Ancient brits heading east!

In the early days before “The National” became our regular truckstop,many of us used the truckpark on the left going south on the way out of Belgrade.
On Brit European we were using a lot of Eurofleet Rental trailers,and on my first or second trip coming back from Baghdad,myself and Bob Matthews met up with a guy working for Eurofleet who had dropped on the job of travelling around Europe recovering abandoned trailers.
On this particular day,there was a Eurofleet tilt with a load on from Turkey probably,that had been abandoned and of course it didn’t take long for the ants to start devouring it.There were a couple of wheels missing and one or two brake hoses.As Bob and I were homeward bound,we lent him our spare wheels and helped blank off any air lines that were incomplete to get it mobile.
At first our boss could not understand why we had handed over our spare wheels when so far from home,but we were vindicated after the following trip when we got back.Ron Carman called us into the office to tell us there was a very nice letter of thanks from the MD of Eurofleet and a cheque for £25 each for Bob and I for doing what came naturally on that job,helping another driver in trouble.
It was help that was given with no expectation of reward but nice to see one boss who appreciated driver comeraderie.

bestbooties:
In the early days before “The National” became our regular truckstop,many of us used the truckpark on the left going south on the way out of Belgrade.
On Brit European we were using a lot of Eurofleet Rental trailers,and on my first or second trip coming back from Baghdad,myself and Bob Matthews met up with a guy working for Eurofleet who had dropped on the job of travelling around Europe recovering abandoned trailers.
On this particular day,there was a Eurofleet tilt with a load on from Turkey probably,that had been abandoned and of course it didn’t take long for the ants to start devouring it.There were a couple of wheels missing and one or two brake hoses.As Bob and I were homeward bound,we lent him our spare wheels and helped blank off any air lines that were incomplete to get it mobile.
At first our boss could not understand why we had handed over our spare wheels when so far from home,but we were vindicated after the following trip when we got back.Ron Carman called us into the office to tell us there was a very nice letter of thanks from the MD of Eurofleet and a cheque for £25 each for Bob and I for doing what came naturally on that job,helping another driver in trouble.
It was help that was given with no expectation of reward but nice to see one boss who appreciated driver comeraderie.

And I could just imagine Ron keeping the cheques !!
LOL !!!

truckerash:
After reading all the comments regarding this photo (put on the Astran/Middle East drivers thread by Orientmack), I thought it would be good to see what other “gems” we can find.

Courtesy of Roger WIlliams (Willhire). Anyone recognise these?

Fabulous photos Ash, thank you! I’m fascinated by some of these “less suitable” motors used on trips to the M/E.

I wonder if this is the same Atki that Ian Taylor photographed, after it had come to grief with the Willhire van on the back? The colours look quite similar and distinctive.

Marsden Vanplan. Baghdad customs. Imagine that coming across the desert through a cloud of dust! :laughing: :laughing:

A selection from the “fine fleet” of Bill Thirtle. Snapped at the Mo-Camp “on route” to Baghdad!

This one was “actually” moving! Check out the roof rack !

FFS … I used to moan if I had to take a FORD D as far as Newcastle … never mind Baghdad :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation:
Talk about heroes :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Jerry

Fantastic stuff! Cheers Ash.

Regards,

Mark.

Cracking pics.
At least the Marsden had a sleeper :sunglasses:
Is the Volvo one of Taffy Davis motors?

BMC Mastiff, By Tahir

That would be abut all that Mastiff would want on it’s back !

Yes, that red and black Atki does look like the same one that has met it’s end on the Willhire Rental Trailer, maybe someone can confirm ?
I have a picture of an abandoned Ford Transconti - CrisToni of London , I am sure some of you drivers saw it out there ?
Some of those trucks are a bit questionable for such a long journey…it is almost as if anything that moved was pressed into service ! And with nonsleeper cabs…
Interesting thread though. :slight_smile:

Ringrose:
Yes, that red and black Atki does look like the same one that has met it’s end on the Willhire Rental Trailer, maybe someone can confirm ?
I have a picture of an abandoned Ford Transconti - CrisToni of London , I am sure some of you drivers saw it out there ?
Some of those trucks are a bit questionable for such a long journey…it is almost as if anything that moved was pressed into service ! And with nonsleeper cabs…
Interesting thread though. :slight_smile:

Is this the Transcon that turned over on the Tapline in Saudi?
I remember talking to an o/d one time in Ramtha while hitching his way home who’s name I believe was Chris.
This particular guy was on his first trip and making the fatal mistake of thinking that the Tapline was dead straight ALL the was down,not so!
There are only a few bends,but when you are driving on autopilot and you come across an unexpected bend and you’re doing over 60,there’s only one end,a rolled Transcon in this case.

Hiya ian… when youve finished your project ther’s a 2600 DAF in this garden to be restored,
its been there 12 years or more as i know, sorry its not a very good photo some TN member
might stop and get one for us. its sitting on the B6265 ripon to boroughbridge road
MG]
someone might have a story about her.
John

This thread is turning out to be one of the best, and surely worthy of another book Ash.
I can recall Reads of Peterborough sending a day-cab D-Series artic and a day-cab Foden artic to the M/E.
They also sent a demo Transcon, which for some reason had the bunks removed.
Strange thing was, the drivers of all 3 were happy to go! A different breed!

gb1:

This thread is turning out to be one of the best, and surely worthy of another book Ash.
I can recall Reads of Peterborough sending a day-cab D-Series artic and a day-cab Foden artic to the M/E.

The second Transcon that Ford submitted to Commercial Motor, for roadtest, had the bunks removed, if I remember correctly. This was to reduce its unladen weight, which was higher than many of the day-cab units popular at the time. Maybe it was this lorry which went.

[zb]
anorak:

gb1:

The second Transcon that Ford submitted to Commercial Motor, for roadtest, had the bunks removed, if I remember correctly. This was to reduce its unladen weight, which was higher than many of the day-cab units popular at the time. Maybe it was this lorry which went.

Dont forget,the Unions had an input with some very strict Reps,and they banned bunks in cabs for a while!

David :smiley:

[zb]
anorak:

gb1:

I remember that it was green, with the lower panels in the normal white. It was supplied through the local Ford dealer, PM Trucks, who were based
at what later became Murfitts yard at Kings Delph.
It only did 1 trip IIRC, before it was returned to the dealer.
Incidently, PM Trucks was owned by the Read family.

In those days, CM was in black and white. Green had yet to be rationed. Is this Transcon the correct shade of grey?

The reference to the bunks is 1/3 the way down the right column. Reading glasses essential.

During which period did the unions exert their malign influence over the use of nice cabs? I would guess that they had lost control of this by 1975 although, as ever, I may be wrong.

I remember reading on here about the unions making brs rip bunks out of some f88s they had in the 70s and story’s of elaborate man traps been built to prevent drivers using bunks.

bestbooties:

Ringrose:

Is this the Transcon that turned over on the Tapline in Saudi? I remember talking to an o/d one time in Ramtha while hitching his way home who’s name I believe was Chris.
This particular guy was on his first trip and making the fatal mistake of thinking that the Tapline was dead straight ALL the was down,not so! There are only a few bends,but when you are driving on autopilot and you come across an unexpected bend and you’re doing over 60,there’s only one end,a rolled Transcon in this case.

Ian / Ringrose; I think this is the Transcon. Reg ?LN 832P.

LB76:

I reckon you are right Ian. Dark roof (blue) and red doors (thrown from cab).

Ringrose; It could well indeed be this one.