Ameys--anyone there?

George Foster and Alan Morecock

davidcox:
George Foster and Alan Morecock

Fair shout davidcox, are they still about & were they a regular driver/mate team? Chris

Yep regular team.
George went back to Rugby and drove for Rugby Cement, Alan lived at the Railway inn, Culham. Don’t recall where he went but left Ameys Wotton at about the same time as George in the late 60’s.

Christ that was a long time ago!

George’s leaving was, I think prompted by loosing out on the girlfriend stakes to another driver at Wotton, TB.

George was a spitting image of Tom Jones before his nose job.

I see that the concrete beam they have on is one of Dow Mac’s, used to get them from Tallington nr Stamford.
A very lucrative job was the Croydon inner ring road thingy they used to book 22hrs a day Monday to Friday, didn’t do 24hrs as they wouldn’t have been able to book a night out :slight_smile:
Tallington is still a concrete producer according to street view but now owned by Tarmac.
Dow Mac were also down near Gloucester.

adr:
Here’s one for you Ivor. Chris[/quote
Hi Chris and David.
I have not seen that photo before ,very typical of that era as David knows very well ,those boys were well up in the pecking order of Ameys ! what year would that have been David, ? and Chris where did you find this gem ? regards Ivor.

Hi Ivor How are you keeping?

That must have been about 1966-8 when they were crewed together.
In those days (the motorway building era) they were kept very busy and were well paid. RMO 386 only had the steering dolly and was only used for beam carrying, whereas 122 ERO had a dolly plus a lowloader trailer. After the beams carting business started to fall off 122 ERO was kept busy, carting machinery about.
That said RMO 386 was later upgraded by having an air-change fitted whereas 122 REO remained a manual shift between the three ranges.
For some reason I always remember that RMO 386 had 10 hundred wheels whereas 122 ERO had 11 hundred.

George was a Rugby (the town) man and Alan was an Abingdonian.

Both refused to wear coats in the winter! always in tee shirts. both thought they were Gods gift to women. Both very likeable chaps.
Both had Austin Westminster overdrives, which I thought was the dogs bumbly things in those days.
I had my first car, a Hillman Imp.
I think George was my first hero worship (non ■■■■■■!) you know, the type that you were inspired to emulate.

Chris
have you anymore photos like that?

Thanks gents for posting all the great photos brings back so many memories, I started at Dix’s Pit in Stanton Harcourt by driving the dumper lorries emptying the bins and supplying premix, batcher man was of course the one and only Jimmy Barrett, need I say any more, lorries I drove was a S Type Bedford in Dix’s colour brown after Amey’s took over I was given a new Thames Trader in Yellow, later when Bob Farmer left I took over the Leyland Super Comet supplying Conbloc. I worked at Conbloc sweeping the pads and loading the lorries with the grab machines ( boring ) it was a dream come true when I got the job at Dix’s. Man in charge of the office was Frank Hall later to become sales manager a gent I have a lot of respect for, I call and have a cuppa with him now and again at Stonesfield, Frank is 94, he drove the old Comet 90’s for Dix’s before going into the office he still drives his car about today. The navvy drive, 22RB was Harold Wall, still OD at Cassington I think, he must be 80. Can you remember the Asphalt Plant at S/H with the two stroke, four wheel Commer’s of Birds of Northampton, blue with a pair of wings across the front. I remember the Foden S20 low Loader coming into the pit, I would loved to have got behind the wheel of that, Jim Collins the driver and Phil Bradley the mate, did you know Phil,? David. I later joined Phil at Hallet and Silderman of Watford. Back at Dix’s, I was off sick with flu for a couple of days, nock on the door, out of bed I got, at the door was Stan Dix, he was looking a bit sad he said sorry Joe I’ve got to give you this, my cards, I now realise after your comment that they were laying off young pit workers so old drivers who did not want to go Owner Drivers could have pit jobs and save Ameys high payouts. After Hallet and Silderman I got a job at Anderson and Blake of Eynsham, car and commercial breakers pulling in the lorry wrecks, I once spent a week down on the South Coast collecting old Premix Lorries and taking them to Morgans of Bishop’s Waltham, they then were exported, a great job. Later I drove for Chris Hayter in his early days and finished my driving career with Kingston Minerals at Fairford, Low Lowder and Tipper work. Before retiring my wife and I worked in many businesses together finishing in Cirencester, I’m still a lorry man at heart and never stop looking at them. Please keep coming up with the photos as I have none apart from me practising Scrambling on my Butaco Matisse flying over the slopes that the navy’s had dug. Joe Paris

