Ancient brits heading east!

vwvanman0:

Just spotted this on fb, a different view of the most famous middle east guy big J. Nmp obviously.

Steve

Thats a serious accident, it has pushed the cab back over the 240 engine. :wink:

dave docwra:

vwvanman0:

Just spotted this on fb, a different view of the most famous middle east guy big J. Nmp obviously.

Steve

Thats a serious accident, it has pushed the cab back over the 240 engine. :wink:

:laughing:

dave docwra:

vwvanman0:

Steve

Nice one Dave! :laughing: :laughing:

Not sure about this one. It was on a Middle-East site so could be one of those mystery BRS Crusaders mentioned earlier. Or just Europe or somewhere exotic like Torquay :laughing:

278770437_2570377783098016_4863756885080269434_n.jpg
282197000_2598801203589007_6258442032567504120_n.jpg

Spot the two A-series ERFs and the Foden^^^

Eric Vick did send Ferrymasters tilts down the M/E trail with day cabs but I’m not sure they ever sent this Atki down there!

ISTR one of the Atkis many problems on ME work is that the cabs got soft in the heat in Saudi/Qatar etc. and the windscreens fell out.

EDIT: or maybe the wood frames shrinking :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

whisperingsmith:
ISTR one of the Atkis many problems on ME work is that the cabs got soft in the heat in Saudi/Qatar etc. and the windscreens fell out.

EDIT: or maybe the wood frames shrinking :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

That explains a lot! :smiley:

Another BRS Crusader on Middle-East work!

Glorious!

Looking at this list (an index from a book about Brit-built trucks incl. Volvo Ailsa), there are a fair few represented on this thread one way or another!

I would have said that was a Crusader … or am I looking at the wrong motor ?

vwvanman0:

Steve

The same Guy shown in this article from 1978.

Click on page twice to read.

me 1978 missing word “protect themselves effectively” p brits going east.jpg

Eddie Heaton:
I would have said that was a Crusader … or am I looking at the wrong motor ?

Sorry! Slip of the pen there :unamused: . I’ve edited it. Thanks

I spy with my little eye, a Seddon-Atkinson 400 behind the vehicle on the left…

DEANB:

vwvanman0:

Steve

The same Guy shown in this article from 1978.

Click on page twice to read.

True. Though the picture bears very little relevance to the article, which is all about accidents in Saudi; whereas the Guy met its end in Turkey I believe.

The 3rd Party insurance for East of Istanbul wasn’t part of the Fully comp provided by UK insurers.

I had a really good insurance Broker who found me 3rd party insurance provided by Commercial Union in Dubai.
I passed the info on to many others & he picked up a lot of business from UK/ME hauliers.

I also had a really good agent in Saudi, another plus when dealing with local law & custom.

I once had a subby pulled over and accused of causing the death of 4 people sat on top of a pile of bales in the back of a Datsun pick up.
The Datsun had run off the road and overturned killing the passengers.

He was held in a police post opposite one of the desert cafes, soon after another British driver, seeing the motor parked up, stopped to check, he too was then arrested. They were let out for meals at the cafe and on returning after lunch one day the police asked how much they had paid. Evidently they had been overcharged, so the Cafe owner was arrested & the drivers sent across to run the cafe.

A couple of days later the police investigation exonerated the UK driver & they were sent on their way.

It may sound outlandish, but those were the days - anything could happen & often did.

Not outlandish at all … I can relate to that story …to long winded to write but I worked internal for a Saudi mob and
ended up in the hands of local police who took me to Ta-if where I spent a couple of days in the nick but not a cell …it was at the start
of Ramadan which delayed the Co man getting to me but the local police welcomed me to join them during sundown feeds…BUT it was an experience
and having learned a little conversational Arabic which helped I I was never worried about not coming out alive :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

Off FB:

325407184_728577545297477_7026029927716288735_n.jpg

and this one in Jeddah, apparently:

325592258_1461201261072831_7405790002601281281_n.jpg

Ditto.

Nicked from FB today, I understand :unamused: . Never mind, these show yet another 2 Crusaders on M/E work, crossing Turkey:

And here’s yet another Crusader on M/E work (from FB):

12417600_533555383484626_2320687293705305836_n.jpg