Anglian water tanker driver

Just seen this on the job centre / anglian water website…

LGV Driver

Ref WAS796RR
Region Suffolk
Job Level Driver
Area of Interest RTS / LGV Tanker Driving
Job Type Permanent Full Time

£9.37 per hour
23 Days Leave
Pension
Private Health Care
Based in Cliff Quay
Closing Date: 21 January 2011
What will the role involve?

As a member of our Regional Tankering Services (RTS) Logistics department, you’ll work to a schedule to ensure the safe transportation of liquid sludge between our source works and treatment centres. You’ll be responsible for updating the controlling team with potential Health and Safety issues whilst also ensuring you maintain accurate reporting of driving hours and work completed.

What are we looking for?

A Class 1 driver, you’ll have the confidence to use your initiative to work independently, with the ability to follow process and complete daily and weekly paperwork.

What we can offer you?

In return you’ll enjoy a flexible working environment with various shift patterns and the opportunity to work overtime.

… anyone know what these are like to work for? what kind of hours etc??

Lee

I was offered a job working out of Linton Cambs doing this…I tried it for a few days but my stomach couldn’t take it…one of them jobs that you’ve either got stomach for it or not lol…it’s easy work on the 8 wheelers we used to be asked to do 5 jobs a day but it didn’t matter if you couldnt do them you’ll prob be running in and out of Chelmsford kings Lynn or Cambridge …it’s easy easy work no strain or stress good money…although it’s advertised as class one they will sometimes expect you to drive an 8 wheeler …all volvos decent trucks 400/420 cracking job if you can handle the smell lol

lol yea the smell and nature of the job is the downside but as you say easy work and not a bad hourly rate at all … and i spose ■■■■ is recession proof hey!

Knew someone who worked for them as an engineer, wasn’t keen on the management but otherwise was quite happy.

The tanker job is advertised quite regularly around here, I’ll let you draw your own conclusions though.

Yes, have seen it advertised a few times recently. That’s sometimes a sign of the way things are…

I answered an advert for this job some years ago, never heard from them.

The overtime rate is paid at a time and a turd !!

Hi all, I work for them on nights like others have said its easy work. The day shift is tues wed thurs one week mon fri sat the next.
Start time 4.30am till 1800-18-30. Reason mainly for highish turnover is that some of the sites can be tricky to get into and the smell.
I see the day drivers sheets and they do 3-6 loads a day normally this is easy to achieve but things can go wrong ie site your tipping at
becomes full so you sit and wait till it clears and if you can’t complete jobs you just let them know never a problem . lorrys are volvo
as said already and well maintained

DUFFMAN:
The overtime rate is paid at a time and a turd !!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

so you get quite a few days off then, but does it pay well, do you get overtime rate after so many hours? what sort of sites you tip at then? … time and a turd :smiley:

missdotty1:
Hi all, I work for them on nights like others have said its easy work. The day shift is tues wed thurs one week mon fri sat the next.
Start time 4.30am till 1800-18-30. Reason mainly for highish turnover is that some of the sites can be tricky to get into and the smell.
I see the day drivers sheets and they do 3-6 loads a day normally this is easy to achieve but things can go wrong ie site your tipping at
becomes full so you sit and wait till it clears and if you can’t complete jobs you just let them know never a problem . lorrys are volvo
as said already and well maintained

Hi harwichtrucker,

The tipping sites are mostly large sites just solely for tipping, which is connect a pipe and blow the stuff off takes about 20 mins. Of top of my head ones round here are peterborough,kingslynn,billing, northampton, cambridge,canwick,milton keynes,crimsby there are lots of others but you will mostly only work out of a couple of them,
The collections are from the sewage collection sites now there are lots of them and some are awkward to get into (narrow concrete roads)
but you do get a site finder book lists directions to all sites and there is always a manned phone with someone who can talk you in, motors are tracked so they know where you are, or patch you through to another driver for directions, Pay i’m on nights and i average about £1650 take home a month will minimal overtime, days is obviously a bit less your paid overtime after a set amount of monthly hours last month was overtime after 158hours i think. Days and nights is same overtime rate of £11.71

I did it for a few weeks down in Cornwall for Gregorys. Once you got used to the smell (a few days) it was a doddle. Also on sewage, you run on domestic hours. I would do it again for the right money.