Joe
Remember Phil very well, he lived on BB Leys the last time I saw him. That said the last time I saw him must have been 1976 or 7 when I had changed jobs completely.
Phil didn’t have an HGV but wanted to get onto the ‘bigger’ stuff so left and went to Hallet and S

I remember when Phil bought a brand new red mini with white bonnet stripes. He often ran out of petrol on the way to Wotton as he couldn’t afford the petrol. He couldn’t afford shoes either, I’ve seen him come to work In leopard skin slippers!!! If you know Phil you will know why he was poor.

Both me and Phil while we were under 21yrs spent several weeks in railway sidings (now part of Milton tradings estate). We were given the small four wheel foden artic (VRX 110) and the 40ft trailer and one of the small Leylands and flatbed trailer.
Our job was to unload steel from railway trucks and take it around to the steel yard compound (Redpath Brown) that was then used to build the new, Didcot power station. It was in the middle of winter and they supplied us with an old ‘guards ‘ van, it was most appreciated as it had a coal burning stove in it.

Jim Collins left just after I joined, didn’t get to know him because I was just a 15yr old new kid so he never spoke with me. His place was taken by Bob Blowing (as in the wind as he always introduce himself) People found Bob a trifle hard to get on with. He got through a few drivers mates and so I then got put with him (promotion for me as it was the biggest wagon). Bob and I got on very well, I think he appreciated that I wasn’t completely stupid. We were driver and mate for several years, and he argued and won the argument for me to learn to drive our wagon, the six wheeled artic low loader 122 ERO. In those days you had to be 25yrs to drive an Amey truck, They made an exception for me and at 21yrs found myself driving Amey’s biggest wagon!
After I had passed my HGV (still 21) they gave me a Leyland comet low loader, I occasionally took out the Foden after Bob left if they had a big load to move.

For my mate on the Leyland I had a childhood buddy (Colin Brown) who was a year younger than me and was the spitting image of John Lennon. We used to get some funny looks getting out of the low loader with a big load on board and going into the old transport cafes. We were stared at even more when we had to take out the Foden 122 ERO, on one occasion we went to Thames Water on Osney island, Oxford to move their Prestman navy, and the manager there wouldn’t believe that I was the driver, and asked me to send him up (we were in his office).

