Amazon double decker trailers

simcor:

Simon:

simcor:
Rubbish. At our place you can’t even go out without a decker until you have done the skid pan training and been trained to use double deckers.

So not everywhere is just a video and tick box exercise without any practical training and use instructions

I’ve never ever been on a skid pan. Not even in a car, let alone an artic. Can I come and have a play :smiley: ■■.

The rollover/skidpan training is done at bruntingthorpe. It is apparently rather good fun so I’m told. I think anyone could pay to do the course, but no idea how much it costs.

Some places will just send people out with no training on anything, others have certain rules like being decker trained.

It is pot luck to some degree but places should spend more time training people on different types of kit.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

"Good Fun " - getting a unit sideways at 30 mph and being encouraged to do so :smiley: :smiley:
I have been on that course - we pull double decks (moving floors) for M+S - you must attend and pass the course and have another 2 shifts worth of training before you are allowed out with one by yourself . Our boss put us through it but I can assure you its one of the best courses out there. It also counts as a CPC day . You spend an hour inside then the rest of the morning on the skid pan a break for dinner then the afternoon with a tanker with stabiliser wheels and an hour back in the classroom to finish off .
If you ever get offered the chance to go on this course (provided by IRST ) just go its a great day out and you will learn

I’m going to post a link to their website - if thats not allowed the mods can remove it . They say they are the only ones in the UK offering this training so they are just a bit specalised .
I’ve no links to them other than I’ve been on the course and fully recommend them

Martinb78:
Hi all thank you so
Much for your replies, I just quite the Amazon relay job tonight because I asked for training in the double deckers and what I got met another driver at a yard and told me where the levelling buttons were and said that was it… so I went to Amazon Hemel tonight and guess what. Double decker to Birmingham. I’ll be honest I had a complete panic and said that’s it can’t do this. I can’t drive something that big without training.
Boss not happy but felt it was the right thing to do.
Back in the hunt for another job now that will give some proper training…
Cheers guys drive safe

I do think this is an over reaction, but at the end of the day only you can make the call to take something you are not happy to take.

You will find that some single deckers are taller than doubles, and when double stacked ride like double deckers.

I’m not having a go at you, just pointing out not everything is black or white.

beefy4605:

simcor:

Simon:

simcor:
Rubbish. At our place you can’t even go out without a decker until you have done the skid pan training and been trained to use double deckers.

So not everywhere is just a video and tick box exercise without any practical training and use instructions

I’ve never ever been on a skid pan. Not even in a car, let alone an artic. Can I come and have a play :smiley: ■■.

The rollover/skidpan training is done at bruntingthorpe. It is apparently rather good fun so I’m told. I think anyone could pay to do the course, but no idea how much it costs.

Some places will just send people out with no training on anything, others have certain rules like being decker trained.

It is pot luck to some degree but places should spend more time training people on different types of kit.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

"Good Fun " - getting a unit sideways at 30 mph and being encouraged to do so :smiley: :smiley:
I have been on that course - we pull double decks (moving floors) for M+S - you must attend and pass the course and have another 2 shifts worth of training before you are allowed out with one by yourself . Our boss put us through it but I can assure you its one of the best courses out there. It also counts as a CPC day . You spend an hour inside then the rest of the morning on the skid pan a break for dinner then the afternoon with a tanker with stabiliser wheels and an hour back in the classroom to finish off .
If you ever get offered the chance to go on this course (provided by IRST ) just go its a great day out and you will learn

^^^this made me laugh…

I also worked for M&S via GIST as an agency driver for a few months not long after passing class 1 in 2006. Within a couple of weeks of working for them I was given a 15 min ‘instructional chat’ from another driver on operating a decker and sent on my way from ■■■■■■■■■■■ to the boat at Cairnryan. To say I was terrified would have been an understatement!

Three problems with that scenario…but they happen every day even now I would imagine…

1. Brand new driver, ink hardly dried on licence
  2. Nightshift - dark all shift, perfect for mistakes
  3. Agency position - no training apart from my 15 mins, no mates to call in same company at 3am when stuck

Outcome - nothing. I managed with no major dramas and went on to drive deckers occasionally with CityLink and others. Rather liked them actually.

Cheers…

Scannyfanny:
Three problems with that scenario…but they happen every day even now I would imagine…

3. Agency position - no training apart from my 15 mins, no mates to call in same company at 3am when stuck

Outcome - nothing. I managed with no major dramas and went on to drive deckers occasionally with CityLink and others. Rather liked them actually.

Cheers…

A proper moving floor or what M+S call the other type of decker a "conventional decker " the one with the internal taillift for about 6 cages / dollies and the wheels set in so it forms a narrow passage on the bottom deck ?

I drive 16’2" lifting floor double decks for 50% of my working week. Other than training to work the lifting deck and remembering that it is higher than the 14’ trailers I use the other 50% of my shifts it’s absolutely no different. Feels a little heavier when fully loaded, but I don’t drive around like a lunatic so I don’t find cornering and issue.

beefy4605:

Scannyfanny:

Cheers…

A proper moving floor or what M+S call the other type of decker a "conventional decker " the one with the internal taillift for about 6 cages / dollies and the wheels set in so it forms a narrow passage on the bottom deck ?

If I remember correctly the GIST trailers were those with the internal tai lift, narrow lower deck with a swan neck and the normal-sized tyres…Citylink’s were similar. Also drove the ‘other’ variety where the whole deck moved, with the smaller wheels. Both required care but for different reasons.

Cheers.