp:

robroy:
Farm buildings for me but same thing same crap.
Had one on Monday near Malmesbury, rang up as usual, prior for artic access info, very nice lady on phone says ‘‘Plenty of room driver, I’ll tell my husband you’re on your way’’ .
Found the farm road very twisty got in to yard farmer takes one look at me puts his head in his hands…absolutely no way was I able to turn around in that yard.
He says ''Why didn’t you tell my wife you had an artic" replied ‘‘I did mate, I did’’ he got on the phone and played [zb] with his poor Mrs.

5 mins to unload/40 minutes to reverse out including around a couple of tight blindsiders where I couldn’t see a [zb] thing. :imp:
So Mr Tramp be careful. :bulb:

I have had this rob, my reversing skills are certainly been put to the test. I couldn’t believe no one volunteered at our firm to cover our regular feed drivers holidays. I can see how some would not take to it. I feel I have finally found my ideal driving position away from the fridges. This in my opinion is real driving. Exciting & exhilarating scenery along with testing your driving skills each place of visit. I now need to nobble one of the regular feed drivers to take his place!

Being! Being!! Being!!! I’ve told you about this before UKt! How do you expect to ever be a proper class 1 driver when you keep making this mistake■■? Naughty step for you chap!

Farm work is great! I’d still be on it if the ■■■■ paid o/t and got me a Mounty for the crap drops…

UKtramp:
Well I am absolutely loving my week on animal feeds. This has to be the best job in driving? I love the roads, the scenery and I feel very lucky doing this. The driving through some of the places I am visiting is one I can only describe as spectacular. I have never done animal feeds before but I would simply love to do more. beats the motorway network which are my regular routes. Does anyone do this full time and if so would you ever go back to general haulage. I am getting depressed thinking about leaving this behind.

Farm delivery is like no other. Yes there are some outstanding views, but there’s also many obstacles. Many farm yards resemble rat infested junk yards, here’s my mini list of tips.

Get a good strong pair of wellies and have somewhere secure to place them upside down on your unit. If your blowing into bins - it can ce a bit muddy plus… etc.
Gets dusty too so a face mask won’t harm.
Make sure you read and follow any bio-security info displayed at farm gates. If there’s a bio spray by the gates - you’ll be expected to use it on your wheels / tyres before entry.
Look up and check for cables .
Never touch or feed any animals.
Stay away from farm dogs… they tend to chew rats to death - and many will bite you if chance arises.
Check any ground you are unsure about - what looks firm could be deep doodling.
If you’re delivering palletised bagged feed… this is usually tipped in the cleaner and better areas of farms.
If I think of anything else I’ll add it later.
Gotta go…

the nodding donkey:

UKtramp:

MTM12:

DonutUK:

MickM

Oh, and you were doing so well… a pleasant o.p. without any inference to your perceived superiority or sly put downs of other drivers, starting a nice exchange of drivers experiences on farm work. Heck, even I contributed without funny pictures or witty retorts…

Oh, another tip. Do not, ever, let slip that you worked with fridges. You’ll be cheaper than calling the engineer (did I mention that farmers hate spending money? ), “it 'll only take a minute”, and if it goes wrong theyll hold you responsible…

To be fair to UKT, all he did was respond after being poked. Let’s be honest here, how many of us wouldn’t do the same?

As for farm work, only ever did it once. Delivered a load of wood to a farm somewhere in North Yorkshire, don’t ask me where, I can’t remember. It was ■■■■■■■ it down with rain, blowing like a ■■■■ and freezing cold. That’s after I found it! “Turn left at the tree” were the directions I got over the phone. Definitely a summer job I reckon.

Jingle Jon:

UKtramp:
Well I am absolutely loving my week on animal feeds. This has to be the best job in driving? I love the roads, the scenery and I feel very lucky doing this. The driving through some of the places I am visiting is one I can only describe as spectacular. I have never done animal feeds before but I would simply love to do more. beats the motorway network which are my regular routes. Does anyone do this full time and if so would you ever go back to general haulage. I am getting depressed thinking about leaving this behind.

Farm delivery is like no other. Yes there are some outstanding views, but there’s also many obstacles. Many farm yards resemble rat infested junk yards, here’s my mini list of tips.

Get a good strong pair of wellies and have somewhere secure to place them upside down on your unit. If your blowing into bins - it can ce a bit muddy plus… etc.
Gets dusty too so a face mask won’t harm.
Make sure you read and follow any bio-security info displayed at farm gates. If there’s a bio spray by the gates - you’ll be expected to use it on your wheels / tyres before entry.
Look up and check for cables .
Never touch or feed any animals.
Stay away from farm dogs… they tend to chew rats to death - and many will bite you if chance arises.
Check any ground you are unsure about - what looks firm could be deep doodling.
If you’re delivering palletised bagged feed… this is usually tipped in the cleaner and better areas of farms.
If I think of anything else I’ll add it later.
Gotta go…

Great tips, appreciate them especially the wellies upside down. Unfortunately I am an animal lover and cant resist talking to the cows. I always love stroking dogs so that tip is well worth a thought too. Any tips are welcome as I am a bit green with this farm work at the mo.

