an old newbie

Hi all
i’m mike from mid west wales and i’m thinking of going for my class 1 licence, i have been in the construction trade all my working live and it’s time for a big change, i have always wanted to drive a artic and travel all across the uk. so here’s my questions
am i to old to learn (54)
what’s my chances of getting work on the mid west coast of wales
how far do you all travel just to get to work.
thanks mike.

Never too old there have been older

It wont be easy that is for sure but not impossible poss age but more important you will be a newbie with no experience

But might be worth hanging on a bit until after sept due to cpc as you will need that ( take it you took your test before 97 ) you will have grandfather rights so dont need mod 2 & 4 just the periodic 35 hr which you will have to do if take test now will have to do it all before sept 14 then start again then you have 5 years to complete

Although nothing wrong with starting the process now you will need a medical then HPT & theory test 1st

Have a good look round to find a training provider you like ( please dont go broker ) before you part with any money go & visit them 1st go see a few before you decide

I went out of my area to do my CE so dont rule that out either for your training

Maybe I’m reading “animals” post incorrectly. Just to clarify, if you passed your car test before 1997 you currently have grandfather rights expiring this September. If you complete your 35 hours periodic training (most of which can be credited from your C and CE driver training)then your entitlement will extend to Sept 2019.

If you leave it till after Sept 2019 before you do anything, you will still need to complete your 35 hours.

I may have got the wrong end of the stick and, if I have, I apologise. Animal normally posts very accurately so I think it’s possibly me having a senior moment!

If you want the experience of a more mature person changing career to trucking, I suggest you pm Only Alan.

All the best with it, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Go for it bud, I was in my 40’s before I started.

thanks for the replys, a graet forum with good advice and tips i’ve booked my medical, started revising and driving my van like it’s a artic