American Truckstop Food!

Yes, hats off to costa in the services. Good tasty food and only £4.85 for a ham & cheese sandwich. I dread to think what that burger would cost at an MSA. I’ve never lived in the US but I’ve been on holiday there plenty times, the choice & standard of food is excellent. You don’t have to eat burgers, pancakes and doughnuts. It’s not as if we are all anorexic in this country is it.

There is an American program on TV called, Man Versus Food, and some of the amounts they serve up are incredible, and some of the stuff they eat, My God!!

There is a Canadian one called…“You gotta eat here.” That looks the ■■■■■■■■ to be fair!

Comming over on a holiday youwill find, much as I did on the times I came here that the food is cheaper and better, but when you live here and earn US dollars instead of the pound stirling which gets you more dollars you will find it expensive believe me. it’s crazy that a coffee and 2 dounuts at Dunkin Donuts can cost you almost $5.00, thats like going into Gregs and paying % quid for a tea and a sausage roll FFS and I am not even gonna start on that McD’s crap when a meal costs $9.50. You have to think of it as 10 quid to get the ratio for wages right.

And … and … and … American bacon is rubbish :laughing:

+1 it’s so bad it should not be called bacon. Point taken on the costs if you live & work there but, as I said earlier, the prices in an MSA are beyond ridiculous. £2.60 for a medium coffee, £1.90 for a bottle of Pepsi, or 2 for £3. Unbelievable. Saw a cookie in Starbucks at Woodall for the bargain price of £2.40! We should all be built like gok wan with those prices. Kate moss for the female readers.

Slackbladder:
+1 it’s so bad it should not be called bacon. Point taken on the costs if you live & work there but, as I said earlier, the prices in an MSA are beyond ridiculous. £2.60 for a medium coffee, £1.90 for a bottle of Pepsi, or 2 for £3. Unbelievable. Saw a cookie in Starbucks at Woodall for the bargain price of £2.40! We should all be built like gok wan with those prices. Kate moss for the female readers.

Yes but … they are motorway service areas and the same the world over :slight_smile:
Take the ones on I-95 in CT for instance a big mac and a coffee will ste you back $7.00 and thats just the tiny burger and a small coffee, the same thing off the interstate would be half only two thirds of that price, those service areas know you are stuck there and have no choice unless you want to make a costly diversion into a town or city. Dunkin Donuts on I-87 in Bronx for instance charges $4.95 for a coffee and a cheese bagle twist but only 2 miles away on Broadway which actually run parallel charges $3.25 for exactly the same thing. A cheese bagel twist by the way is just bagel bread baked in a twisted form with cheese on top, probably worth about 50p :laughing:
Oh and on the subject of Donuts … 2 years ago in England I bought a dozen jam doughnuts in Tesco for 1.99, over here a dozen jam ones would cost about $9.00 and thats bulk buying, on it’s own a doughnut is about $2.00

Pat Hasler:

Slackbladder:

Yes but … they are motorway service areas and the same the world over :slight_smile:
Take the ones on I-95 in CT for instance a big mac and a coffee will ste you back $7.00 and thats just the tiny burger and a small coffee, the same thing off the interstate would be half only two thirds of that price, those service areas know you are stuck there and have no choice unless you want to make a costly diversion into a town or city. Dunkin Donuts on I-87 in Bronx for instance charges $4.95 for a coffee and a cheese bagle twist but only 2 miles away on Broadway which actually run parallel charges $3.25 for exactly the same thing. A cheese bagel twist by the way is just bagel bread baked in a twisted form with cheese on top, probably worth about 50p :laughing:
Oh and on the subject of Donuts … 2 years ago in England I bought a dozen jam doughnuts in Tesco for 1.99, over here a dozen jam ones would cost about $9.00 and thats bulk buying, on it’s own a doughnut is about $2.00

hi pat.im on holiday in the us at the moment, im shocked how the cost of living has gone up in the last year, i reckon its costing 20% more this year, even breakfasts cost more now than in the uk. blimey im catching the moaning bug. :laughing: :laughing:

Considering that Canada is famous for Bacon (in the US at least) you would assume that it’s good stuff, not so, it is basically strips of fat with a bit of stringy red snot holding it together :cry: The Pork over here is the tastiest juciest Pork I’ve ever had, even well done it’s still nice and moist, but the Bacon is crap. Unless you go to a Butcher and ask them to get some cuts of Back Bacon, then you get the real stuff :sunglasses: All I’ve got to do now is educate them about Gammon and the job’s a good 'un :wink:

newmercman:
Considering that Canada is famous for Bacon (in the US at least) you would assume that it’s good stuff, not so, it is basically strips of fat with a bit of stringy red snot holding it together :cry: The Pork over here is the tastiest juciest Pork I’ve ever had, even well done it’s still nice and moist, but the Bacon is crap. Unless you go to a Butcher and ask them to get some cuts of Back Bacon, then you get the real stuff :sunglasses: All I’ve got to do now is educate them about Gammon and the job’s a good 'un :wink:

Know what you mean. I was talking once to my Canadian cousin about the difference in bacon, and he said basically when a British butcher carves up a pig you get bacon. What he throws on the floor is what we call bacon!

diesel dan:
hi pat.im on holiday in the us at the moment, im shocked how the cost of living has gone up in the last year, i reckon its costing 20% more this year, even breakfasts cost more now than in the uk. blimey im catching the moaning bug. :laughing: :laughing:

You’re here on holiday :exclamation: thats why the costs went up then :laughing:

I can get English bacon in Yonkers and they serve it in at least 2 diners there. The downside is that English breakfast at either costs $13.95 :open_mouth:

If God hadn’t meant us to eat animals, he wouldn’t have made them out of meat.

Why is American milk so bad,it tastes bad,and yes the bacon is too sweet and very bad too,is the Wendy`s chain still going strong over there?And Dennys too?

toby1234abc:
Why is American milk so bad,it tastes bad,and yes the bacon is too sweet and very bad too,is the Wendy`s chain still going strong over there?And Dennys too?

Had the best cheeseburger of my life in a Denny’s . You know it’s gonna be of substance when the waitress asks if you want it medium, rare or well done, and to be fair it was awesome. I hope they’re still going cos i intend to have another one, one day.

I have been to Boston, Florida several times, Seattle and Portland and can’t find decent cheese! Do Americans only do bland boring thinly sliced cheese? Or not forgetting the “can” of cheese?

id give that burger a go, prob would only get halfway through it

DaiDap:

toby1234abc:

Had the best cheeseburger of my life in a Denny’s . You know it’s gonna be of substance when the waitress asks if you want it medium, rare or well done, and to be fair it was awesome. I hope they’re still going cos i intend to have another one, one day.

Wendy’s are still going, not bad burgers for a big chain, better than McDs, but not as good as Burger King and nowhere near as good as In n Out, Five Guys or Whataburger :wink:

Denny’s are now the resturaunt in the Flying J Truckstops and they’re awful, ridiculously small menu with Cheese on everything, the Cheese is even worse than their Bacon, it’s just yellow lard with Cheese flavouring and it is disgusting stuff. There are a couple of half decent items on the menu, but if you’re out all week you run out of options by Wednesday. The Steaks they use are huge, but completely tasteless and the rest of the menu comes out of a box or a packet :unamused:There is no balance to the meals, it’s just meat with potatoes (frozen chips or packet mash) and Cheese on everything :open_mouth:

The other major drawback of going into Denny’s is having to watch the natives eat, it appears they cannot coordinate left and right hands, your average 5yr old has better table manners, oh and they wear their bloody baseball caps while they’re eating too, usually whilst having a top of their voice conversation about Nascar on their bluetooths :unamused:

I would rather sit in my cab and eat my own food with the risk of madness from solitude than spend another minute in the company of these neanderthals :wink: