Am i to old & inexperienced?

:cry: Hi my name is tom i worked for royal mail for 24 years as a post man i ocasionally did what we called a con run where i drove a 7.5 ton, in 2007 i passed my class 2 but i never really got the chance to drive a 32 Ton apart from getting experience doing my lessonā€™s;; due to politics the only one thing i managed to get from RM was a digital tac; i stoped working for them in 2011 so i thought iā€™d take up photography i did a Diploma this year which i passed, but for some reason my heart only is in Driving those big Rigā€™s.i was thinking though because of the lack of driving a class 2 veichles should i go straight into learning my class 1 that way i could get the feel once again of LGVā€™s; also maybe doing Moffat or Hiab i am a bit sceptical though because i am 50 Nx month and i am a bit worried about whether or not without the lack of exprience and my age will i be able to get a Job, the one good thing is that i do keep myself in good shape, can anyone please give me some good advice.

I havenā€™t even read your post, but no you are not too old. Age is a number that is all, nothing less nothing more. It should never stop you getting in the way of doing something you want(laws permitting)
Go for it!

[/quote]
Thanks much appreciated

Crystal T:
i am a bit sceptical though because i am 50 Nx month and i am a bit worried about whether or not without the lack of exprience and my age will i be able to get a Job, the one good thing is that i do keep myself in good shape, can anyone please give me some good advice.

Hi Tom, thank you for a question I can get my teeth into. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My ā€œgood adviceā€ is: You are only too old and inexperienced if YOU THINK YOU ARE.

50 next month? FFS. I took my class 2 and class 1 (back to back) early last year at the age of 60! It never occurred to me I was too old - didnā€™t even enter my mind to be honest. Nearly two years in and I have still to encounter a job I cannot handle (physically or due to my age, that is). It really is down to attitude and perspective.

Get on with it man - if it is what you want to do - do it (and keep us informed of your progress).

Bloody good luck to you too.

Alan

(Coincidentaly, I passed my RM driving assessment yesterday - age didnā€™t come into it).

Your never to old to do your class 1 if you want it then go for it :slight_smile:

There have been plenty of people on here who started in there forties and fifties, I am 49 and I started driving wagons in my forties.

Hi Tom I agree with the other guys your certainly not to old i did my class 2 in August this year and doing my class 1 a week after turning 50 next month and hope to fulfil my personal ambition of becoming a trucker before I retire all the best and good luck from one Tom to another

There is this fella who works as a driver for one of the supermarketsā€¦76 years old and as sharp and active as somebody half his age. Amazing really.

Youā€™re not too old to do class one, but in the meantime why not try to get some work on class two as youā€™ve already got the licence.

This is the best time of year to be looking for driving work of any class.

Do it, I am 48 years old (tomorrow :wink: ) and passed my class 3 in 1987 with the TA and have never drive a wagon since I left over 20 years ago.
I had let the licence expire but my boss asked me to take the medical and I regained my (now) class 2.
After a week being shadowed by another driver and getting good reports I have just had my first week out alone and loved it and I mean it was brilliant also I got a couple of grand wage rise and a fair whack of overtime.
I thought I might be near the age to settle on the job I was originally doing with the company but I am so glad my boss talked me into driving :wink:

Thanks Guys your words of wisdom sure is reassuring i am just waiting for my licence to come back from being renewed; i will keep you posted, Thanks Again. :slight_smile:

Tom is a silly ole bugger
Thinks heā€™s too old at being a trucker
ā€œGet done yer class oneā€
Was the message from everyone
Yer a daft ole f ker :laughing:

Took my Cat CE 2 moth before I was 50 back in jan never stopped working since March on CE

Yep have a full time job working on fridges as think that suits me best

ang

Ok have been driving for the last 17 years on vans /sprinters / 7.5 before taking my Cat C & CE so never too old

A healthy proportion of our candidates are top side of 40 with a good number of them being 50ā€™s. No problem.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Tom I am 55 and did my Class 1 in August this year. Not stopped working since but I have only done night trunks as I like nights. Age is not a barrier in trucking I find. :smiley:

I know 3 drivers who are over 65 and canā€™t retire! They have loads of work