Angus Cochrane - Northern Ireland

Just found some old photos of Angus Cochrane trucks, just wondering if anyone has any else. All I know about them is that they sold their business to Montgomery’s in 2004

004.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

They were primarily fishermen and the wagons used to load out with there own catch. I can tell you that the liveried trailers with airkits down the side had laaaaarge cherry tanks on them and the motors still had a a blue line on them despite there age :open_mouth: :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :grimacing:

Used to see them in the Spanish markets a bit, usually Mercabarna :smiley:

I seem to remember he lost a packet over some failed expansion plan of some sorts which combined with poor catches eventually saw them off :frowning:

Many happy times working for this firm.

That 143 was originally a 4x2 but had the middle granning axle fitted by will Sloan. If I remember right it was later removed and larger tanks put on.

And billybigrig I couldn’t possibly comment on such talk of these large cherry tanks you mention !!! Lol

My brother worked for them for a few years. And from what I remember there wasn’t enough hours in the day…!

Anything less than 24 hours a day wasn’t enough!

I went with him once from Greencastle, donegal to Barcelona in one hit. And I thimk that was a regular thing

I had the pleasure of driving that scania once before I got demoted to a 380 iveco Eurostar, cochranes was my 2 yr apprenticeship before I moved on (I like to sleep at least once a week) i learnt more there than any other outfit iv ever worked for. Eric Cochrane lied likes cheap Chinese watch & he still owes me wages

I got stopped in St Denis the gendarmes wanted 3350 francs for some jumped up offence & I was not paying as strangely it’s the only time I had 3 straight cards so as per they took my ec authorisation off me then did me a map to the delivery on 1 side of a4 with the map to the cop shop on the other. Anyway off I trot to the RDC where I ring Eric telling him what’s gone on & his reply regarding my ec authorisation? “don’t worry it was a forgery anyway” lol I’d been running with it for months & then ran for another 2wks till I got back to ardglass.

My memory with names is not the greatest anymore but 1 of the Irish lads celcus? He taught me a lot especially how to get a 24 hr break lol

Great times

Eric was a rogue alright but I always found him a like able one lol he had a way of talking you into doing things.

Irish Haulage, full of Myths & Legends, but so many of them were true to life :open_mouth: :wink: :smiley: . Just pour me another ‘Poynt of the Black Stuff & pull up a chair & we will share some tales’ :smiley: Fantastic, just confirms how flipping boring & lacking in true characters Transport is today :frowning: :cry: . Regards Chris

Too many rules and regulations now health and safety gone mad.