An the award for best bridge strike goes to

chester:
This thread (linked below) had a bus and a cyclist. completely unrelated to this forum, as Truck is not remotely involved :unamused: Obviously it doesn’t stop Wetsack and Snowtroll having a pop. ( or even a tug in a toilet cubicle in an RDC over cyclist videos)
Although the cyclist was on tv only this week on Car Crash Britain, and explained his brake cable had snapped.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=132691

Oh dry your eyes you inbred bellend.
So many bikes charge through red lights its only natural to assume he did it on purpose. Sounds like it was YOU was knocking one out when you found out this guy actually had an excuse. (Its also worth noting we only have this guys word for it his cable snapped. Hes hardly going to come out and admit running a red light and smacking into a bus is he?)

BTW, why would I have a tug over cyclist videos when theres ■■■■ on the internet involving women? (You know what a woman is I presume) If you cant find any, stop posting irrelevant pish on forum threads and look a bit harder

albion1971:
Why did he do that sounds like the thoughts of a rational thinking human being to me.

Seeing a lorry hit a bridge and saying “Why did he do that?” sounds exactly the OPPOSITE of a rational thinking human being. Simple common sense would dictate it wasnt on purpose and he didnt mean it.

I will agree with you Albion for once.

Beezle is obviously extremely bored.

He has responded to you.

eagerbeaver:
I will agree with you Albion for once.

Beezle is obviously extremely bored.

He has responded to you.

Guilty as charged! :laughing:

Meanwhile, and back to the original subject, the truck & the bridge. Was he a Newby driver who knew his vehicle height but had never negotiated an arch bridge?

I’ve heard some horror stories of ? £000’s per hour when Railtrack engineers have to be called out.

Looks to me that he was out of his range and comfort zone driving anything bigger than a Transit.
He missed that spout guttering through more luck than management, he probably never even saw the pedestrians judging by the minimal space he left them, and when he rammed the bridge and backed up, he looked like he just tore back through it, hoping for the best. :unamused:
Another car driver eho thinks he can drive a (small) truck imo.

simon1958:
Meanwhile, and back to the original subject, the truck & the bridge. Was he a Newby driver who knew his vehicle height but had never negotiated an arch bridge?

I’ve heard some horror stories of ? £000’s per hour when Railtrack engineers have to be called out.

you pay for the bridge inspection , the busses used to ferry the train passengers between stations and any repairs to the bridge . Depending on where the bridge is and length of time its out of service you can see it will quickly start to look like someones telephone number .

beefy4605:

simon1958:

you pay for the bridge inspection , the busses used to ferry the train passengers between stations and any repairs to the bridge . Depending on where the bridge is and length of time its out of service you can see it will quickly start to look like someones telephone number .

All the more reason for the truck driver to have ‘alarm bells’ ringing when he sees the bridge height warning.

Maybe there’s another issue here at the start of HGV training such as…

Q. Trainer to Trainee… ‘’ Are you literate and numerate ‘’?

When I started with high trailers, no modern day maps with bridge heights, no sat navs, just common sense and forward planning.

Maybe I’m brainwashed all things truck, but I even notice and read bridge heights when in my car :blush:
It gets like a lot more trucking related things, second nature after a while.
OK, maybe never with some.

Imagine you’re going to go in the middle of the road, but you’re on the phone, and the oncoming car goes for the gap… So what do most people do? Absent-mindedly carry on in the same left hand lane…

I reckon this driver got distracted at the very last moment…

beefy4605:

simon1958:

I saw the paper work for a bridge strike about 3 weeks ago and the cost was £98000 and this was not a main line

There’s a +1 to the bridge strike here. The bridge in question is made of stone. A curtainsider made love to it. Not good, well for the truck anyway… Ironic really. Here’s the weekend that celebrates the revival of the Flying Scotsman and the era of when things were designed to last… like stone constructed railway bridges.
Then some dude comes along with a steel container on a skelly, upsets a steel beams and the bridge bearings, and the rail network grinds to a halt.

Not good.

Robroy nailed a couple of very good points imo. I cringed when he squeezed past the building and also thought his spatial awareness of the pedestrians left a great deal to be desired.

winseer - I dont really think that your imagined scenario stands up to much scrutiny mate. Sure, were all human (jurys out on chester tho), but to allow yourself to mentally go surfing on approach to a clearly marked arch bridge is bordering on incompetence tbf. When you say "what do most people do" youre dipping your toe into rather grandiose generalisation. Are we supposed to decipher that as “what do most truck drivers do” or “what do most car drivers do”. As im sure the vast majority (yourself included) are only too well aware, it wouldnt have been an issue for a car driver anyway.
Temporary lapses in concentration happen - its a hominid thing - but theres times when you just gotta put a bit more concern into what you`re actually negotiating.

Winseer mate, I know it’s just a puddle jumper he is driving, (as most of us started on) but even puddle jumper drivers come under the remit of ‘professional driver’ So maybe a car driver on a leisurely drive would react in the way you suggest, but you would expect better of a pro. :bulb:
I know mistakes and lapses of concentration happen as ■■■■■■■ said, but the whole footage did not show him up as a particular good driver even for the size of his vehicle, as I have already said.

I was told 6 months ago I would be getting a measuring stick , every truck will have one , last I did the job it was still a hope / pray job with a tape measure , bit rich to always blame the driver for hitting a bridge :unamused: :unamused:

I’m lucky that my truck is only 12’,9" so I can fit under most things without thinking about but I still look at the height signs. Going round Stratford though was fun, found a bridge that was the same height as my truck but I had known about this from a way back as it appeared on the signs. Wheels down and the air out, crawling under with my head out of the window. Got some right strange looks from the local pond life.

Radar19:
I’m lucky that my truck is only 12’,9" so I can fit under most things without thinking about but I still look at the height signs. Going round Stratford though was fun, found a bridge that was the same height as my truck but I had known about this from a way back as it appeared on the signs. Wheels down and the air out, crawling under with my head out of the window. Got some right strange looks from the local pond life.

Yeh… you never know how many times that bit of road has been re-surfaced during the interim… :smiling_imp:

mac12:

beefy4605:

simon1958:

I saw the paper work for a bridge strike about 3 weeks ago and the cost was £98000 and this was not a main line

As soon as someone rings the number on the bridge to report a strike, Network Rail stop all trains going over it & someone comes out to inspect it.

If there is no damage, you aren’t stuck under it & they are able to open it again before another train is due to cross, then your lucky. As soon as a train gets delayed though, your up ■■■■ creek. I cringed when I saw the story of that wagon hitting a London Overground bridge at rush hour a few months ago, the bill for that will have been eye watering I suspect.

dozy:
I was told 6 months ago I would be getting a measuring stick , every truck will have one , last I did the job it was still a hope / pray job with a tape measure , bit rich to always blame the driver for hitting a bridge :unamused: :unamused:

If the driver in the clip couldn’t tell his motor wouldn’t fit under that part of the arch, it’s not a measuring stick he needs, but a white stick!
Bernard

albion1938:

dozy:

If the driver in the clip couldn’t tell his motor wouldn’t fit under that part of the arch, it’s not a measuring stick he needs, but a white stick!
Bernard

Not a white stick but a 5 foot length of 4x2 round the back of the head .