Am I too old

Hi all I have read most things on here about driving over in canada, and have always wanted to make the move but with one thing and another the time has never been right but I find my self now in a Position where I could up and leave with in Month or two with nothing to stop me or get in the way as far as I can tell have been Gathering up all the bits off paper work I think I will need ( from what I read on here) just need to start to email some company’s or may even make a trip over and call in and see a few when there, but here is the big Question, (I was talking to someone today and telling them what I had Planned and they said) your to old they will only want yonger drivers. Which did make me think am I to old. At a very young 41 with 20 years in the transport Industry I think I have plenty of years to give to a good Employer. So if any one knows if its to late or not for me or Weather I should just go for it and see what Happens

Thanks

lol…i was 47 near 48 when i came in 08…
the thing is they want drivers over here not screwdrivers :unamused:
just pick the firm carefully and chose a job you can do …no use flatdecking if you have always run a bulker just to get here ,you would get very miserable…at -30c :wink:
and if you need to be told when to wipe your a,e welll …and if you cant take being treated as a rookie ,to canadian employers you will be until you prove yourself
other than that welcome
jimmy

JIMBO47:
lol…i was 47 near 48 when i came in 08…
the thing is they want drivers over here not screwdrivers :unamused:
just pick the firm carefully and chose a job you can do …no use flatdecking if you have always run a bulker just to get here ,you would get very miserable…at -30c :wink:
and if you need to be told when to wipe your a,e welll …and if you cant take being treated as a rookie ,to canadian employers you will be until you prove yourself
other than that welcome
jimmy

Thanks for the reply jimmy

It just got me think that’s all (your to old)…lol like to think of my self as a driver not a screwdriver but even though been a driver most of my working life still believe there are things to learn, I no what you mean about chose carefully not sure would want to be flatdecking in the winter you have there, have been over in the winter so know how cold it can be. Think I will send of some emails and see what happens so if you or anyone else knows any firms that may be looking or might be worth me contacting would be much Appreciated, have got a few in mind most of have been Mentioned somewhere on here at one time or another,

Thanks again :smiley:

I was 52 when I came over to Canada in 2006. I did nearly 5 years on flat-decks before the arthritus in my hands made the Winter work too painful. I’ll be 60 later this year and now happy pulling dry freight box vans. Get yourself over here for a look round when the weather warms up and knock on a few doors.

ChrisArbon:
I was 52 when I came over to Canada in 2006. I did nearly 5 years on flat-decks before the arthritus in my hands made the Winter work too painful. I’ll be 60 later this year and now happy pulling dry freight box vans. Get yourself over here for a look round when the weather warms up and knock on a few doors.

There’s hope for me yet…lol that’s the plan I think send a few emails and see what happens then come over with all my bits and paperwork and like you say knock on doors :slight_smile:

I’m 48, old and wrinkly with silver grey hair and I got a job here in B.C 1 week ago…

I didn’t know anyone at the company, I didn’t know anyone here in Canada and i am the first Brit ever to work for the company… (they have applied for 5 more LMO’s which will be available in a few months time)

I just wrote a basic CV outlining my past, completed the company application form and emailed it… so at 41 and with 20 years experience you should have no problems.

• Everything that Jimbo says above… be prepared to ‘start at the bottom’ and be treated as a rookie… :open_mouth: the girls in the office where i’m working (the whole trucking company is ran by girls!) were on about getting me a ‘gimp’ mask and tending to their needs! :open_mouth:

Col

Go for it i say, im 41 on Saturday and my family and I will be in Canada in 7 weeks time. Theres plenty of info on here and in my experience(so far), the more research you can do the better !

contractdriver:
I’m 48, old and wrinkly with silver grey hair and I got a job here in B.C 1 week ago…

I didn’t know anyone at the company, I didn’t know anyone here in Canada and i am the first Brit ever to work for the company… (they have applied for 5 more LMO’s which will be available in a few months time)

I just wrote a basic CV outlining my past, completed the company application form and emailed it… so at 41 and with 20 years experience you should have no problems.

