Analogue tacho fault

I had a new analogue tacho unit fitted 6 months ago. Last week Whilst in germany the draw jammed,and could not be opened I rang dafs in uk. They said do manual entries till I get back. Were they right or should I have got it fixed in germany ?

Basically, you have a week to get it fixed in your home country, otherwise you have to get it repaired en route.

tachodata.com/rules2.htm

So yes, DAF were right.

EU legislation requires that in the event of a breakdown or faulty operation of the equipment, it must be
repaired as soon as possible. If the vehicle is unable to return to its base within a week the repair must
be carried out en route…
UK legislation also provides that a driver or operator will not be liable to be convicted if they can prove
to a court that the vehicle was on its way to a place where the recording equipment could be repaired,
or that it was not immediately practicable for the equipment to be repaired and the driver was keeping
a manual record. Additionally, they will not be liable where a seal is broken and the breaking of the seal
was unavoidable and it could not be immediately repaired, providing that all other aspects of the EU rules were being complied with.
For faults

Hope this helps

Steve

Just found this, to be added to above

International journeys: Although this is the position under EU rules, it is not advisable to start or continue an international journey with a defective tachograph, even if manual records are kept. This is because many countries will not permit entry by such vehicles, since their own domestic laws require a fully functioning system.

Steve

Thanks Steve. Got back ok with no checks. It would of been hard to explain to the Germans that tacho was@&@&@d. Tacho kaput!

I had one fail in France on way to Germany, boss didn’t want it fixing on route, I had it done at Daf Ashford later that week and kept a copy of the repair paperwork with my tachos to prove at a later date if needed, But I know what you mean about trying to explain to the Germans

Steve