Analogue tacho question

Hi lads, can any of you help?
I put my tacho chart in at 6:45am, do my 15 minute checks and pull out of the yard at 7am. Can I then drive from 7am until 11:30 (4 and a half hours) or does my 4 and a half hours start from when I put my card in at 6:45am, making me stop at 11:15am?

Dai Hard:
Hi lads, can any of you help?
I put my tacho chart in at 6:45am, do my 15 minute checks and pull out of the yard at 7am. Can I then drive from 7am until 11:30 (4 and a half hours) or does my 4 and a half hours start from when I put my card in at 6:45am, making me stop at 11:15am?

You must stop for a 45 minute break no later than after 4½ hours driving time.

Only time recorded automatically or manually as driving time on the tachograph counts as driving time, so if you started driving at 07:00 and drive continually your 4½ hours driving time would be up at 11:30.

If you start driving at 07:00 and stop for half hour to unload/load at say 10:00 to 10:30 the 4½ hours driving time would be up at 12:00.

In other words if the wheels aren’t turning it’s not driving time.

He’s right, bang on. Also you must make sure you show half hour break before 12:45 to allow for the WTD.

Thanks lads. So it doesn’t matter that I put my chart in 15 mins before I start driving, my actual 4 and a half hours start from when I pull off.

DRIVING time dude. Ignoring the 6 hour WTD rule for the moment, as Tachograph correctly told you your break must be taken before you exceed four and a half hours DRIVING, not duty.

You can put it in an hour before if you want, it only records driving when the wheels are turning. When they’ve turned for four and a half hours accumulated driving then it’s 45min break time. But don’t forget from 6:45 you’ve got to show half hour break , before 12:45. be it your 45min or other.

Dai Hard:
Thanks lads. So it doesn’t matter that I put my chart in 15 mins before I start driving, my actual 4 and a half hours start from when I pull off.

A driving break must be taken no later than after 4½ hours driving, only time when the wheels are turning is recorded as driving, vehicle checks count as other work.

If you put the chart in at 06:45 and do vehicle checks or whatever for 15 minutes, as long as you don’t move the vehicle that 15 minutes does not count towards the driving time.

Only actual driving is counted towards the driving time, any time the vehicle is stationary is not driving time.

cleanass:
Also you must make sure you show half hour break before 12:45 to allow for the WTD.

15 minutes mate, you need a break of at-least 15 minutes for the six hour rule not 30 minutes :wink:

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I don’t profess to know everything, but hey, isn’t this one of the basics of driver knowledge that has been learnt supposedly, in the DCPC ■■ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
Makes you shudder at the thought of who is actually in control of these vehicles.!!!

Sorry mate, it’s 15 min for the WTD. My bad.

cleanass:
But don’t forget from 6:45 you’ve got to show half hour break , before 12:45. be it your 45min or other.

No, if he starts work at 0645 he needs to start a break no later than 1245. And that break only needs to be at least 15 min.

pierrot 14:
:shock: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:
I don’t profess to know everything, but hey, isn’t this one of the basics of driver knowledge that has been learnt supposedly, in the DCPC ■■ :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:
Makes you shudder at the thought of who is actually in control of these vehicles.!!!

some might say it’s basic driver knowledge that there’s no requirement to cover driver hour regs on the dcpc :smiley: :smiley:

Dai Hard:

Would that be classed as other work ?

i dont believe this question

have you passed your test ?
do you have a cpc card ?
surely they teach you about driving time on the cpc course ?

bloody typical of the standard of drivers around these days even with the new cpc thats costs even more money to get drivers still dont know the basics

Suedehead:

Dai Hard:

Would that be classed as other work ?

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: