Analogue to digital

Hi I just wondered if a drove on my digital tacho for 1st half of the day then the 2nd half of the day I got asked to drive one with paper analogue disc, when I put my digital tacho in the truck the next day do I have to do manual do manual entries for every minute or just estimate the times as it’s hard keep track when doin multi drops…thanks

NELSON76:
Hi I just wondered if a drove on my digital tacho for 1st half of the day then the 2nd half of the day I got asked to drive one with paper analogue disc, when I put my digital tacho in the truck the next day do I have to do manual do manual entries for every minute or just estimate the times as it’s hard keep track when doin multi drops…thanks

Both are official record so no need to duplicate - perhaps put ‘on digi between x and x’ on the back of the analogue one and do a printout putting ‘on analogue on the other’ but not legally necessary

NELSON76:

You should not manually record the work you did on an analogue tachograph into a digital tachograph, the record of your activities is on a tachograph chart.

When you next put your driver card into a digital tachograph the time you was on an an analogue tachograph should be recorded with the ? symbol, the ? is for time that cannot be accounted for such as when you’re using an analogue tachograph.

You can write on the back of the chart the start and finish times you was using a digital tachograph if you want, but there’s no need for printouts or manual entries other than what I’ve described above.

Pointless me saying anything here as the 2 gods have spoken.

Na you have a record on your digi card and also that on the paper chart.

You’d be in the brown stuff if you did …

Ok thanks for that guys…
I did try manually input the data on the 1st day tho that I did on digital into paper but think I did it wrong anyway and ended up putting other work for 10hrs or so…that’s why I got in touch here to see if it was actually needed ill just have to hope the ■■■■ up goes ok :frowning:
thanks again…

‘rip the chart up’ :astonished: …sounds like a quality firm you work for there OP :laughing:

Prob best I don’t post that bit eh they was prob just windin me up haha :astonished:

I tried to do the manual entry with the■■? because I ended shift using paper tacho last night and this morning I started with paper tacho but now been asked to go in the truck with digital tacho…
When I inserted my card and chose manual entry I entered the times but when it come to choosing activity only had the option of period of availability , other work or driving so I’ve entered other work and out of frustration just pressed buttons til it got to the recent time…
Maybe I shud find another job because goin from one truck to another is becomin a pain argh…
Thanks for any advice guys :-/

NELSON76:
I tried to do the manual entry with the■■? because I ended shift using paper tacho last night and this morning I started with paper tacho but now been asked to go in the truck with digital tacho…
When I inserted my card and chose manual entry I entered the times but when it come to choosing activity only had the option of period of availability , other work or driving so I’ve entered other work and out of frustration just pressed buttons til it got to the recent time…
Maybe I shud find another job because goin from one truck to another is becomin a pain argh…
Thanks for any advice guys :-/

It was probably an older lorry, pre late 2012.

If that’s the case it would be a type 1 digital tachograph, a type 1 digital tachograph doesn’t have the ? option in manual entries, it will automatically record ? for all time the card is out of the tachograph.

Rather than looking for other work how about learning to use digital tachographs :exclamation:

I’ve been working here for 6 months now and always used digital tacho it’s only recently they have hired another driver to lower the workload of us there was 2 drivers and now 3…So it’s only this week I’ve been shifting between the digital and analogue and don’t want to make any mistakes on the logs…usually when I get in the truck I just do a manual entry from the time I finished my shift the night before to the time I start and I enter rest period…
It’s only now I’m confused as what to put…thanks any advice is welcome before my head pops lol …

What make tachograph is it, Siemens or Stoneridge and how old is it ?

You can’t record any of the analog work on a digital tacho anyway because you can’t enter the reg or mileage of the analog vehicle

Here is picture m8 can’t find handbook to see model ill ask supervisor when back if don’t know…cheers

Never thought of that m8 cheers like I said am not used to analogue seems am not used to digital either at min lol

That’s a Siemens mate, for future reference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As said it is a Siemens tachograph but we still don’t know how old the vehicle is so don’t know if it’s a type 1 or 2 tachograph, from the image I’m guessing it’s a type 2 but I could be wrong.

Have a look at this video, if the display during manual entries doesn’t look like yours let us know.

It’s slightly different m8 it asks for the times and then after entering times it goes to choose mode I just tested it took my card out then did manual entry for the minute I took it out for…
The screen here has the time flashing…

Choose mode :confused:
How old is it ?

Perhaps it’s a type 1 then.

Procedure for type 1 Siemens digital tachographs:

1. Insert card and when you reach the manual entry option select yes to do a manual entry.

2. Enter the time and activity for the end of your last shift on a digital tachograph.

3. Display reads “end of shift” = Yes

4. Display reads “End country” (enter UK for the country)

5. Display shows the date and time the card was inserted and asks “begin” = Yes
    (this is the start of the current shift)

6. Job done

Assuming it’s a type 1 digital tachograph you can practice on the tachograph simulator.
Type 1 digital tachograph simulator

When you use the tachograph simulator choose “Lorry” then “Active Operational Mode”, after choosing the type of tachograph which hopefully will be a Siemens choose “Interactive simulator”.

Have a look at this video for a type 1 tachograph, skip straight to 11:00

PaulNowak:

It’s VDO, as it says on it, since VDO is no longer owned by Siemens. The earlier ones were branded “Siemens VDO”.

Personally I wouldn’t bother attempting a manual entry on an older digital tachograph, just leave it to record ? for the time the card is out and if I had some other work I’d do it on paper.

The newer ones (Stoneridge at least, I’ve not used a newer VDO yet) are much easier and obvious and give the option to print the entry before confirming it. They will default to a manual entry for rest for the time the card is out unless you tell it otherwise.

Glen A9:

PaulNowak:

It’s VDO, as it says on it, since VDO is no longer owned by Siemens. The earlier ones were branded “Siemens VDO”.

Ok Mr Pedantic, but the question was “is it a Siemens or a Stoneridge?”

Was actually trying to help the fella out.

But thank you for that history lesson.

Dear OP, that tacho is a VDO, which lorry drivers refer to as a Siemens, because we should have tried harder at school.