Analogue/ Digital Tacho

Hi all just a quick question which many will probably think is a stupid one!
The firm I work for has vehicles that are fitted with analogue tachos. Because of this I have never bothered with a Digi card. I don’t drive regularly as it’s not my main job but do have a class 1. I’m thinking of doing a bit of extra work elsewhere so I would need to get a Digi card I assume? How would I then use the analogue tachos? I just don’t want to get a Digi card if it will cause problems with the analogue tacho.

Having a Digi card just means that if you drive a Digi truck, you use your Digi card, if you drive analogue truck, you use tacho disc … BUT … you MUST carry your Digi card EVEN when driving analogue truck and also carry your Tacho discs for previous 28 days … as you should be doing at the present time.
This so you have a record of ALL driving duty, if you are stopped by VOSA.
Also remember … if driving Digi truck, you MUST have at least 1 spare tacho roll … but in theory you should have 2 rolls … as if you have to replace the roll in the tacho head … you would NOT then have a spare … and that is an offence :laughing:
Hope this makes sense :question: :question:

The Rustler:
Also remember … if driving Digi truck, you MUST have at least 1 spare tacho roll … but in theory you should have 2 rolls … as if you have to replace the roll in the tacho head … you would NOT then have a spare … and that is an offence [emoji38]
Hope this makes sense :question: :question:

It’s advisable to have a spare roll but it’s not an offence to not have a spare roll of printing paper.

Sent from my mobile.

magoos87:
Hi all just a quick question which many will probably think is a stupid one!
The firm I work for has vehicles that are fitted with analogue tachos. Because of this I have never bothered with a Digi card. I don’t drive regularly as it’s not my main job but do have a class 1. I’m thinking of doing a bit of extra work elsewhere so I would need to get a Digi card I assume? How would I then use the analogue tachos? I just don’t want to get a Digi card if it will cause problems with the analogue tacho.

You would use the analogue tachographs the same as you do now,

When using a digital tachograph you would use the ? symbol for the time since you last used your driver card.

You will be required to carry your driver card and any charts used in the last 28 days whatever vehicle you’re driving.

Sent from my mobile.

Thanks for the replies. I sometimes don’t drive any trucks for a couple of months so I assume I would then have no previous 28days to carry with me?

magoos87:
Thanks for the replies. I sometimes don’t drive any trucks for a couple of months so I assume I would then have no previous 28days to carry with me?

That’s right, whenever you drive HGVs you need to carry any charts completed in the last 28 days and hand the charts in to your transport office (or whoever is responsible for them) no later than 42 days from the day after the chart was used.

If you havn’t used an analogue tachograph in the past 28 days you won’t need to carry any with you, you must always carry your driver car (if/when you have one) with you regardless of the type of tachograph being used.

Ok thanks.

Just out of interest… do you have DCPC? If not, you shouldn’t be driving HGV at all at least, not if you’re being paid for it.

Yeah thanks for asking. I do have a DCPC although currently I have been told I don’t need it as when I do do drive it is only to carry goods to enable me to carry out my main job of work.

magoos87:
Yeah thanks for asking. I do have a DCPC although currently I have been told I don’t need it as when I do do drive it is only to carry goods to enable me to carry out my main job of work.

That’s irrelevant mate. As far as I am aware, if you’re being paid to drive anything that needs an HGV licence, including 7.5 tonners, you need DCPC.

Depends what he is up to Sidevalve: gov.uk/guidance/driver-cpc- … s-examples

Carrying material or equipment for use in your work
You don’t need Driver CPC if you’re carrying equipment or material that you use in the course of your work, and driving the vehicle isn’t your main activity.

Example 1: mobile lorry fitter
A driver is a mobile lorry fitter. They drive a vehicle from an operator’s site to another site where they take their tools from the vehicle to do their main activity of servicing lorries.

They don’t need Driver CPC.

If they use an engine diagnostic kit that’s fixed within the vehicle, they still don’t need Driver CPC, as the vehicle is carrying material or equipment for their use on-site.

Example 2: self-employed bricklayer
A self-employed bricklayer drives their lorry to a building site with a load of bricks. They unload the bricks and use them in the construction of a house.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as driving the lorry isn’t their main activity and they’re carrying materials for their use in the course of bricklaying.

Example 3: power generator fixed to the bed of a vehicle
A driver drives a lorry with a power generator fixed to the bed of the vehicle, but driving isn’t their main activity. They drive to road maintenance sites where the generator is used to power site equipment. They do various tasks at the site, including monitoring the generator to make sure it’s working correctly.
They don’t need Driver CPC.

Example 4: delivering car parts to retail outlets
A driver works in a car parts supply company’s stores department. Occasionally, they need to drive one of the company’s lorries to deliver parts to retail outlets.
They need Driver CPC, even though the driving takes up a small amount of their working time, as it’s carrying materials for someone else’s use.

Example 5: farmer transporting livestock for auction
A farmer transports some of their livestock to a local cattle market for auction around once a month.
They need Driver CPC, as they’re not carrying materials or equipment for their use in the course of their work -they’re carrying livestock intended for sale.

Example 6: farmer driving a lorry to repair farm fences
A farmer drives a lorry on public roads around their farm twice a month to repair fences. The vehicle carries the tools and materials they need to make these repairs.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as they’re carrying materials to be used by them in the course of their work repairing fences.

Example 7: farm labourer transporting other workers
A farm labourer drives a minibus (with a D1 driving licence) twice a day to take other farm workers from the local town to various fields on the farm. The driving takes up a small part of their day - most of their time is spent picking crops.
They need Driver CPC, as they’re transporting other labourers - they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Example 8: farm labourer transporting livestock and crops
A farm labourer drives a lorry on public roads around a farm to transport livestock and crops.
They need Driver CPC, as they’re carrying goods intended for sale - they’re not carrying materials or equipment.

Example 9: mobile crane operator
A mobile crane operator drives the vehicle with the crane to a building site, where they operate the crane help build a new factory.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as their main activity isn’t driving and they’re carrying tools and materials (the crane) to be used in the course of their work.

Example 10: mechanic driving a lorry with tools and equipment
A mechanic employed by a transport company drives a lorry containing tools and equipment they need to change wheels at the roadside.
They don’t need Driver CPC, as driving isn’t their main activity, and they’re carrying tools and materials to be used in the course of their work.

Cheers mr. Ginge.

I’d always thought it went with the territory over 7.5 tonnes.