Joe Paris:
Thanks gents for posting all the great photos brings back so many memories, I started at Dix’s Pit in Stanton Harcourt by driving the dumper lorries emptying the bins and supplying premix, batcher man was of course the one and only Jimmy Barrett, need I say any more, lorries I drove was a S Type Bedford in Dix’s colour brown after Amey’s took over I was given a new Thames Trader in Yellow, later when Bob Farmer left I took over the Leyland Super Comet supplying Conbloc. I worked at Conbloc sweeping the pads and loading the lorries with the grab machines ( boring ) it was a dream come true when I got the job at Dix’s. Man in charge of the office was Frank Hall later to become sales manager a gent I have a lot of respect for, I call and have a cuppa with him now and again at Stonesfield, Frank is 94, he drove the old Comet 90’s for Dix’s before going into the office he still drives his car about today. The navvy drive, 22RB was Harold Wall, still OD at Cassington I think, he must be 80. Can you remember the Asphalt Plant at S/H with the two stroke, four wheel Commer’s of Birds of Northampton, blue with a pair of wings across the front. I remember the Foden S20 low Loader coming into the pit, I would loved to have got behind the wheel of that, Jim Collins the driver and Phil Bradley the mate, did you know Phil,? David. I later joined Phil at Hallet and Silderman of Watford. Back at Dix’s, I was off sick with flu for a couple of days, nock on the door, out of bed I got, at the door was Stan Dix, he was looking a bit sad he said sorry Joe I’ve got to give you this, my cards, I now realise after your comment that they were laying off young pit workers so old drivers who did not want to go Owner Drivers could have pit jobs and save Ameys high payouts. After Hallet and Silderman I got a job at Anderson and Blake of Eynsham, car and commercial breakers pulling in the lorry wrecks, I once spent a week down on the South Coast collecting old Premix Lorries and taking them to Morgans of Bishop’s Waltham, they then were exported, a great job. Later I drove for Chris Hayter in his early days and finished my driving career with Kingston Minerals at Fairford, Low Lowder and Tipper work. Before retiring my wife and I worked in many businesses together finishing in Cirencester, I’m still a lorry man at heart and never stop looking at them. Please keep coming up with the photos as I have none apart from me practising Scrambling on my Butaco Matisse flying over the slopes that the navy’s had dug. Joe Paris

Welcome aboard Joe. to get another Amey man after all this time is good news ,I know you will get lots of questions .I have a few !.
Firstly are you the guy that at one time had a car accident ,in a mini I think- I remember someone name of Paris done up like the invisible man covered in bandages in Stanton Premix visiting Jimmy Barret if so more on that later.

Frank Hall was as you say a nice bloke and well respected and was a sales rep ,later manager and glad /surprised he is still around.
Stan Dix another stalwart , you do not find chaps like him today around gravel pits ,I used to go with him to select the quarry faces to obtain the grades for our lean mix work (Premix ) . Another ex Dix driver was Tony Baston – later went to Smiths Cassington as mixer driver for many years after . That will do for starters but I’m afraid that new photos will be very rare. TOSHBOY

Ivor
I still haven’t ventured into my loft and the longer I leave it the more of a job it will be!

I was thinking your photo of Wotton yard, the one with the low loader on. I said that it looked like the trailer I had early seventies. They must have changed the coupling on the trailer though as when I started the small Leyland comets (the round cab types) used to have scammel couplings not fifth wheel.

davidcox:
Ivor
I still haven’t ventured into my loft and the longer I leave it the more of a job it will be!

I was thinking your photo of Wotton yard, the one with the low loader on. I said that it looked like the trailer I had early seventies. They must have changed the coupling on the trailer though as when I started the small Leyland comets (the round cab types) used to have scammel couplings not fifth wheel.

Hi David, Iv’e wondered about that as well because although we only had the one Scammel coupling trailer on Ameys ,coupled to an ex RAF petrol Bedford , always believed those couplings had a weight limit before a detachable 5th wheel type was needed and thought that for low loader was unusual , looking at the next trailer with the barrels on I’m convinced it’s the same original one because it does not have a headboard -never did that’s why the front barrels are vertical and carried " Bewoid" out of Sandford paper mill. - ivor

Ivor

Looking at the photo, is the building at the bottom the old car workshop, the one on the right the truck workshop and the small buildings on the left our old offices? In other words the ‘top’ yard from the road?

toshboy:

adr:
Here’s one for you Ivor. Chris
[/quote
Hi Chris and David.
I have not seen that photo before ,very typical of that era as David knows very well ,those boys were well up in the pecking order of Ameys ! what year would that have been David, ? and Chris where did you find this gem ? regards Ivor.

Hi Ivor, hope you are well. I found the photo in an old Transport mag while rooting about in my loft, I got stacks of magazines up there, just finding the time to go through them :unamused: Chris

adr:

toshboy:

adr:
Here’s one for you Ivor. Chris
[/quote
Hi Chris and David.

