Am I just plain crazy?

HAIRYGORILLA:
the grass may look greener on the other side but it still needs cutting

the grass always looks greener on the other side till you get there and realise how green your grass was.

one of my friends runs some trucks in stobarts colours and they are contracted to do that work only…he’s had a few drivers on them doing tramping…none of them seem to like it,and it’s very difficult to get replacements…that says something about the work. :unamused:

Surely if he’s being offered 32K for a 65 hour week then all he has to do is ask for the offer to be made in writing before accepting the job, then if it turns out to be a pack of lies he’s got some comeback? Does seem a lot working mon-fri though, could maybe understand it if you were working sat and sun as they pay higher.

I think it would’ve been a mistake though not to go for the assessment and just to have gone on what a few people told you, everyone is different and everyone can make their own decision on things. Everyone slags off the company I work for endlessly but I personally have few problems with the job or the people, had a hell of a lot worse. Maybe you can sort something out with your current employer with regards to the chance of getting your job back if it doesn’t work out, 20years must count for something.

Dougal1964:
Now the problem is , I live 15 minutes away from work at the moment, if I was to accept the job, I would be an hour away!
Shall I go for the experience or look for something closer to home?
:blush:

I wouldn’t worry to much about being an hour away, good jobs are rarely found on your doorstep. I live 82 miles from my place of work, go to work Monday morning, home Friday night. If I were in your shoes I’d keep the job you’re doing now. Good luck and welcome to the forum :smiley:

Dougal - just an educated guess :wink: you’re on the bread driving class 2, finished at 0930 except the two days you have to do seconds. You live in Burnley just 15 mins from the depot

Warby’s by any chance■■?

If so have you asked if there are any trunking jobs available at Bolton? Completely different job to the one you’re doing now but as you already know the bread they should be interested at least.

Stan

Stan the money they pay the trunkers is a disgrace! I wouldn’t get out of bed for the money they get :cry:
Hours are crap too.
I’ve had nothing in writing from Stobarts so I’ve not said anything to anyone at work…so don’t anyone be saying anything lol.
I need extra money and as I said I can’t make any extra at Warby’s.
I’m earning less now than I was 6 years ago, they shafted a lot of us.
It used to be a good company to work for, family run and everything, but as usual they got too big and too greedy.
I think I’ve done well to last so long, but for my class 1 I wouldn’t have the chance to move on.

The negative comments I’ve had and I must say I’ve had quite a few, lead me to the conclusion that it’s the same old English trait of not wanting people to do well and better themselves…
If I don’t give it a try, before I know it I’ll be too old and bitter and twisted…enough said.

Stan the money they pay the trunkers is a disgrace! I wouldn’t get out of bed for the money they get :cry:
Hours are crap too.
I’ve had nothing in writing from Stobarts so I’ve not said anything to anyone at work…so don’t anyone be saying anything lol.
It used to be a good company to work for, family run and everything, but as usual they got too big and too greedy.
I think I’ve done well to last so long, but for my class 1 I wouldn’t have the chance to move on.

The negative comments I’ve had and I must say I’ve had quite a few, lead me to the conclusion that it’s the same old English trait of not wanting people to do well and better themselves…
If I don’t give it a try, before I know it I’ll be too old and bitter and twisted…enough said.

Dougal1964:
Hours are crap too.

tThe negative comments I’ve had and I must say I’ve had quite a few, lead me o the conclusion that it’s the same old English trait of not wanting people to do well and better themselves…

take no notice of the “experienced” ex stobart men, the job dont suit everyone, my son is on there been 12 mths now and he`s happy enough at the moment, somebody has a grievance and its the worst firm ever, theres a lot of other blokes on there who accept it for what it is, they have trackers fitted, are on the phone often, but every fortnight the money (which you have agreed) is in the bank, i have always done what i wanted to do, not what some moaner recommends.i have not always been right, but its always been my decision. as i said before , if you fancy it go for it and good luck. bob. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Dougal1964:
The negative comments I’ve had and I must say I’ve had quite a few, lead me to the conclusion that it’s the same old English trait

Well I’ll tell you what then, do us all a favour and ■■■■ off somewhere else for your advice. :unamused: People like you ■■■■ me off no end. You come on these sites asking for help and advice but you don’t actually want help and advice, you just want someone to tell you what you want to hear, and if it isn’t what you want to hear then you start slagging them off :angry: .

If you don’t want to take the advice then fine, your choice, but don’t through it back in the faces of those that were kind enough to answer your queries and offer it in the first place. :angry: Ungrateful [zb].

Say what you think Rob,won’t you. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

Quinny:
Say what you think Rob,won’t you. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ken.

he always does, thats why we like him :laughing:

am i plain crazy? YES
DOUGAL1964 SAYS,The negative comments I’ve had and I must say I’ve had quite a few, lead me to the conclusion that it’s the same old English trait of not wanting people to do well and better themselves.

if you were going somewhere to better yourself and do well, stobart wouldn’t be the place to do those two things, as you will find out.

hand all your uniform in and your boots,if you dont,you will not get any of your wages or your p45.
truth hurts thats why people start yelling and shouting, and quoting old cliche’s, here’s some more crystal clear truths for you.
stobarts big k,s big hours,and cleaner’s wages.
post what you like in reply i couldnt care less.

Rob K:

Dougal1964:
Sorry typo I meant Tuesday to Saturday. My head is right up my *rse this week :laughing:
I’m hoping to be earning 30k+ to make it worth my while.
I’m doubtful about the tramping, but the night shift looks the most likely option.
Although based at Warrington, I’m hoping once I get my foot in the door, there might be a posibility of transfering to Middleton, which is much nearer for me.

This is going to be a life changing decision for myself and my family, so I again would appreciate any form of guidance and advice.

Cheers lads :wink:

I’ll tell you right now, you won’t make £30k/year with Stobart unless you do tramping, max hours every week (70hrs+) and work every weekend shift you can get your hands on. And that’s nights or days. Don’t take any notice of their ads in the papers, it’s just to get bums on seats.

If you haven’t done tramping before then you need to be very careful as it’s a complete lifestyle change and you’ll either love it or hate it, there is no middle ground. Tramping isn’t a job, it is a lifestyle and unless your other half is the kind that can happily go for 5-6 days without seeing you then it will wreck your marriage. There’s a new post on one of the truck forums nearly every week about how their wife has left them for someone else.

I strongly advise you try it before committing to it.

I would actually agree with Robk here :open_mouth: Tramping ain’t for everyone, I’ve tried it (twice) and did not get on with it. couldn’t stand being away from my family. I could probably cope with 2 or maybe 3 nights out but not 5 and that is all that is on offer in Cornwall. Hence i’m back on the buses.

You want to take a look at some of Robs old diarys to find out whats involved with tramping. (perhaps you can post a link Rob)

I will just post something about this. Wheelnut is a dyed in the wool cab s hitter or rather was. spending anything up to 14 weeks earning loads & living away in a tin box.

I gave that up 3 years ago to be home more and now find that 2 or 3 nights away is too much.

I have just had a row with the other half because I want to go to the pub now with a couple of mates. Because she hasnt seen me all week the atmosphere is frosty.

I would kill for your bread truck at the moment :wink:

post removed for personal attack…Denis F

Dougal1964:
All suggestions and comments welcome.

Dougal1964:
This is going to be a life changing decision for myself and my family, so I again would appreciate any form of guidance and advice.

You forgot to add “But only if I like what you have to say” :unamused: :unamused:

Dougal1964:
post removed for personal attack…Denis F

:laughing: :laughing: I think I can guess who that might have been aimed at, whatever it was :laughing: .

grumpybum:

Dougal1964:
All suggestions and comments welcome.

Dougal1964:

You forgot to add “But only if I like what you have to say” :unamused: :unamused:

Quite. Hence why I got slightly :open_mouth: annoyed. :smiley:

Semtex:
You want to take a look at some of Robs old diarys to find out whats involved with tramping. (perhaps you can post a link Rob)

All the pic links are dead Stu, and I can’t be arsed sorting it out :smiley: . There’s plenty of other diaries on here though which are as good if not better.