Analysing paper tachos

After 3 and a half years on a digital tacho I have now bought my own wagon which has a analogue tacho. Just wondered the quickest and easiest ways to check the charts over to make sure they’re all on the right side of the law! cheers.

When I started up I asked the VOSA man at the “New Operator Seminar” they “invited” me to and he said that for a one man band such as myself they would not expect you to have any of your charts formally analysed. As long as you’re happy yourself that you’re driving within the law that should be enough.

Paul

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

tachomaster.co.uk/supplies.php

Analogue Disk Scanner

The Analogue Disk Scanner is a high-quality duplex colour scanner with an automatic sheet feeder for scanning multiple Analogue Tachograph disks in a single operation. Quick and simple to install, it will interface directly with Tachomaster, allowing you to scan and analyse your Analogue Tachograph charts automatically, and to save the data directly to your Tachomaster system. The Analogue Disk Scanner requires one free USB 2.0 port on your PC.

£570 though :astonished:

Not worth it for 1 operator. Probably for fleet analysis

Harry Monk:

I’ve bought one of these from GB Tachopak, think it was £13.

repton:
When I started up I asked the VOSA man at the “New Operator Seminar” they “invited” me to and he said that for a one man band such as myself they would not expect you to have any of your charts formally analysed. As long as you’re happy yourself that you’re driving within the law that should be enough.

Thanks for tha Paul, I just thought VOSA may want to see proof that you are checking your tachos are correct and you are taking things seriously!! That New Operator Seminar sounds useful but it wouldn’t suprise me if it’s become a victim of Government spending cuts!!

xfmatt:
Thanks for tha Paul, I just thought VOSA may want to see proof that you are checking your tachos are correct and you are taking things seriously!! That New Operator Seminar sounds useful but it wouldn’t suprise me if it’s become a victim of Government spending cuts!!

The New Operator Seminar is actually a product of spending cuts, and IMO it was a complete waste of time.

It used to be that in the first 6 or so months after getting your licence you would have two visits from VOSA at home, one from a Traffic Examiner and one from a Vehicle Examiner. They would check on your systems and so on and decide whether you as an operator were satisfactory or unsatisfactory in each area.

That however was too expensive, so they now “invite” you about a dozen at a time to said seminar. It isn’t really an “invitation” but more of a summons, if you don’t go you can be sure that they will be at your door double quick to check up on you. By simply attending the seminar you automatically get marked down as satisfactory on your licence in both areas.

They’re a bit slow with it too, I had had my licence for almost a year before I went to it so don’t hold your breath.

Paul

repton:
The New Operator Seminar is actually a product of spending cuts, and IMO it was a complete waste of time.

It used to be that in the first 6 or so months after getting your licence you would have two visits from VOSA at home, one from a Traffic Examiner and one from a Vehicle Examiner. They would check on your systems and so on and decide whether you as an operator were satisfactory or unsatisfactory in each area.

That however was too expensive, so they now “invite” you about a dozen at a time to said seminar. It isn’t really an “invitation” but more of a summons, if you don’t go you can be sure that they will be at your door double quick to check up on you. By simply attending the seminar you automatically get marked down as satisfactory on your licence in both areas.

They’re a bit slow with it too, I had had my licence for almost a year before I went to it so don’t hold your breath.

Paul

That sounds better than a visit at home to me! Ok so you may be off the road for a day but at least they aren’t hunting things out in your office looking for things to find fault with! I can sit in a room and be taught how to ■■■■ eggs no problem!!

cheers

xfmatt:
That sounds better than a visit at home to me! Ok so you may be off the road for a day but at least they aren’t hunting things out in your office looking for things to find fault with! I can sit in a room and be taught how to ■■■■ eggs no problem!!

Oh it’s much better than a visit at home. I was invited to Beverley for the afternoon and managed to get myself a load of salt to the council depot which is barely half a mile from the test centre where the seminar was held so it cost me nowt in fuel and I only lost half a day’s work.

Paul

repton:
I was invited to Beverley for the afternoon

Paul

Get on with your work man, and stop bragging.

Repton's Bird..jpg

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

repton:

xfmatt:

Oh it’s much better than a visit at home. I was invited to Beverley for the afternoon
Paul

i think iwould rather take a week off work than go and see mrs bell :laughing:

chaversdad:
i think iwould rather take a week off work than go and see mrs bell :laughing:

Same here but thankfully I’m not in her area (it’s Tom McCartney I think for me). Besides they don’t send anyone especially important to these seminars, it’s just a regular run-of-the-mill VE and TE who get to have an afternoon off pulling people over at the roadside and talk crap to us lot in a warm room instead.

Paul

repton:
Oh it’s much better than a visit at home. I was invited to Beverley for the afternoon

That would suit me fine as i’m only in Driffield!

xfmatt:

repton:

That would suit me fine as i’m only in Driffield!

Didn’t realise you were less than 10 miles away from me…

Paul