Hi Ivor, hope you are well. I found the photo in an old Transport mag while rooting about in my loft, I got stacks of magazines up there, just finding the time to go through them :unamused: Chris

Hi Chris, yes mate keeping quite well , nothing that can’t be cured with an hypodermic anyway . hope you keep ok and not all work and no play :slight_smile: you must get that loft sorted though ! , after 25 years retirement I think mine is almost presentable :laughing: ivor

davidcox:
Ivor

Looking at the photo, is the building at the bottom the old car workshop, the one on the right the truck workshop and the small buildings on the left our old offices? In other words the ‘top’ yard from the road?

Hi David ,After all these years not quite sure ,I think your right although it looks like the l/h building by RW s office was then the lubrication bay before the Premix w/s took it over ,Premix started up in 1954 , depends on the year it was taken but my guess would be around 1954/5 because of the ex BRS vehicles in the mix and the lack of the distribution van fleet which started around 56 when I left BRS and back to Ameys during the de-nationalisation period. I do not however remember the Bedford ‘O’ s at that time. Ivor

First time I have posted on trucknet in regards a couple of things first to Joe Paris the Thames trader was 6 cubic yards and plant number was P1. If you tried scrambling there on Saturday afternoon now you would need a wetsuit. I think I may have seen Harold wall about 6 months ago driving one of his sons lorries, I know he was about 12 months ago. Someone mentioned Tony Baston he used to drive for Tony Dix running to Aylesbury premix most of the time before going to smith’s concrete at Cassington when Tony Dix packed up.

toshboy:

davidcox:
Ivor

Hi David ,After all these years not quite sure ,I think your right although it looks like the l/h building by RW s office was then the lubrication bay before the Premix w/s took it over ,Premix started up in 1954 , depends on the year it was taken but my guess would be around 1954/5 because of the ex BRS vehicles in the mix and the lack of the distribution van fleet which started around 56 when I left BRS and back to Ameys during the de-nationalisation period. I do not however remember the Bedford ‘O’ s at that time. Ivor

Reflecting on the Bedford ‘O’ s in that shot I now think that those odd ones could be those which were on Contract C s with the paper mill during nationalisation and returned to fleet, the artic with the barrels still on that job it seems .a return load was always the ‘empties’.

Tra1:
First time I have posted on trucknet in regards a couple of things first to Joe Paris the Thames trader was 6 cubic yards and plant number was P1. If you tried scrambling there on Saturday afternoon now you would need a wetsuit. I think I may have seen Harold wall about 6 months ago driving one of his sons lorries, I know he was about 12 months ago. Someone mentioned Tony Baston he used to drive for Tony Dix running to Aylesbury premix most of the time before going to smith’s concrete at Cassington when Tony Dix packed up.

Hi Joe
Go to bottom of page click post reply,
An empty box comes up,
Go beneath this box and scroll until you get to the post you want to reply to,
Click top right corner of that post — quote,
Go back to empty box which now has the post you want to reply to in it,
Click in the box, write reply
Click. Preview below
If it’s okay click. Submit

toshboy:

davidcox:
Ivor

Hi David, Iv’e wondered about that as well because although we only had the one Scammel coupling trailer on Ameys ,coupled to an ex RAF petrol Bedford , always believed those couplings had a weight limit before a detachable 5th wheel type was needed and thought that for low loader was unusual , looking at the next trailer with the barrels on I’m convinced it’s the same original one because it does not have a headboard -never did that’s why the front barrels are vertical and carried " Bewoid" out of Sandford paper mill. - ivor

Ivor
Looking at the photo of the low loader trailer again, I can see that my old trailer and the one in the photo are different.
My swan neck is rounded and the old one has a angled swan neck.

Now I think about it I can remember when they acquired the new Ergo cabbed Leylands they got new trailers with fith wheel coupling