angina

i have just been told i have angina…i am 58…i have been driving since 1974 when i came out the merchant navy as an edh…in the past 2 weeks since i have been told i have angina…i think am going down hill fast…the way things are right now i dont see me getting ma hgv back…i only done 8 minutes on the treadmill…it was the nurse at the royal infirmary glasgow…who told me to stop the test…am now climbing the wall in here (hoose)…ma days are numbered :unamused:

Sorry to hear that :frowning: my mrs had a similar problem a few years back (also same age as you). Have you had an angiagram? if it’s found you have a blocked artery hopefully you’ll have the option of a stent (angioplasty) being fitted, this opens up the blocked artery and allows the blood to flow better. She was a different person after the stent was fitted (ironically she now has cancer), good luck :wink:

Tiger.

Sorry to hear your news mate. I have known a few people have heart trouble and get their license back ok including someone who even had a proper bypass operation. I imagine that you feel devastated at the moment but nowadays it doesn’t necesarily mean the end of your career at all. Hope you get better soon.

Been there, done it, got the stents, I was back on the road after four months, the main thing is to remain positive, best of luck.

Fastrantiger:
Sorry to hear that :frowning: my mrs had a similar problem a few years back (also same age as you). Have you had an angiagram? if it’s found you have a blocked artery hopefully you’ll have the option of a stent (angioplasty) being fitted, this opens up the blocked artery and allows the blood to flow better. She was a different person after the stent was fitted (ironically she now has cancer), good luck :wink:

Tiger.

she has over come one challenge and she will over come that, all the best for her and you

i’v had the stents and in a months time i got the treadmill so am now on build up for the big day, keep with it, dont let it worry you, stay positive and try again, good luck

i know a bloke that had a triple bypass and got his hgv back less that a year after.

PM sent

all the very best to you knight of the road i have been told i have heart murmer very high blood preasure and shadowing on chest also got to go on treadmill not looking forward to that keep chin up mate.regards martyn

Big Joe:
Been there, done it, got the stents, I was back on the road after four months, the main thing is to remain positive, best of luck.

well done ma friend i have angina i go into hospital on 23rd this month i am 48 realy hope a get my hgv back would be lost without it its in your blood a think been driving artics for 26yrs couldnt imagine not doing it will do ma best and keep ma fingers crossed uv made me feel better wasnt sure how long it would take thank you

It’s certainly not the end of the world mate.
It’s the letter that comes with the appointment for the angiagram that does it, “This procedure could bring on a heart attack” I know! I went and sorted my will out prior to going for that!!
But they will put the stents in there & then if they’re needed, and you come home the next day. within a couple of days you’re as fit as a fiddle. I think you need to be in balance for about 3 months then you can apply for you class one back.
Ask questions, get answers from the medics etc. but you will be OK.

Remember, you now know that you have a bit of a problem and you’ll be sorted and told how to best look after it, it’s the buggers that don’t know they have a problem that come unstuck!

Had Heart Attack 23rd dec 2009 went in and had tripple by-pass in Feb 2010 (in fact 2 days after you posted this thread on the 10th) felt like s–t until around June/July started back at work in October 2010 on 7.5 tonner then went for treadmill test and received the news that I could now have my HGV licence back so as The Real Biffo says its not the end of the world mate, think positive at all times.

Stanfield:
Had Heart Attack 23rd dec 2009 went in and had tripple by-pass in Feb 2010 (in fact 2 days after you posted this thread on the 10th) felt like s–t until around June/July started back at work in October 2010 on 7.5 tonner then went for treadmill test and received the news that I could now have my HGV licence back so as The Real Biffo says its not the end of the world mate, think positive at all times.

thanks ma friend . i had my op 3weeks ago had 2 stents fitted feel much better now waiting on dvla giving me date for treadmill test dont know how long that will take. but i will wait my time just hope i can get back to driving. glad you are ok pal very encouraged with your result i hope mine is the same good luck ma friend fantastic you take care

Hi huggy.Just a little advise for you, try to get on a treadmill a couple of times a week to get used to it if you can because the one you do for dvla is for approx 9mins but it speeds up and goes up an incline while you are on it after 3 minute intervals and it does become a little strenuous.Good Luck when you do it mate and let us know how you get on.By the way it could be 2/3 month before you get an apointment.But they will let you drive your car again 6 week after the op and this also should include 7.5 tonne trucks.

Stanfield:
Hi huggy.Just a little advise for you, try to get on a treadmill a couple of times a week to get used to it if you can because the one you do for dvla is for approx 9mins but it speeds up and goes up an incline while you are on it after 3 minute intervals and it does become a little strenuous.Good Luck when you do it mate and let us know how you get on.By the way it could be 2/3 month before you get an apointment.But they will let you drive your car again 6 week after the op and this also should include 7.5 tonne trucks.

thanks ma friend a had treadmill before op thats how they found my angina . managed to do 13mins but failed because of condition a will have a few goes at it in next few weeks; just to be ready am feeling a lot better now than i was before so al see how it goes i will let you know thanks again pal merry xmas to you and your family when it comes around take care now

huggy:

Stanfield:

thanks ma friend a had treadmill before op thats how they found my angina . managed to do 13mins but failed because of condition a will have a few goes at it in next few weeks; just to be ready am feeling a lot better now than i was before so al see how it goes i will let you know thanks again pal merry xmas to you and your family when it comes around take care now

Well hya stanfield a thought ad just let you know i got my licence back 2wks ago and am back at work just takin things easy cardiac rehab people are brilliant they told me i had a heart attack during the op bit unlucky with that but dvla have been ok bit slow but i got there hope u and your family are all well thanks again for your advice mate cheers again