Am i past it.......

Hi im thinking of coming back to Long Distance or Euro work, if i can find work ? Thing is i have been out of Trucking for seven years now but my Job at moment is not looking to good . I have my Digi Card and Done some Dcpc and i guess i can still handle the job.
Just like any comments from anyone thats gon back into Haulage after a long time.
Thanks…

i think you’re waaaaayyyy past it mate but if you could keep looking and let me know if you find a good job i’ll be grateful … :grimacing:

just kidding mate you’re never past it till you’ve past it … keep on truckin … :sunglasses:

stevie p:
Hi im thinking of coming back to Long Distance or Euro work, if i can find work ? Thing is i have been out of Trucking for seven years now but my Job at moment is not looking to good . I have my Digi Card and Done some Dcpc and i guess i can still handle the job.
Just like any comments from anyone thats gon back into Haulage after a long time.
Thanks…

I went back after 17 yrs, picked it up within a couple of hours, you didn’t say your age though !

I agree with bald bloke, I was out 11 years and not long gone back to it, 15 minutes and it was like I’d never been away :smiley:. The auto boxes make life much easier and the job hasn’t changed much, driving is still driving. Let us know how you get on, go for it :smiley: .
Phil

I’m over 60 and can’t get a full time job, luckily I have a couple of mates that run trucks and I’m always available if they need me, suits me and suits them. To be honest though, it would be selfish to take a full time job and deprive a youngster of a job. I know there are oldies that want to work beyond 65, not only are they bonkers, but (in my opinion) selfish.

Tiger.

PS sorry to go off topic chaps.

Fastrantiger:
I’m over 60 and can’t get a full time job, luckily I have a couple of mates that run trucks and I’m always available if they need me, suits me and suits them. To be honest though, it would be selfish to take a full time job and deprive a youngster of a job. I know there are oldies that want to work beyond 65, not only are they bonkers, but (in my opinion) selfish.

Tiger.

There are also oldies who need to and have to work past 60… We have 3 of the guys at our place. 100 x more reliable than any of the youngsters we have employed.

Marcelleke:

Fastrantiger:

Tiger.

There are also oldies who need to and have to work past 60… We have 3 of the guys at our place. 100 x more reliable than any of the youngsters we have employed.

I say if an older guy and a younger guy go for a job, and the older guy gets it, it tells me he’s the better man for the job.
Personally, I’ve worked with a few older gyus and found them to be great, get on with the job, don’t moan (as much) but also don’t take any ■■■■, which is brill.

If you want to go back to driving mate, sounds like you’ve done all the right steps, now just get applying, our place seems to love the older guys, we had a 66yr old who quit a few months ago, they replaced him with a 62yr old. I’m the youngest guy here at 35 :open_mouth:

Marcelleke:

Unfortunately, employers dont see my years of experience as a benefit. I am reliable, experienced in all aspects of the haulage business and in most cases more experienced than the office pen pushers that hire staff. Couple of years ago I ‘forgot’ to state my date of birth on an application form, I had a phone call asking when I could start “and could I have your date of birth”. Needless to say, they made their excuses and that was that.

Tiger.

7 years out is bugger all, you’ll be welcomed with open arms if you’re old school attitude and can do it.

Small companies probably better to apply to initially where you can see the man who’s money you will be getting, people tend to spend their own money more carefully.

If not then get some agency work for a while to get the feel for the areas transport companies again.

Don’t know about auto boxes making the job any easier, if the satan’s box has to do any serious work it won’t cope unless you lock it manual, bloody useless things.

My TGX 440 had a lovely box and pulled like a train !! :open_mouth: :smiley:

Half our agency staff are ex-fulltimers, over 65,still got bills to pay !

One comes in because, “I,m bored !”

Just to add we have automatics, easy to drive, they know nearly all the drops so its a win, win for them I reckon, and good on em.

I might just do the same when I,m their age.Don’t know.

Rooster:
Half our agency staff are ex-fulltimers, over 65,still got bills to pay !

