Ameys--anyone there?

Hi Ivor
Hope your keeping well.
Just found a couple of photos, don’t remember if I’ve already posted them.
They are of a 38RB delivered By Bob Blowing and myself new from RB at Lincoln to Lechlade pit.
The guy in a suit is my Father standing next to Bob.
Plus a picture of RMO 368 with concrete beams for the M6 me thinks, it was in Bellview, Manchester anyway, for a bridge over the railway.

davidcox:
Hi Ivor
Hope your keeping well.
Just found a couple of photos, don’t remember if I’ve already posted them.
They are of a 38RB delivered By Bob Blowing and myself new from RB at Lincoln to Lechlade pit.
The guy in a suit is my Father standing next to Bob.
Plus a picture of RMO 368 with concrete beams for the M6 me thinks, it was in Bellview, Manchester anyway, for a bridge over the railway.

Hi David ,Yes mate keeping ok hope you the same .
Nice photos -Bob and your dad as i remember them and Lechlade with the Premix cotswold plant behind the workshop -have not seen those before ,who’s driving the RB then ?
Where were the beams collected from -not the usual AMEY territory is it - Who was the driver of RMO 368 at that time .and thanks David for giving the thread a lift ! --Ivor

Hi Ivor

Don’t know who drove the 38 it was I presume whoever was going to drive it at the pit.
The driver of RMO 386 at the time was John Greening wasn’t at Ameys for long. That’s Bob running back to help them around the traffic lights. We had already negotiated them without problems, of course it was down to me being an expert rear steersman :slight_smile:
Me and Bob had been together for some time and had it off pat, I think whoever was on the back had stalled the engine several times.

The beams came from I believe Tallington was the name of the village which was about 3 miles north of Stamford on the A1. Looking on google maps street view, Tarmac are still making beams there! Theres a link at the bottom just copy and paste)
The job was all that more difficult in those days as there weren’t any motorways (well not many) we had to get to Bellevue during the day and they closed the railway at midnight so that we could unload. There were two 100ton cranes which was a big deal in those days. It wasn’t only us two waggons from Ameys there were quite a few of us.
David

google.co.uk/maps/@52.66802 … 6656?hl=en

toshboy:
Coles

Thornycroft

W C and R W.jpg

davidcox:
Hi Ivor

Don’t know who drove the 38 it was I presume whoever was going to drive it at the pit.
The driver of RMO 386 at the time was John Greening wasn’t at Ameys for long. That’s Bob running back to help them around the traffic lights. We had already negotiated them without problems, of course it was down to me being an expert rear steersman :slight_smile:
Me and Bob had been together for some time and had it off pat, I think whoever was on the back had stalled the engine several times.

The beams came from I believe Tallington was the name of the village which was about 3 miles north of Stamford on the A1. Looking on google maps street view, Tarmac are still making beams there! Theres a link at the bottom just copy and paste)
The job was all that more difficult in those days as there weren’t any motorways (well not many) we had to get to Bellevue during the day and they closed the railway at midnight so that we could unload. There were two 100ton cranes which was a big deal in those days. It wasn’t only us two waggons from Ameys there were quite a few of us.
David

google.co.uk/maps/@52.66802 … 6656?hl=en

Hi David ,Came across this pic -have you seen it before ?

Hi Ivor
No never seen the picture before.
I saw a Lancia car on t.v. the other day and thought of RW never did get to drive his. Old Roy used to guard driving that for himself.
I used to be asked to wash some of the Jags and would have a bit of a go in them.
Did my first 100mph when I had to pick one up from a garage in Somertown, only 17 then. Bit disappointed as there wasn’t as much sensation of speed as in my 1200 Anglia!
One of our jobs on lowloader section was to tart the wagon up and take Ron’s boat Norema to the seaside for his hols.
I had the job one day after being summoned to the heavy shop of hand winching a ‘revolutionary’ own design a raisable if that’s a word, keel. Got me cause I was young and fit and used to winching I suppose.

davidcox:
Hi Ivor
No never seen the picture before.
I saw a Lancia car on t.v. the other day and thought of RW never did get to drive his. Old Roy used to guard driving that for himself.
I used to be asked to wash some of the Jags and would have a bit of a go in them.
Did my first 100mph when I had to pick one up from a garage in Somertown, only 17 then. Bit disappointed as there wasn’t as much sensation of speed as in my 1200 Anglia!
One of our jobs on lowloader section was to tart the wagon up and take Ron’s boat Norema to the seaside for his hols.
I had the job one day after being summoned to the heavy shop of hand winching a ‘revolutionary’ own design a raisable if that’s a word, keel. Got me cause I was young and fit and used to winching I suppose.

Hi David , not sure about your winching -i reckon you know about a bit of wenching as well !. cheers Ivor

Made a mistake with the yacht name should have been
NORYEMA

RON AMEY backwards

Hello Ivor, a couple for you, apologies if they’ve been posted before. From Alan Grimmett on flickr, he is ex BRS and some of the pics in his collection are scans.
Eddie
PS another milestone in sight but you are still well ahead of me :smiley: :smiley:

oiltreader:
Hello Ivor, a couple for you, apologies if they’ve been posted before. From Alan Grimmett on flickr, he is ex BRS and some of the pics in his collection are scans.
Eddie
PS another milestone in sight but you are still well ahead of me :smiley: :smiley:

Hi Eddie ,
Thanks for the Amey pics in the original signage ,the Albions served well on inter depot trunks,-another milestone yes, they come around quicker than they used to! but dont try to catch me up,keeping ok though hope your the same. Fantastic collection of COMS as well ,the history was interesting i wonder when the last time they had an Oxford born driver.!

Hi Pete, I worked for Amey transport at Northumberland Av on the Tk Bedford they had I think the other trucks were Thames Trader then we moved from there to Cardiff rd where we had the new AEC and fords for multi drops.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Hi Alan, the picture of the poor man’s AEC was like the one I picked up at Amey s Wooton in Oxfordshire plus trailer when we moved to Cardiff Rd Reading.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

davidcox:
Hi Ivor

David

google.co.uk/maps/@52.66802 … 6656?hl=en[/quote

The concrete beam manufacturer at Tallington,although now a Tarmac organisation,was called Dowmac in the 60’s and 70’s.

David

Ivor
you still okay, post has been a little slow lately :smiley:

davidcox:
Ivor
you still okay, post has been a little slow lately :smiley:

Hi David, yes mate I’m keeping ok ,well apart from the usual old age pains that come and go but still sound in mind , I have no contacts locally to keep the thread going , its :frowning: being the oldest ■■ survivor of the original ‘Ameys’ locally, if only in my days we had access to cheap cameras ! . hope you are keeping well etc Regards ivor

Glad all As well as can be.
Still haven’t been into my loft!!! So no new photos. As you say wish cameras and film were a lot cheaper in the black and white days, seen lots of ordinary things in the day that would be interesting nowadays.

Thought I was on the way into the loft last night as my heating went on the blink. All my pump, diverter valves etc are in the loft, but this morning it was working okay!!!

When I logged on this morning I went straight into an early page and saw an old photo of Wootton yard, pride of place centre screen was what looked like an old Bedford was the Bedford with my Tasker low loader trailer on the back.

David

Ameys Lowloader4.jpg

wootton yard.jpg

davidcox:

Hi David,
Ameys loved the Bedfords didn’t they, when I was demobbed in 1949 I reported to Abingdon labour exchange looking for a job ,my Army papers recorded me as a driver /mechanic so I was sent to Wooton ,saw a Mr Lucy.he looked at my card and called a Mr Minns so the interview was with both of them , it seemed the job was for a workshop mechanic (no technicians those days) and questioned me on the w/s job, I let them know I was not interested in the workshop job and wanted a driving job .
Mr Minns said unless they got more vehicles there was no driving job ,and said if I went into w/s for a few weeks to help recondition some ex WD Bedfords and then I could go driving on tippers which was ok by me so I got a start. The Bedfords were mostly ex RAF units and we converted them to tippers ,so I got my driving job in the end, but I did not stay on tippers very long.
The yard line up shows their loyalty to Bedfords and the Neville forward control cabs were fitted by Amey as well .these gave a useful increased body length .
Looking through the old photos I remember that many had interesting specs and histories ,each photo has a story ,I suppose that’s why we cherish them although perhaps not so interesting to others, Ameys were certainly keen to adapt to get the most out of any chassis.

Here’s one for you Ivor. Chris