AM I MAD or done the right thing?

Hi all. After being out of Truck Driving for 8 years and been looking for Euro work as I have done in the past,i have been offerd a job doing fridge work to Europe 3 weeks away long week end at home? etc. Reasonable money by todays standards but and for me its a BIG BUT… you may guess I would be running on the wire,etc you all know what I mean by that.So on that account I have declined the job. I would not mention the co. but its not from Ireland.
Some of you may remember I faild an assessment for EST a few months ago but I have re applied for euro and I am waiting to hear from them. I would just like to know your
view on this if poss? I know peoples needs are diferent and the firm that offerd me the job would pay all fines etc.

Thanks for reading and I hope I have done the right thing ?

What do you mean by on the wire :question:

i think jumping back in that deep may be a shock to the system but for some that’s good,sommat will come up

I would say that you have done the right thing,its your licence.

voodoo1:

Bent

the hours are too long as it is without running bent :angry:

Hi Steve I’ve been naughtier than many in the past and got away with most, however that was then and this is now, its simply NOT worth it. No boss can get your license back nor probably afford the fine/deposit for any ‘offence’. I simply can’t believe the risks some drivers take in this area, in many cases risks which will benefit either the boss or some greedy speditor and not even himself. Stay put till summat decent comes up, or Eddie.

I’d say you’ve made the right decision.

I understand weekending away in a foreign country might not suit everyone so running it ‘differently’ to the normal rules might suit some, but I prefer to have some time off, and I’d have thought part of the attraction of doing Europe might be to be weekended someone a bit different and nice now and then■■?

I wouldn’t run bent for anyone, but that’s me, I don’t object to anyone who would as that would be there choice and they’d have their reasons for doing it.

Thanks for the advise, i had to go out last night just after my post,hence the delay in responding. After thinking about it as you do I now know I did the right thing.
I to t.b.h. cant believe so many still want to take the risk.
Anyway thanks again to all that have commented and have a safe day.

If you have an injury accident while on the wire/magnet/switch/whatever you’re going down.

Now, I’m no stranger to taking the occasional liberty & hoping for the best but the reward just doesn’t justify the risk nowadays. No brainer.

big boots:
the hours are too long as it is without running bent :angry:

• 1 I can’t understand folks running bent, you can work more than enough hours legally.

Can I have their number please, sounds ideal for me.

voodoo1:

Back in the 1980’s, I’d say a substantial number of international hauliers “ran bent”, meaning that they expected their drivers to falsify tachograph records. At a time when there was little work about, drivers had little choice but to comply or get off down the dole office.

I used to have to do it myself. I had a Volvo F10, behind the steering column the wiring loom had been opened and a small piece of insulation removed from the black wire. I had a three-inch length of wire with a miniature crocodile clip fitted to each end, this had been thoughtfully provided by the firm. When I fitted one end of “the wire” to the wiring loom and then earthed it out with the other end, I could drive any distance with the tachograph recording “rest”.

I don’t mind admitting that online because it was so very long ago that it is historic, it was part of the culture back then and the authorities understand that, I’ve chatted with VOSA inspectors about the old days and they know that it was what it was.

I wouldn’t dream of doing it nowadays, it died out in the early 1990’s when the French started sending drivers to prison for falsification, prior to that if the Police caught you doing anything wrong you just gave them a bribe, and the firm would refund that. :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d avoid it unless you were desperate. Get a big fine and your working for nothing.

stevie p:
Hi all. After being out of Truck Driving for 8 years and been looking for Euro work as I have done in the past,i have been offerd a job doing fridge work to Europe 3 weeks away long week end at home? etc. Reasonable money by todays standards but and for me its a BIG BUT… you may guess I would be running on the wire,etc you all know what I mean by that.So on that account I have declined the job. I would not mention the co. but its not from Ireland.
Some of you may remember I faild an assessment for EST a few months ago but I have re applied for euro and I am waiting to hear from them. I would just like to know your
view on this if poss? I know peoples needs are diferent and the firm that offerd me the job would pay all fines etc.

If they indicated you’d be breaking the law as a routine, I’d be reporting them not working for them!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Truckulent:

stevie p:

If they indicated you’d be breaking the law as a routine, I’d be reporting them not working for them!! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

+1

trubster:

Truckulent:

stevie p:

+1

Yes I know what your saying,but I am not working for them. I don’t think its my place to do that as the choice of work is my decision,as it is for them that do so.They all know what will happen if cought and I wouldent want to be responsible for putting people out of work would you? as I have said its there Choice right or wrong…

stevie p:

trubster:

Truckulent:

stevie p:

+1

Yes I know what your saying,but I am not working for them. I don’t think its my place to do that as the choice of work is my decision,as it is for them that do so.They all know what will happen if cought and I wouldent want to be responsible for putting people out of work would you? as I have said its there Choice right or wrong…

I wouldn’t give a toss about saving someone a job…

You could be saving someone’s life by reporting the company, its bad enough staying awake after a 15 hour shift, let alone any longer and remember, they won’t get 9 hours rest as the rest period probably would have started when the fuse was pulled.

I know some who do it as they get a percentage of what the truck earns therefore the more you do the bigger the pay check each week.

A good post from Harry Monk, as the 80s and 90s were refered to as giving “coffee money”,i knew a Scouser that ran from Dieppe to Lisbon in one hit, stopping for one loo break, and a microwave sleep,the journey then was slow with bad roads, normaly it would take four full days to get there, he did it in a day and a half, driving through the night.
The impact on the body and mind would later come back to haunt you resulting in burn out or nervous breakdowns.You need sleep to drive safe.
When stopped in the Basque area of Spain, the police would take caravan trips on the same route that you have used, and ask how got from the French port in that time and the distance does not match up.
With the OP post, can you make the boss to sign a legal document to not force you to run bent.I would have done one trip to see how it goes, it may be not as bad as it sounds, he may be refering to boat and ferry catching, and doing the extra bit to make the ferry booking time.