Captain Caveman 76:
To be fair to UKT, all he did was respond after being poked. Let’s be honest here, how many of us wouldn’t do the same?

As for farm work, only ever did it once. Delivered a load of wood to a farm somewhere in North Yorkshire, don’t ask me where, I can’t remember. It was ■■■■■■■ it down with rain, blowing like a [zb] and freezing cold. That’s after I found it! “Turn left at the tree” were the directions I got over the phone. Definitely a summer job I reckon.

To be honest Cavey it is definitely one for the summer, although I am looking forward to the challenge of the winter. Kettle, loads of water and gas in my cab. The driving is just superb at the moment.

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

As for farm work, only ever did it once. Delivered a load of wood to a farm somewhere in North Yorkshire, don’t ask me where, I can’t remember. It was ■■■■■■■ it down with rain, blowing like a [zb] and freezing cold. That’s after I found it! “Turn left at the tree” were the directions I got over the phone. Definitely a summer job I reckon.

To be honest Cavey it is definitely one for the summer, although I am looking forward to the challenge of the winter. Kettle, loads of water and gas in my cab. The driving is just superb at the moment.

I’ve always been into photography and one of my plans was to take my camera with me so I could take some shots of the countryside. Unfortunately it never panned out that way for me. But I have to admit, driving over the M62, watching the sun set over the moors as the mist descends makes me want to pull over and just stare at the scenery.

Captain Caveman 76:
I’ve always been into photography and one of my plans was to take my camera with me so I could take some shots of the countryside. Unfortunately it never panned out that way for me. But I have to admit, driving over the M62, watching the sun set over the moors as the mist descends makes me want to pull over and just stare at the scenery.

My hobby is photography and the only problem with this job is that I feel the need to pull over every turn of a corner to capture it all. It is combining great driving and photography all in one. I am looking forward to the landscapes with winter mist and frost. I have truly found my calling with this job. I think everyone should try it who pounds the motorways to get a breath of fresh air and get that love of driving back.

the nodding donkey:

UKtramp:

MTM12:

DonutUK:

MickM

Didnt take the usuals very long to try and spoil it,pleased your enjoying yourself well done,I think you’re one of those drivers who would be good at whatever you turn your hand to.

bobbya:

DonutUK:

Didnt take the usuals very long to try and spoil it,pleased your enjoying yourself well done,I think you’re one of those drivers who would be good at whatever you turn your hand to.

Cheers bobbya appreciate the words

Santa:
I did some agency work for a firm that sold fences and gates etc. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Farmers don’t order stuff they don’t need and keep you waiting for hours. I used to phone round in the morning so they knew I was coming - It’s no good phoning in the middle of the day if they have gone off to market.

There was a big box of 1" OS maps in the truck and that was invaluable.

Another great tip.

UKtramp:

Captain Caveman 76:

My hobby is photography and the only problem with this job is that I feel the need to pull over every turn of a corner to capture it all. It is combining great driving and photography all in one. I am looking forward to the landscapes with winter mist and frost. I have truly found my calling with this job. I think everyone should try it who pounds the motorways to get a breath of fresh air and get that love of driving back.

Here’s one for you to try.

Mount the camera on its tripod and secure it behind the driver but so it can still see through the windscreen. Have the focus on the dashboard and set the exposure to about 10 seconds (maybe more, maybe less). Now, drive down roads in the evening/night taking photos (using your remote of course). As long as you can get the camera secure, you should get some pretty spectacular results.

You should get a static image of the cab/driver, but light streaks through the window.

Oops, double post.

Captain Caveman 76:
Here’s one for you to try.

Mount the camera on its tripod and secure it behind the driver but so it can still see through the windscreen. Have the focus on the dashboard and set the exposure to about 10 seconds (maybe more, maybe less). Now, drive down roads in the evening/night taking photos (using your remote of course). As long as you can get the camera secure, you should get some pretty spectacular results.

You should get a static image of the cab/driver, but light streaks through the window.

Will certainly have a go at this.

This is all very interesting but I bet you can’t explain how the second law of thermodynamics has impacted on the evolution of refrigerators in the past decade…

UKtramp:
Well I am absolutely loving my week on animal feeds. This has to be the best job in driving? I love the roads, the scenery and I feel very lucky doing this. The driving through some of the places I am visiting is one I can only describe as spectacular. I have never done animal feeds before but I would simply love to do more. beats the motorway network which are my regular routes. Does anyone do this full time and if so would you ever go back to general haulage. I am geteting depressed thinking about leaving this behind.

Which yard are you running from…

yt03:

UKtramp:
Well I am absolutely loving my week on animal feeds. This has to be the best job in driving? I love the roads, the scenery and I feel very lucky doing this. The driving through some of the places I am visiting is one I can only describe as spectacular. I have never done animal feeds before but I would simply love to do more. beats the motorway network which are my regular routes. Does anyone do this full time and if so would you ever go back to general haulage. I am geteting depressed thinking about leaving this behind.

Which yard are you running from…

Goole area bud

Trampy farm work is a laugh and always fun also some of the farmers treat you like there best pal.Some will also treat you like a fanny and give no help what so ever but good to see your enjoying it winter is a tad more fun.