An agency offer hard to refuse

Basically i bin working with this agency for a while as a van driver/ warehouse work. I was having conversation with one the consultants about getting my hgv licence and becausw i have worked 300 hours with them one of the blokes handed me a contract offering to pay for the whole including all hiab and forklift adr.

I thought this was all very dodgy. I took the contract home and gave it a read. I would be tied in for 2 years also expected to do all the work they give me. But if they cant find me work the branch is liable to foot the bill for my training costs. And seems pretty legit i think im going to go for it 2 years with an agency which i think is one the best in the buisness at the moment have never let me down or messed me around with money.

But more to the point is worth working for an agency for 2 years could anyone give me some pros and cons ?
Of course they would me oblidged to give me work i hope would it me the bottom of the barrell work ?

It stands to reason it will be the rubbish work as others will say no and you cant. Is the money different per job or just flat? Rubbish work may also mean rubbish pay as again you can’t say no.

Whilst they pay the training costs if they can’t find you work what happens about wages? Are you allowed to work elsewhere or do you have to be exclusive in case they call later? Can you afford time without work?

Personally if you can pay for it that would be my preference so you can go where you want. However I am well aware that not everyone can afford that

I could afford it but 7 months down the line its hard to save when supporting 2 kids and a household lol.
But thanks for the input i am going to compose a list of questions to ask them before i sign anything to make sure i know where i stand.

Also as i understand most new qualified drivers get the rubbish jobs anyway?

So anymore input would much appreciated.

Well I am a new pass and was offered 3 different jobs very quickly after starting looking. A couple of places have said they rather have new passes as no preconceived ideas and will do it how you are shown.

I won’t try and say they are great jobs or great money but certainly don’t think they are the worst either. I don’t think getting a start is the issue it used to be.

By all means ask but get some answers in writing concerning grantees of pay/work.

Be very careful about being tied in somewhere if they pay for the training,they have then the right to run you like a dog or just 1 day a week,be interesting to see if they garauntee wages (doubt it tho).
The cost of a license forklift and ADR isn’t going to be cheap so they might take that off your wages every week for 2 years which could work out very expensive for you in the long run.
As said on many posts on here before could use a 0% credit card to pay for your license get experience then add forklift hiab ADR etc after once you know what work is near to you.

It says in contract if i do not achieve a full working week monday - friday they work out a difference then charge there own brach for failing to find me work to cover costs they seem experienced in what there doing.

In regards to hiab adr and everything is free with the agency anyway because there is high demand of drivers for these in my area. Its a training school set up by the agency and have put over a 1000 people through there licence they also guarntee you 2 trys at each test.

I will deffinetly be organising a meeting and asking them a few things i think and straighten a few things out.

I also think there doing it to retain drivers on there book for 2 years and have a bent over a barrell.

Sounds like it could be ok. Check what the average is though.

Also check terms for leaving early. How much will you pay back? Does it reduce over time? Might be worth getting them to pay and do a year and move on if not

Well i’ve no problems working for an agency and if i ever have to go back driving it would be for an agency but as far as this goes don’t walk away from it RUN

Have any of the other driver that work there done it? Ask the agency if there are then try and speak to them. You won’t always get held back for the crappy jobs as they’ll want you to get minimum hours that you’re contracted for. If now crap work comes in then you’re paid for nothing.

Is this Pertemps mate? I’d be very wary about doing this, all agencies are the same and they are doing this to benefit them more rather than you. A 0% credit card is a better bet if you’re short for funds.

National express buses in the Midlands do something similar where they’ll pay for you’re licence etc but you have to work for them for two years or pay it back if you go.

It’s a deal with the devil to be sure. But if you’re not going to be out of pocket I’d be tempted. ■■■■ bottom of barrel jobs but variety for two years would be acceptable trade off on not having thousands of pounds of debt on yourself.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk