And we're off!

Got a phone call yesterday from my friendly local company (see ‘Gutted’ thread), asking if I could help them out with a day driving today, taking some drops down from Essex to Hampshire. Agreed straight away, then asked what it was in - ‘Only a 7.5 ton - do you mind?’.

‘No, not at all, happy to help’

So off I trundle at 515 this morning, loading up with 7 drops, ranging from a cardboard box about the size of a coke can, up to 10 mini-pallets with bits on weighing about 15kg each.

As I got to the first drop, got a call from the office asking if I was free tomorrow? Said I’d have to change a couple of appointments, and would get back to them. This was to take a trailer from Essex to Milton Keynes, tip & reload, and back to Essex.

I phoned back 1/2 hour later, to confirm, to get told, sorry, that one fell through. We’ve got another load for you though - it will mean a night away, do you mind?

Give me some time to think about it - yep OK.

So tomorrow morning, I’ll be wending my way from Essex up to Skelmersdale, & Wigan, overnighting, then reloading at Birkenhead and tipping in St Albans. So if you see a Blue 02 reg MAN, pulling a blue curtainsider, plodding up the M11, A14, M6 etc, give me a wide berth! You’ll recognise me, I’ll be the one with the terrified look on his face!

Gary

Take care and good luck - hope it goes well.

scaniason:
I’ll be the one with the terrified look on his face!

Hey, you’ll no if its me that waves, i look the same :open_mouth:

Madguy :imp:

Just remember to enjoy it mate!

I am here: tapatalk.com/map.php?ymfomi

Well done Gary, sounds like you,ve got sorted with a good company :slight_smile: All the best with it :sunglasses:

congratulations on getting that first class 1 run , just take it easy at your pace dont be rushed and you will be fine , getting the goods to dest in one piece and the lorry back with all its paint is the main priority , by the time you reach Wigan you will be feeling a lot better prob feeling more comfortable by the time you get out of essex :wink:

good luck hope all goes fine get some pics and come back and tell us all how well it went :smiley:

jen x

Well, I’m at Newport pagnall services, feeling like an old pro ( no not really!). Was wondering what I’d let myself in for this morning, setting off in a fully loaded artic in the dark and rain, but I got put of the village without hitting any kerbs, and had got my head around the gearbox (comfort shift) by the time I was at Braintree. Another 200miles to work out the rest, like 'why does that marker light on the back of the trailer seem so far away!

First drop was nice and easy, reverse in from the road, wide road, wide driveway. 22 tons off, and up the road to Skelmersdale. What a difference! Narrow road, driveway had a truck parked on both corners, and blindside! 3 shunts, and finally got in. Even the forkie comgratulated me when I told him it was my first day!

Then reload at Birkenhead for St Albans, which is where I’ll be at 8 tomorrow.

Time for bed now, feel totally drained!

scaniason:
Well, I’m at Newport pagnall services, feeling like an old pro ( no not really!). Was wondering what I’d let myself in for this morning, setting off in a fully loaded artic in the dark and rain, but I got put of the village without hitting any kerbs, and had got my head around the gearbox (comfort shift) by the time I was at Braintree. Another 200miles to work out the rest, like 'why does that marker light on the back of the trailer seem so far away!

First drop was nice and easy, reverse in from the road, wide road, wide driveway. 22 tons off, and up the road to Skelmersdale. What a difference! Narrow road, driveway had a truck parked on both corners, and blindside! 3 shunts, and finally got in. Even the forkie comgratulated me when I told him it was my first day!

Then reload at Birkenhead for St Albans, which is where I’ll be at 8 tomorrow.

Time for bed now, feel totally drained!

Go on, treat yourself, you’ve earned it! :grimacing:

Brilliant knew you’d be fine good on ya how was your first night in lorry did you sleep ok , hope today going well, you got the weather today enjoy
Jx

Hmm, I’ve just seen the picture on a real screen - think something’'s gone wrong with the sizing - I don’t think it’s really that talll & thin!

It’s been a great couple of days - I’ll do a proper write-up over the weekend, but as so many people have said, never give up hope, there’s a start out there! :smiley:

Gary