Analogue tachographs

My first day today driving class 2 with a analogue tachograph.on the way to my first drop off I noticed the little led light next to the tachograph coming on.now I was only going 50mph but it seemed to come on every time I was afew mph off 50.can anyone explain what the hell this red light is for?i wasn’t speeding and the speed limit is 50 for the road I was on so can someone clarify what it’s for?will I get a infringement for speeding also?

Thanks for replies guys. :smiley:

I think the light you you mean tells you that the head isn’t shut properly or the chart is not in correctly.

i’ve seen a lot of analogue tachos doing that over a certain speed,not to worry about :smiley:

Its just something they do, 50mph and the light comes on, it is not a problem, and it is 100% normal.

You used to be able to set the light to come on at whatever speed you wanted by holding the small button down at that speed, ie when doing forty just press and hold the button for a few seconds and then the light would come on at forty until you decided to change it. A speed limit warning really.

Pete.

Thanks guys much appreciated for replies. :smiley:

As has been said it’s nothing to worry about.

But if a warning light comes on and stays on at all speeds check the tachograph, there’s a warning light that warns you if the tachograph isn’t shut properly, or you’ve forgotten to put a chart in.

windrush:
You used to be able to set the light to come on at whatever speed you wanted by holding the small button down at that speed, ie when doing forty just press and hold the button for a few seconds and then the light would come on at forty until you decided to change it. A speed limit warning really.

Pete.

Cheers Pete you learn something new everyday.thought it odd it was coming on as I wasn’t speeding.

tachograph:

But if a warning light comes on and stays on at all speeds check the tachograph, there’s a warning light that warns you if the tachograph isn’t shut properly, or you’ve forgotten to put a chart in.

if i remember (and im probably wrong) was’nt it a yellow light?

tachograph:

Thanks tachograph,yeah chart was in and the little door was closed properly mate.there was no red light coming on until I was nearly hitting 50,that’s why I was a little confused and asked for the expert advice of you guys. :smiley: :smiley:

kindle530:

tachograph:

I thought on some it was red, but it’s a long time since I’ve used one so I could be wrong.

tachograph:

kindle530:

tachograph:

I thought on some it was red, but it’s a long time since I’ve used one so I could be wrong.

the one that comes on when you hit 50 (it was always 50 or thereabouts, in the motors i drove) was red, but the other one you mentioned above was yellow i think.

Yellows not having a chart IN! :sunglasses:

Those red lights can be set at a different speed - I set mine to 40 as it was more useful

In our Iveco there is a small (1/4") dial on the LHS of the head when you lift the flap for the 2nd driver disk- you can set it yourself. It is not linked to any marks on the disk FYI.

kindle530:

tachograph:

Yes you are right, on my old truck it was a yellow light that came on when going over 50mph and if the chart wasnt in properly it would actually flash on and off at any speed.