And you call yourself a planner?

One of the planners in our office on nights is putting himself through his HGV training, taking advantage of the new combined course, hoping to get himself on the road once he’s passed it all, and I’ve been trying to help him along and give him tips and advice, mainly because I want to swap jobs with him to get off the road.
He did his reversing and coupling at the weekend, all went fine.
Yesterday was the day of his test, so when I saw him I asked him how his test had gone. ‘It didn’t’ was his reply, ‘couldn’t have been that bad surely mate?’ I asked, to which he answered ‘I did the drive to the test centre and realised I’d left my driving licence in my car!’
Talk about planing!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cannot think of anything worse than being a planner. Universally disliked and sneered at, moaned, accused of favouritism by everyone (yes, quote funny when you look at it) and having to spoon feed, ■■■■ wipe and hand hold the vast majority of drivers. Nah… not again. Ever.

If you’ve got drivers who you can rely on to do the job and just get on with it, keep them. They’re rare.

Our place only has a fairly small fleet and all the work is about as simple and straightforward as it gets, just trunking between depots.
I’m already a qualified TM but can’t get a transport manager job until I’ve got some office experience, so it’s a small backwards step to hopefully take a forward step soon

Terry Cooksey:
Our place only has a fairly small fleet and all the work is about as simple and straightforward as it gets, just trunking between depots.
I’m already a qualified TM but can’t get a transport manager job until I’ve got some office experience, so it’s a small backwards step to hopefully take a forward step soon

If I was you I’d have looked at compliance jobs before a planning job myself. At least in compliance your using your TM qualification in some way more than as a planner any idiot can plan, as they often do and quite badly [emoji23] most places would be better off hiring monkeys and giving them a map on the wall and darts to throw at it [emoji23]

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

simcor:
most places would be better off hiring monkeys and giving them a map on the wall and darts to throw at it [emoji23]

lol, true. Some people in transport at our place…would be better for everyone if they only showed up for work but didn’t touch/say anything- just pay them to do nothing would be better financially for the company than have them make decisions / oversee things.

I’m glad to see its not just our planners that are useless. Throwing darts at a map must be in the job description!!!

Stephenjp:
I’m glad to see its not just our planners that are useless. Throwing darts at a map must be in the job description!!!

I think there is only one of ours that could actually assemble a dart.

And he would miss the map and hit the skirting board. The only output from the others is co2.

simcor:

Terry Cooksey:

If I was you I’d have looked at compliance jobs before a planning job myself. At least in compliance your using your TM qualification in some way more than as a planner any idiot can plan, as they often do and quite badly [emoji23] most places would be better off hiring monkeys and giving them a map on the wall and darts to throw at it [emoji23]

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I thought most big companies did that any way

Stephenjp:

A map!? Luxury…
I used to work for a company who had set routes for set work, then some idiot in the office decided to “improve efficiency” and changed all the routes.

I took their new routes into the office and asked them
“Where’s the map you used to draw up the new routes?”
“We didn’t use a map” they replied.
“I know, I was being sarcastic” I said.

Then produced my trucker’s atlas to point out to them that the blue line between Newcastle/North Tyneside and Gateshead/South Tyneside was a river to which there was only a limited number of crossing points, none of which coincided with their “shortest line between two sites” plan which had me zig-zagging north/south the length of the Tyne :unamused: