Amnesty

Due to the driver shortage, the Government will have to take steps. Will this include re-enlisting retired drivers or those whose licnces and CPCs have expired?

Also remove the ‘experience’ requirement from job vacancies and the title of ‘labourer’/labouring duties being attached to ‘driving’ job roles.
Driver shortage bs.

That’s wishfull thinking can’t see the government getting involved If honest

Don’t think the drivers who are paying for their dcpc would be very impressed

bring the industry driver hours into todays world …that means a big cut in hours,on conditions nights out should be banned to one a week driver cab facing camera removed and banned

fuse:
bring the industry driver hours into todays world …that means a big cut in hours,on conditions nights out should be banned to one a week

Banning nights out to that degree will wipe out whatever distance/international work is left.
What’s needed is an increase in driving time to 10 hours and a 12 hours minimum unbroken daily rest period and massive reduction if fuel taxation for commercial traffic to get more freight back on the roads.

Oh wait that would stop the employment scam of drivers being used as labourers to save wage costs and the government won’t want trucks running more miles.Which is why less people want to drive trucks.

Optimum:
Due to the driver shortage, the Government will have to take steps. Will this include re-enlisting retired drivers or those whose licnces and CPCs have expired?

There is no driver shortage. There are more than enough licence holders to meet demand. It isn’t the government’s responsibility to provide drivers for employers who want to pay an hourly rate from 10 years ago or who treat drivers like crap. Funny how decent companies paying a decent wage never have any shortage of people wanting to work for them.

Yes think it’s like the war , will need a kind of dads army , they will just do the simple day shift , 8 hrs whilst the youngsters do the 70/80 hrs , nights out , extra shifts , bank hols etc
Think anyone 59 or above should be classed as the dads army

Didn’t they try yanking people out of warehouses and stuffing them into trucks as well as paying prisoners to agree to get a HGV license (from rumors i heard)? If that didn’t work so well why not try other brilliant ideas

dozy:
Yes think it’s like the war , will need a kind of dads army , they will just do the simple day shift , 8 hrs whilst the youngsters do the 70/80 hrs , nights out , extra shifts , bank hols etc

Having recently turned 59, I am in complete agreement with you!
I would quite like a driving job, class 1 licence holder since 2005 with recent CPC and digi-card. Haven’t touched a lorry for 4 years though, as local work changing light bulbs in a care home paid better, until I fell out with management!
Cannot be arsed with stupidly early starts, 15 hour shifts, nights out, city driving, or any of the other crap that goes along with the dream job of HGV driving :unamused: .
So I would be quite glad to enrol for your “Dad’s Army”, working 3 x 8 hour shifts per week. Maybe 1000 to 1800. £15 per hour and I’ll consider any offers :slight_smile: .
Yeh; and then I woke up…

dozy:

We are half way there already…
We’re all (almost) volunteers
None of is do it for the vast amounts of money do we?.

Carryfast:

fuse:
bring the industry driver hours into todays world …that means a big cut in hours,on conditions nights out should be banned to one a week

What’s needed is an increase in driving time to 10 hours

How is that “a big cut in hours”?

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Carryfast:

fuse:

Banning nights out to that degree will wipe out whatever distance/international work is left.
What’s needed is an increase in driving time to 10 hours and a 12 hours minimum unbroken daily rest period and massive reduction if fuel taxation for commercial traffic to get more freight back on the roads.

Oh wait that would stop the employment scam of drivers being used as labourers to save wage costs and the government won’t want trucks running more miles.Which is why less people want to drive trucks.

In 45yrs of driving I’ve never been used as a labourer. Where have I gone wrong? I’m also happy doing more than 1 night out a week.

trucken:
In 45yrs of driving I’ve never been used as a labourer.

I have been.

When I was doing the roadshows we would normally only do one move a week, the rest of the time would be building the stand or breaking it down, I used to do a fair bit of cleaning along with everybody else, I would often go off in a taxi in some faraway city I had never visited before to find some essential spare part or just supplies for the crew, I often used to cook for the crew, do presentations while the show was running, translate, hand out leaflets and freebies etc, everything really. But I used to absolutely love it, far more than any 100% driving job I’ve had.

Perhaps that’s why I’ve been the length and breadth of Europe and Carryfast hasn’t?

Carryfast:

fuse:

Increase driving time■■?
No thanks

dozy:

The kids of today doing 70/80 hrs a week come on what planet are you on :exclamation:

How about a minimum of 10 years behind the wheel as a qualification for a planners job, instead of just a pair of shiny shoes.

trucken:

Carryfast:

fuse:

In 45yrs of driving I’ve never been used as a labourer. Where have I gone wrong? I’m also happy doing more than 1 night out a week.

I re-stacked a pallet this week, but that was to help the newly qualified Romanian forky who is a nice lad :laughing:

Dream on,most retired drivers like me don`t know how they found time to go to work,now they have found out what it is like to have a “normal” life.
Getting up at a realistic time and doing what they want when they want,with the permission of her indoors obviously :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: