Am I in trouble with driving regs?

I got one day’s work driving a lorry through an agency.

Due to it being located bottom right of the dashboard below my knee I so can’t see the display unless standing outside with door open. (was a siemans reader)
I Set off driving at 9:23, did 4 drops, when glancing at the reader when I was getting out.it was switching to x’d hammers. I then looked to pulled over at 1:52 to take my 45, as i obviously didn’t want to go over the limit.

Anyway, I tried getting the card out to leave vehicle but couldn’t get it out. messed on with menus, gave up and called company, who told me to keep card in and guided me through to get “rest break” on it. by that time it was 1:54 He told me that after my break, the reader would automatically begin to record “driving” when i pulled away.

when I got back to the depot, I got out then looked at the display, which was still displaying “rest break” I was also certain i’d pressed the ok button when selecting the “rest break” mode.

So… where have i gone wrong? am i in the cr*p, and if so what’s the penalties?

coaster:
I Set off driving at 9:23, did 4 drops … by that time it was 1:54

Unless you did those 4 drops in 60 seconds then you are fine !!

The 4.5 hours break requirement is for the TOTAL of your DRIVING TIME from 9.23

Get yourself a cooking timer similar to this one amazon.co.uk/dp/B002BT0BD4/r … B002BT0BD4 , stick it to the dash with blu tac where you will not forget about it, start the timer when you commence driving and pause it once you stop and exit the vehicle to do a delivery, before you set off again start the timer once more, this will give you a fairly accurate ■■■■■■■■■■ indication (if done correctly of course !) of your actual driving time, if the vehicle does not have a drive time display mode in the speedo binnacle. Just make sure the tacho is set to break before you reach 4 hours 30 mins on the timer.

Its not pretty but may stop you getting infringements and fines, especially handy for newbies doing high turnover food service type multidrop work which is more than likely what you will be offered at the outset of your career.

He’s right about the timer but not sure it will be any good for multi drop. As for exceeding your hours your fine as you didn’t do more than a total of 4.5 hours driving or 6 hours made up from driving and other duties.

thanks for the advice … phew, think I’m ok then as the drops took 3/4 mins each. :smiley:

When I pulled over and the “rest break” was still showing, was that because i’d stopped?
Is that the usual place for a digi card reader? out of sight so you can’t see what the [zb] it’s up to while in the driver’s seat?

When the ignition is switched off the digi will either revert to rest or other wprk depending on how it has been programmed
That can be changed by the experts that look after your tachos

If ignition not switched off then the setting you chose last will be the one it reverts to when you stop the vehicle moving

Does that help?

Phew! lol yes it does help and thanks Rog and everyone for the posts.

coaster:
I got one day’s work driving a lorry through an agency.

Due to it being located bottom right of the dashboard below my knee I so can’t see the display unless standing outside with door open. (was a siemans reader)
I Set off driving at 9:23, did 4 drops, when glancing at the reader when I was getting out.it was switching to x’d hammers. I then looked to pulled over at 1:52 to take my 45, as i obviously didn’t want to go over the limit.

Anyway, I tried getting the card out to leave vehicle but couldn’t get it out. messed on with menus, gave up and called company, who told me to keep card in and guided me through to get “rest break” on it. by that time it was 1:54 He told me that after my break, the reader would automatically begin to record “driving” when i pulled away.

when I got back to the depot, I got out then looked at the display, which was still displaying “rest break” I was also certain i’d pressed the ok button when selecting the “rest break” mode.

So… where have i gone wrong? am i in the cr*p, and if so what’s the penalties?

I’m sorry if I’m misunderstanding but the way I’m reading this is that you wanted to take the card out before you’d finished driving the vehicle because you didn’t know how to put it on break :open_mouth:

If that’s correct then do you realise that you would have needed to do a manual entry when you put the card back in ?