One comes in because, “I,m bored !”

Just to add we have automatics, easy to drive, they know nearly all the drops so its a win, win for them I reckon, and good on em.

I might just do the same when I,m their age.Don’t know.

Thanks for the comments i am 56 on thursday,I class myself as old school Driving Eaton/Range Change etc Twin spliters + the usual old Atkinsons / 401s Volvo F10/12s
Scania/ not done any Auto/I Shift but can soon learn…

56, you’re not old :open_mouth: , You will pick up auto’s easily, I drove the same trucks you used to, it took me all of 5 mins to master the auto, it’s setting the cruise that takes more time :laughing: :wink:
Phil

philtvc65:
it’s setting the cruise that takes more time :laughing: :wink:
Phil

and the seat! :laughing:
id never driven an auto until last year (not even a car) they are so easy, with th Volvo, push the lever to A and put your foot down, same for reverse (R) there is a M setting, for manual, all the gears are where the splitter would be on a proper manual. I was worrying about my driving assesment in an auto, after 2minutes (honestly, it doesnt take any longer to master them) i didnt give it a second thought.

stevie p:

Rooster:
Thanks for the comments i am 56 on thursday,I class myself as old school Driving Eaton/Range Change etc Twin spliters + the usual old Atkinsons / 401s Volvo F10/12s
Scania/ not done any Auto/I Shift but can soon learn…

Sounds like the ‘old school’ had it more ‘interesting’ :confused: with them type of 'boxes.

And just wish employers could see that ‘old skool’ is better than some of these 'fresh out of uni then driver training school - ‘I know / can do everthing all already- got the piece of paper to prove it’ jumped up knackers! :imp:

I’ve heard too many stories of long termers in factories etc, being pedaled for a kid that’s fresh out of college and has a ‘certificate’ that says ‘I can do that!’ (I know, cheaper etc too :unamused: )

philtvc65:
I agree with bald bloke, I was out 11 years and not long gone back to it, 15 minutes and it was like I’d never been away :smiley:. The auto boxes make life much easier and the job hasn’t changed much, driving is still driving. Let us know how you get on, go for it :smiley: .
Phil

Apart from the fact you have to go waaaaaaay slower :grimacing:

I used a 16 speed box in London on regular trips, after a few hill starts at lights you get that wonderful smell of clutch frying :laughing: . The auto is so easy, seriously. The MAN TGX even has an airflow in the seats to keep you from sweating and it’s heated for winter, there are front screen heaters, amazing radio/cd players, fridges (no more of those mirror can holders that cooled your drink in summer), and sat nav that makes life easier, except when they make it interesting and have you drive off a quayside :laughing: !! Once the early nerves have gone you’ll love it.
Phil

philtvc65:
I used a 16 speed box in London on regular trips, after a few hill starts at lights you get that wonderful smell of clutch frying :laughing: . The auto is so easy, seriously. The MAN TGX even has an airflow in the seats to keep you from sweating and it’s heated for winter, there are front screen heaters, amazing radio/cd players, fridges (no more of those mirror can holders that cooled your drink in summer), and sat nav that makes life easier, except when they make it interesting and have you drive off a quayside :laughing: !! Once the early nerves have gone you’ll love it.
Phil

OMG. Those Mirror Can Holders bring it all back not to mention the twin air horns and twin
CB Arials and i had hair in them days as well. Just hope i can cope being away all the time again after so long. Hope to do Euro i have been in touch with someone that could have something later,fingers crossed…

philtvc65:
Phil

OMG. Those Mirror Can Holders bring it all back not to mention the twin air horns and twin
CB Arials and i had hair in them days as well. Just hope i can cope being away all the time again after so long. Hope to do Euro i have been in touch with someone that could have something later,fingers crossed…

you want to come back to Euro or Distance work
you could if there were any
Stobbies are trying to do away with trampers
and as companies merge the need to tramping goes out the door
as for Euro so few people do it from here compared to past times

but that said drivers are always needed so there is some work
low pay as per and not many days :frowning: