Ancient brits heading east!

Still one of my favourite threads on here!

Photo: Chris Till

A couple more ancient Brit ERFs on the M/E run.

The caption on the magazine cutting states that it was destined to commence regular trips to Tehran. Does anyone know if this actually went ahead?

And this pic of the M/E work in '75 with a day-cabbed Crusader and an LV-cabbed ERF - the very epitome of this splendid thread!

Nottingham LV in 75 on Mid East wk.jpg

Pictures of '60s LV-cabbed ERFs are legion on this thread. The irony is that instead of a knackered day-cabbed ERF with a 150 Gardner and David Brown 6-sp 'box, you could actually have, in 1969, an all-singing, all-dancing ERF with LHD and the new 3MW sleeper cab (see pic below). Not only that, it had an incredible 335 bhp ■■■■■■■ with the (then new) 9-speed Fuller magic gearbox. I say irony, because in those days the trick was to buy an old banger and run it into the ground on Middle-East work whilst making a quick buck. When you really look at the kit that was going down there in the early '70s, it wasn’t just the Brits who were running on a shoe-string, it was other nationalities too. Big companies were running down there with good kit: witness the likes of WhiteTrux with Mercs and F88s; or Eric Vick with ERF NGCs.

I am not sure if that Scammell Crusader belonged to Kieth Raynor from Manchester. :confused:

IMG_0002.jpg

mushroomman:
I am not sure if that Scammell Crusader belonged to Kieth Raynor from Manchester. :confused:

It seems astonishing that so many day-cabs went down there until you remember that sleepers were only just catching on in UK (partly to do with unions, but it just wasn’t in our culture). For example drivers were running down there with ergo day-cabbed AEC when you could actually have in 1969 (if you could get hold of one) a Bollekens cabbed LHD sleeper cabbed AEC Mk 5 (see below)

aec%20bel%20p.PNG

Or, instead of an Atkinson Borderer you could have, again in 1969, a LHD Krupp cabbed sleeper Atkinson. Only 10 were sold as far as I can make out.

continental_18073.jpg

Asian Trans (later Astran) Guy Warrior heading for Afghanistan in the 'sixties. Much has been written about this vehicle and its adventures but I can find nowhere any mention of what engine or gearbox it had, not even in Ashley’s famous book. Somewhere I read that it might have had an AEC engine (rather than a Gardner) but that’s all! Anyone know?

Incidentally, Corgi make quite a good model of these these Guys and I’m amazed that they didn’t produce a complete model of this somewhat iconic vehicle :wink: .

ERF-NGC-European:

The caption on the magazine cutting states that it was destined to commence regular trips to Tehran. Does anyone know if this actually went ahead?

I asked the question Robert but they weren’t sure it ever went abroad but that doesn’t mean it didn’t .The bloke i asked said he used it as a shunter in the goods yard in Bradford he was in his late teens at the time but wasn’t sure about continental work. I do know that Renwicks sent Guy Big Js to Italy they were in the same yard and could have taken over GC Morleys in the 70s

ramone:

ERF-NGC-European:

I asked the question Robert but they weren’t sure it ever went abroad but that doesn’t mean it didn’t .The bloke i asked said he used it as a shunter in the goods yard in Bradford he was in his late teens at the time but wasn’t sure about continental work. I do know that Renwicks sent Guy Big Js to Italy they were in the same yard and could have taken over GC Morleys in the 70s

Thanks for that Ramone :sunglasses:

1 Like

This 1976 advert is an intresting little read. (click on twice)

A bit about that trip was also mentioned on Page 12 of this thread. :slight_smile:

mushroomman:
A bit about that trip was also mentioned on Page 12 of this thread. :slight_smile:

Good pic, the Ford’s seem to cope ok on that trip.

ERF-NGC-European:
And this pic of the M/E work in '75 with a day-cabbed Crusader and an LV-cabbed ERF - the very epitome of this splendid thread!

That ERF LV looks to be a Chinese 6 unit as well.

David

mushroomman:

I think I can just make out Titan Roadways on the door if that helps MM?

David

four

Pic taken apparently in Abu Dhabi. Isn’t that lorry in the foreground a Foden?

Don’t think there’s a Foden there, the red unit is I’m 95% sure, a Fiat. The grey one behind is a Kenworth K100 of Frederici from Switzerland.

Thank you. :face_with_monocle: - wasn’t sure!