• Everything that Jimbo says above… be prepared to ‘start at the bottom’ and be treated as a rookie… :open_mouth: the girls in the office where i’m working (the whole trucking company is ran by girls!) were on about getting me a ‘gimp’ mask and tending to their needs! :open_mouth:

Col

Not sure if it works for you Northern Oiks :laughing: but Canadian women go weak at the knees for over the English accent , use it to your best advantage :wink:

Plenty of drivers over 50 over there and plenty more going out at that age. I just returned to UK (54) for family reasons, but may go back next year for another 2 yrs. You are at a good age to get PR, but anyone can work there if they are fit, and willing to work hard. Just choose a good company.

Just going to send off my cv to companies for now and then hopefully visit in a few months, have read lots of info on here about it all, so I won’t ask if any one can give me any info as I think it’s all been said on here some where, BUT having said that any info or Guidance would be much Appreciated, thanks guys :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I meet drivers here in their mid 70’s so I wouldn’t worry :slight_smile:

contractdriver:
the girls in the office where i’m working (the whole trucking company is ran by girls!) were on about getting me a ‘gimp’ mask and tending to their needs! :open_mouth:

Col

did you say there was jobs going lol

as for the age we had a 55 yr old guy come over here just before I did so dont worry bout it

Gibb,

My own 2 cents (not 2p) is that if, you have not been to Canada, then I suggest a trip.

It is a mind bogglingly large country, with various terrain, from the flat of the Praries, to the beautiful mountains of BC, and rugged Maritime provinces. Each has a differing climate, pace of life, different cost of housing, etc.

If you are the sort of guy that has travelled extensively, back-packed around the world, or been in the military and served overseas, then maybe no need.

If the above does not apply, then a few hundred quid for a flight, might be a good idea.

Oh and then you find out, for example… Winnipeg is know as Wint****g.

That is your first task… find out what Canadians call it… hint, it is rather chilly

Good luck. My view is you are not too old.
(& Gimp masks can be found on e-bay.)

Semi Cdn:
Gibb,

My own 2 cents (not 2p) is that if, you have not been to Canada, then I suggest a trip.

It is a mind bogglingly large country, with various terrain, from the flat of the Praries, to the beautiful mountains of BC, and rugged Maritime provinces. Each has a differing climate, pace of life, different cost of housing, etc.

If you are the sort of guy that has travelled extensively, back-packed around the world, or been in the military and served overseas, then maybe no need.

If the above does not apply, then a few hundred quid for a flight, might be a good idea.

Oh and then you find out, for example… Winnipeg is know as Wint****g.

That is your first task… find out what Canadians call it… hint, it is rather chilly

Good luck. My view is you are not too old.
(& Gimp masks can be found on e-bay.)

Thanks semi

Have been to canada on a few Occasions both winter and summer, so have some idea what it’s like only though the middle though never East or west, and of course always on holiday so am Aware that things will be a bit different if I get the chance to live and work
There, so just trolling the Internet try to find Companies at the moment, but more than likely will be coming over in a few months time for a good look round and knock some doors.

Cheers liam

I was 42 when i moved, so your not to old.

I don’t get the winter peg thing the who place is freezing

ach KR79 when its not freezing …you are fighting off sparrow sized bugs…
jimmy :stuck_out_tongue:

Must be doing something wrong not get many replies from emails sent :frowning: :frowning:

nope its the Canadian way…
companies must get hundreds o emails every wk…
best to phone and say you will be over on … can i stop in and speak to you.would you be interested?.
my look at things
jimmy.

JIMBO47:
nope its the Canadian way…
companies must get hundreds o emails every wk…
best to phone and say you will be over on … can i stop in and speak to you.would you be interested?.
my look at things
jimmy.

A very good point should of thought of that
Sounds like very good advise I need to sort my self out and arrange a time to vist