Amber beacons

Why do drivers who have these fitted feel the need to use them constantly? I can understand it on the big plant movers with big over hangs etc. But you also see a plant hire lorry with a mini digger on the back with all the beacons going■■? If you delivered the same machine in kit form in say,6 pallets,would you feel the need for a beacon? :unamused: And why does an AA transporter with a mondeo on the back have to travell from A to B better illuminated than Gatwick Airport? :question:

Sometimes very occasionally it can be down to having used them and forgetting to turn them off, but usually it’s because they are there and people think they look cool.

On the rare occasion that I use mine I turn them off as soon as I leave the site or loading spot, I forgot the other day and felt like a right knob when I realised as I was only carying an 8t machine.

8wheels:
it can be down to having used them and forgetting to turn them off

I found this to be the case with tippers more than any other - easy solution, especially if coming towards you - flash headlamps to get drivers attention - put 1 finger pointing to the sky and spin it around - works every time :smiley:

They are a right menace, fine if you need to use them but a lot of the time its like light wars espec if you are stuck behind someone late at night and your a bit tired they burn right into your retina.

ROG:
I found this to be the case with tippers more than any other - easy solution, especially if coming towards you - flash headlamps to get drivers attention - put 1 finger pointing to the sky and spin it around - works every time :smiley:

I get that, but then i do drive a Stobart lorry. :stuck_out_tongue:

But yes, Mr. AA the man who can always bloody did have his beacons going when i was on nights. They’re hard work when it’s dark.

very annoying on nights , but everything on the road seems to have them now :open_mouth:

Its because they are “special” and think they are important, and everyone should be looking at them in admiration of their special load.

In reality everyone looks at them thinking what a :unamused: they are.

When I had the mixer some sites wanted them on, some didnt, so was easy to forget them when you left site…

IS there a law for recovery vehicles that they MUST use beacons if they are towing a car etc on a recovery, or just an unwritten one■■?

Same as coddy, but if you see mine on please flash me to remind me to turn them off :wink: :wink:

The beacons on recovery vehicles are only supposed to be used when stationary at the side of the road. Although I can see why they use them when towing trucks or something slowly. A few times I’ve seen the flashing of beacons coming from around a corner and have slowed down before the impatient ■■■■ in a bmw overtakes it and wipes me out head on.

found this
7 Warning beacon emitting amber light

Used so as to be lit except-

(i) at the scene of an emergency;

(ii) when it is necessary or desirable to warn persons of the presence of the vehicle; and

(iii) in the case of a breakdown vehicle, while it is being used in connection with, and in the immediate vicinity of, an accident or breakdown, or while it is being used to draw a broken-down vehicle.

So it is a legal requirement when ‘towing’ a broken down vehicle…

But does it apply when the vehicle is on the back of a flatbed??

Always was embarrasing pulling back in the yard with beacons, esp as we had to drive past the main offices where everyone could see you… :blush: :blush:

no very wrong,recovery vehicles do not need to have amber beacons on when they are not at the scene of a breakdown.makes me laugh when a 1 car tilt/slide passes me in the outside lane with his beacons going.i dont need ANY for carrying 12,so why should they need one for carrying 1?.

buck73:
no very wrong,recovery vehicles do not need to have amber beacons on when they are not at the scene of a breakdown.makes me laugh when a 1 car tilt/slide passes me in the outside lane with his beacons going.i dont need ANY for carrying 12,so why should they need one for carrying 1?.

Exactly! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I want a beacon now!!! So I can turn it on :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :unamused:

I had a truck fitted with a beacon for airport deliveries yesterday. I managed to resist the temptation to switch it on as I went down the M1.

as people have said - to make em look like Billy Big Wheels, especially annoying to us boys as it detracts from the spectacle when we come along with a proper special load :wink: :laughing:

I’ll run with mine on if i’m towing an artic or a coach for the simple reason people don’t expect to see anything behind me. However as soon as i hit the open road i’ll switch them off unless i’ve got a severely damaged vehicle with rediculous overhangs. But normally i’ll just run them if i feel people need to be aware of the sheer length of the combination.

I will however always have them on as i arrive at the scene, whilst i’m there and when i pull off again. I just want to make myself as visible as possible.