Angry drivers and warehouse monkeys

Encountered some very angry and short tempered warehouse staff and drivers at work. Not directly at me but I’ve seen them lose the plot with people and it can make the brief yard/warehouse moments toxic.
In 14 years of vending my colleagues were great but I had the occasional angry member of the public or customer have a rant. When bus driving the public were the worst ever but my colleagues were the best people I’ve ever worked with. However now I’m doing class 1 driving I’m finding some of the other drivers and a couple of the warehouse staff to have zero patience and anger issues.
Customers are great (after bus driving they all are) and if they are a bit hot headed I just smile and ignore them. Even when on the road I observe so many anger lorry drivers with road rage. People need to let things slide and take it easy.

Welcome to the modern world. Angry, greedy, selfish people everywhere. :unamused:

Obviously too much time spent in the warehouse environment not enough time out on the road enjoying the outside environment and the solitude of your own company.

Too much caffeine on top of too much job induced stress, must be what some ■■■■■ site managers love to see.
I think it all got worse after covid, pent up rage must be being let out.
Sad really.

Narc:
Too much caffeine on top of too much job induced stress, must be what some [zb] site managers love to see.
Sad really.

I think you’re right, up to a point. It’s the pent up rage, frustration, stress etc, and then something triggers it. The straw that broke the camels back, kind of thing.

I lost it myself several years ago. Tired, etc. I pulled up at a warehouse to load. Big arrows, Loading Book In this way. So I walked in and gave the guy my load details.
He said, “book in at the office!”, “pardon?” from me. “Book in at the office” as if talking to a child. I just flew off the handle, completely, absolutely lost it.
And while my mouth was going “YADA YADA YADA”, my head was going “WTF are you doing? Shut up FFS”.

A truck had been parked right in front of the office, which had a huge sign, right across the front of it and very clearly visible. But only if there isn’t a truck parked in front of it.
Because the road was a bit narrow, I’d driven past the truck to park, not seen the office at all, seen the ‘book in here’ signs and assumed that was where I went to book in.
Stupid of me, obviously. Everyone knows, it’s NEVER that easy.
What I was supposed to do was park and book in at the office, using my load reference. The office would give me a loading reference, which I would then use to book in at the loading bay office. I mean, who would possibly think, “Loading, Book In, this way” would actually mean Loading, Book In, this way? Utterly ridiculous of me.

Utterly ridiculous that I lost it like that too. It even took me by surprise :smiley:

PaddyTheLorryDriver:
Encountered some very angry and short tempered warehouse staff and drivers at work.

We’ve been flat out for the last 2 years. The pandemic for those who ended up working made things even worse especially if you were involved in any way in stuff that could be bought from supermarkets or online. Demand on the logistics sector increased massively at the same time the labour pool shrank as we left the EU, some EU citizens returned home and companies were no longer able to hire people from the EU unless they were already here.

Where I’m at it’s basically felt like the annual sales period since summer 2020. Balls to the wall, the quiet period post sale from mid-November never happened, the quiet period from January to March for those of us on agency never happened.

At some point working people at a high rate for an extended period of time is going to result in them reacting in that way whenever there’s a problem.

Simon:

Narc:
Too much caffeine on top of too much job induced stress, must be what some [zb] site managers love to see.
Sad really.

I think you’re right, up to a point. It’s the pent up rage, frustration, stress etc, and then something triggers it. The straw that broke the camels back, kind of thing.

I lost it myself several years ago. Tired, etc. I pulled up at a warehouse to load. Big arrows, Loading Book In this way. So I walked in and gave the guy my load details.
He said, “book in at the office!”, “pardon?” from me. “Book in at the office” as if talking to a child. I just flew off the handle, completely, absolutely lost it.
And while my mouth was going “YADA YADA YADA”, my head was going “WTF are you doing? Shut up FFS”.

A truck had been parked right in front of the office, which had a huge sign, right across the front of it and very clearly visible. But only if there isn’t a truck parked in front of it.
Because the road was a bit narrow, I’d driven past the truck to park, not seen the office at all, seen the ‘book in here’ signs and assumed that was where I went to book in.
Stupid of me, obviously. Everyone knows, it’s NEVER that easy.
What I was supposed to do was park and book in at the office, using my load reference. The office would give me a loading reference, which I would then use to book in at the loading bay office. I mean, who would possibly think, “Loading, Book In, this way” would actually mean Loading, Book In, this way? Utterly ridiculous of me.

Utterly ridiculous that I lost it like that too. It even took me by surprise :smiley:

Haha at least you have owned up to that minor lapse of bad behavior Simon…

We are all guilty of the occasional miss judgement or loss of senses, it’s human and understandable with the hours we work.
The biggest problem is when it becomes regular and people don’t even know they are doing it.
Then it’s time to seek help or change jobs :question:

Yeah been there done that just this week in fact got back to yard after a particularly tiring and frustrating day having used up all of my " professional patiance " i explained to the booking clark that i was running short of shift time and could only fuel up and park up who then totally ignored my situation and told me to go and get dekitted on door such and such ( which can take a very long time if they are on shift change ) while i did not go full raging hulk a very pointed REALLY and staring daggers in an incredulous manner was enough to get a serious telling off even when i pointed out that if i go over 3 reduced breaks in a week i would be in very serious trouble with vosa etc etc etc
its a pet peave of mine that being told to do somthing by someone who has no idea of the complexities of drivers hours but just because i told you to do it another example is do your hi viz up at the front we now have a 360 degree visability policy yet another i thought this up to look like im contribiuting idea ( apparently applies inside office spaces as well ) total cobblers i gaurentee if you walk across a busy yard without a hi viz on you will get shouted at more than if you were wearing one thus you are more visable without a hi viz :smiley:

After 8 months of trucking this is by far the worst part of the job for me. I can handle long days with little sleep, ■■■■■■ car drivers, ■■■■■■ planning, wrong addresses etc etc etc. But getting to a site and the staff are rude and ■■■■■■ off that you don’t already know how to do their completely unique 8 step procedure for getting tipped, its just soul destroying. Being talked to like you are a moron for not knowing things you cannot possibly know until you are told, knowing you have to keep your cool because they have pretty much all the power over how the rest of your day is going to go… Oh christ, sometimes I want to pack it all in then and there.

Then I finally get out on the road again, i’ve got a nice audio book on and the sun is setting. Phew, its ok.