And you wonder why? truckers get a bad name!

maybe the driver was thinking i’m at the mile split m6 north (1.5 mile m6 south)if the lane markings were correct or there were 4 lanes i would be entitled to use this lane so i will encourage them to get the paint brush out…in my opinion near this spot northbound should be

lane 1 m6 north m6 south

lane 2 m6 south m42 north

lane 3 m42 north all vehiciles

Krankee:

Coffeeholic:
From the Highway Code:

The right-hand lane of a motorway with three or more lanes MUST NOT be used (except in prescribed circumstances) if you are driving
any vehicle drawing a trailer
a goods vehicle with a maximum laden weight over 7.5 tonnes
a passenger vehicle with a maximum laden weight exceeding 7.5 tonnes constructed or adapted to carry more than eight seated passengers in addition to the driver.

Hope that helps.

The noticeable thing here is that it ONLY applies to Motorways.

Once, on the A46 northbound towards Coventry, lanes 1 and 2 were congested leading up to the exit to the A45, and suddenly, an artic goes into lane 3 and continues towards Cov.

1st Thought. He’s not allowed to do that.
2nd Thought. Perhaps he is.

Looked it up, and he was perfectly entitled to be in Lane 3.

I can’t think of many other situations where it might happen, but it’s certainly a provosi to keep in mind when it might be quicker to Lane 3’it to the next intersersection and then come back from the opposite direction. The A2 Westbound to the M25 is the only other possibility that springs to mind.
[/quote]

North circular as well Ken.