Ancient brits heading east!

I stand to be corrected on this but after thinking about it , i am fairly certain this was driven by a young lad 16 and his dad drove another similar heap down there i dont know what happened to them after that but at the time it was the talk of the run i did meet the youngster in YU but never thought to take a pic. (where have i heard that before!) They came from the Peterborough area.

These pics are brilliant keep `em coming

LB76:
I stand to be corrected on this but after thinking about it , i am fairly certain this was driven by a young lad 16 and his dad drove another similar heap down there i dont know what happened to them after that but at the time it was the talk of the run i did meet the youngster in YU but never thought to take a pic. (where have i heard that before!) They came from the Peterborough area.

What you on about Bill? :confused:

Previous pic ? atki ? pay attention lad !

LB76:
Previous pic ? atki ? pay attention lad !

lol

Many thanks Ash, Ian.
Yes that is the ChrisToni Ford Transcon, I have it from another angle taken at the same time.It has London on the side doors too.Presume this was abandoned shortly before the pictures were taken as the aircon unit etc still remain…ie, little pilfering had been done.
They are as the thread indicates literally just abandoned, was the driver injured or just had enough ?which seems likely per Ians comment.Still a lot of kit just to abandon.
Ian, I have just purchased a great picture of a Carmans Ford Transconti , registration number : MFA 413P.It is in the Carman yard on a hot sunny day, hitched up to Brit European tilt, both cab doors open with Arabic writing on the front grill.Looks like it is about ready to leave the yard for the Middle East.

These are great pictures lads keep them coming
Nice to see some AECs doing m/e and scammell handyman well engineered but let down by the cab

LB76 wrote:
Atki come to grief Eastern Turkey 1974.jpg

This is what i was on about Ash, the page flipped over on the thread so it made it look a bit discombobulated. I.e.this is the one i was referring to when i posted that bit about the young driver in Turkey.

Sorry, meant to say was the Carman Transconti yours Ian ?

Some of todays breed won`t have a night out in a topline Scania 500 these days, good thread ash, Hearts like Lions :smiley:

I remember Ossie MacIntosh pulling into the Mocamp in a Ford D1000 double manning with another driver whose last name was Smith and they were going to Tehran about 76. The truck was owned by the Popely Bros, Johnny and Ronnie (the brothers Grimm as they have been known) and was on a one way trip as it was being sold in Iran along with a E type Jag that Ronnie was driving around Istanbul but had already been involved in an accident in Yugo; it was taken across to Iadins for repairs to the brakes and bodywork but whether the load ever reached Iran I could’nt say.

Suedehead:
Cracking pics.
At least the Marsden had a sleeper :sunglasses:
Is the Volvo one of Taffy Davis motors?

I’m pretty sure in the book '‘Bagdad Trucker’ he talks about Taffy Davis running an F88,so it could well be mate.

Taffy Davis also ran a 240 horse Borderer with a sleeper cab on overland work,there must be some photos of it somewhere?

Great thread Ash mate,good one.

Here’s another old Brit than went East,what a motor,a ‘Space Cab Cheese Grater’ it sure looks different. With a massive 265 horse,you could have a party in that cab,talk about roomy.

truckerash:

bestbooties:

Ringrose:
I have a picture of an abandoned Ford Transconti - CrisToni of London , I am sure some of you drivers saw it out there ?

Is this the Transcon that turned over on the Tapline in Saudi? I remember talking to an o/d one time in Ramtha while hitching his way home who’s name I believe was Chris.
This particular guy was on his first trip and making the fatal mistake of thinking that the Tapline was dead straight ALL the was down,not so! There are only a few bends,but when you are driving on autopilot and you come across an unexpected bend and you’re doing over 60,there’s only one end,a rolled Transcon in this case.

Ian / Ringrose; I think this is the Transcon. Reg ?LN 832P.

Ash,
Don’t remember the reg,in fact the guys name and the incident is one of those things long forgotten that was triggered by mention of the Transcon and the drivers name,names are one thing I’m not too good at remembering from that long ago,took me several trips meeting someone to get to remember their name!However,sometimes names from a one off meeting can come rushing back.
However,the reg,a P, and the location would be about right I’m thinking,that could be one of the few bends that were not in built up areas,(Built up?) but between Turayf and A’rar there were one or two bends.
If you go to “Flash Earth” and locate Turayf,(31 degrees 40’ 53" N,38 degrees 40’ 23" E) and scroll down the Tapline you can pick out the few bends there were.

truckerash:

LB76:

I reckon you are right Ian. Dark roof (blue) and red doors (thrown from cab).
quote]

At the time I saw this motor it was well stripped,no wheels,windows.This would be late '76 early '77.

Ringrose:
Many thanks Ash, Ian.
Ian, I have just purchased a great picture of a Carmans Ford Transconti , registration number : MFA 413P.It is in the Carman yard on a hot sunny day, hitched up to Brit European tilt, both cab doors open with Arabic writing on the front grill.Looks like it is about ready to leave the yard for the Middle East.

That would be the sister Transcon to mine,which was PDM 542P, of the pair that Carmans bought,driven by Dave Prosser from the Trowbridge depot.

Hi all.Does anyone remember the Turkish Cypriot lad from London who ran 2 ford d1000’s regularly to Turkey in the 70s with his father.
Booties.What was the reg of Goldies Ford.I sat for 5 days at Gurbulak with him but can’t see the reg in the pic i have. :frowning: It’s quite a nice pic with Goldies Ford with a gigantic[for the time]supercube trlr,me with Simons F89 road train and Chapman and Ball also with a supercube.All big stuff. :open_mouth:
Just to see how clever your memory is who.Who drove FTU 568N,it’s not a Ford[i know]but wonder if you do :slight_smile:

Hiya…when i used to park on toddy in the 80’s there was a couple of fords D series that parked there that did turkey.
they was a dark grey with thin yellow …red…green and blue lines going on the angel up the curtain and iicr into a circle
sorry no photo’s…in those days i thought is was just a longway, i never really thought of the problems you could have,
its just since i’ve studdied the books that people have published i take my hat of to them.
John

NZ JAMIE:
Taffy Davis also ran a 240 horse Borderer with a sleeper cab on overland work,there must be some photos of it somewhere?

Yes, there is a picture of it in a book, being dragged out of a ditch in, I think, Turkey.

It became this:

TBR737R-A Versatile Borderer by ekawrecker, on Flickr

and now:

Atkinson borderer tbr737r by richfergi.t21, on Flickr

240 Gardner:

NZ JAMIE:

Yes, there is a picture of it in a book, being dragged out of a ditch in, I think, Turkey.

It became this:

TBR737R-A Versatile Borderer by ekawrecker, on Flickr

and now:

Atkinson borderer tbr737r by richfergi.t21, on Flickr

Wow look at those leaf springs and no cab suspension, what luxury! How they spoiled us at Pandoro :frowning: