Americans not taking basic advice

Many of us have a dim view of the intelligence of our friends across the pond; today simply provides a bit more evidence to confirm that view.

Immediately following yesterday’s total eclipse in North America, there was a spike in Google search strings for the term “my eyes hurt”.

Coincidence? Not really: When the search data is broken down by state, the searches are a close match to the path of totality, and, the match for more specific search terms such as “my eyes hurt after looking at the eclipse” makes the link even clearer.

1 Like

nothing surprises me with them. many moons ago when yahoo chat was a thing i had an online “friend” that i used to chat to who was an engineer and by all accounts a clever person. When 911 happened he spent three nights camped out in his garden with his sons bb gun so he could take pot shots with it at any aircraft that might fly over in case they were hijacked.

It’s a bit concerning that arguably the most powerful country in the world has some of the dimmest people :smile:

To the nation’s horror (or dismay or embarrassment, or some combination of the three), the president then looked directly at the sun several times, squinting and pointing. An aide shouted, “Don’t look!”

By one count, Trump had looked up at the sun at least six times, violating really the only rule of watching a solar eclipse: Do not stare at the sun without protective eyewear.

Then-President Donald Trump looks up toward the Solar Eclipse

President Donald Trump, sans glasses and standing beside first lady Melania Trump, looks up at a solar eclipse from a White House balcony on Aug. 21, 2017.Jabin Botsford / The Washington Post via Getty Images file

He later put on protective glasses and continued to watch the eclipse. The incident was one of the many absurd (albeit far less consequential, politically speaking) moments of Trump’s presidency.

Allegedly the light passed straight through him and created a Batman sign n the floor beneath his ■■■■.

Probably.

To be fair what would you expect from a president who asked if the people could be injected with disinfectant as a vaccination for Covid-19 :roll_eyes: :laughing:

That of course, and it also coincides with his idea of using light to kill the virus.
Didn’t he say summat about swallowing an ultraviolet tube?

Thankfully some US senators are now getting advice from a higher source.

The comments do show that they are not all the same, but, well…
Even I am speechless.

I said above that Trump asked if people could be injected with disinfectant but on reflection I think he asked his heath advisors if people could drink disinfectant to beat Covid.

I would definitely encourage as many Americans as possible to drink, or inject, or snort any household cleaning products they have access to, how else can we raise the average intelligence level of the world?

Several shorts comparing the US to the EU and some about the UK too.

:rofl: Where the “French” girl tackles the “US girl” saying “It hurts my ears…”
I used to work in a lab with a gorgeous French girl (we all fancied her, one of those girls where it is impossible not to fancy her) and she said the same about my attempts to speak the odd bit of French.

My user name is a hint as the level (low) of my own command of French.
I was surprised that some French people find English accents ■■■■…I never had any luck from that.
A lot of good speakers tend to have a noticeable American accent, but I did meet one really nice young lady, in Tain L’Hermitage, who spoke English with a Franco-Geordie accent after spending a few years up in your area.

Although I was aware of it the simple differences between US and EU work, holidays, sickness etc are all nicely precised in the videos.