Am I being stupid?

Hi

First Post, apologies if this kind of thing has been asked before. Basically im just seeking opinions on my current situation. Im an NHS senior nurse in mental health services, currently working with suicidal and high risk patients. Im 28 and worked in the NHS for 8 years. For the past year I’ve become so fed up of my career. My salary is fairly good but my job satisfaction is low.

Since i was a child I’ve always had an interest in truck driving. My old man is a hgv driver. The industry fascinates me. Im seriously considering starting my training. Im just concerned about the risk and the financial risk. My annual salary is about 40k currently. I know realistically i won’t be getting anywhere near this. Especially in the first few years. But should this put me off?

Would love some brutally honest opinions please before i make a significant life decision.

Cheers

No, you are not being stupid.
I have changed to HGV two years ago now currently class 2 and I wasn’t happy in my last job. It was a dead-end job without any meaningful progress. When I got trained up for class 2 I did work my last job until I had a decent paid offer. It was agency work for NHS supply chain and guess what I still work there nowadays and still as an agency driver. In your case definitely won’t let 40K job go.

Apply for medical do the paperwork - get your provisional and find a place where you can have trial lesson-just to get a feel of the machine (it’s awesome)!! you can get trained up and get your licence while you keep your current job as at the end of the day it’s always useful. (also will take your mind away from current work-related issues)

Now moneywise class 2 you wouldn’t be anywhere near that money-unless you find the unicorn company :slight_smile: in class 1 However can get very close to that after a few years if “correct” path chosen.
Lifestyle is obviously different - if you are comfortable with yourself and being on your own most of the time than its good start. Car drivers will hate you, the public will hate you if you are blocking their way etc…

As a lady you may find bit hard the state of some toilets :slight_smile: never mind that some brakes you may have in lay by (guys just have it a bit easier)
Partner life may suffer if you get unlucky and find a place with long hours
and the list goes on and on.

I am sure that more qualified lads here will give you the proper look into this industry but you know what? I don’t hate it - it can be challenging at times but I like it that way (also time really flies). Your view from window will change every second and theres always something to do. When I finish my shift I go home with good feeling, I don’t have to bring any work related problems home with me (unless something happened obviously)

Think long and hard about the choices you want to make. Money isn’t everything but its important to have them. Think How hard you had to study and prepare for your exams… perhaps different NHS related work would make the difference?

I am not trying to discourage you at all Just try concider all options before you make your move

Thanks for the reply :slight_smile:

Some really helpful advice. Yeah I plan to keep my job for a bit and apply. Definitely would be daft to jump into it without a plan. Plenty of decent agency nursing work too. Could rotate between the two. I wouldn’t want to let my registration lapse anyway so would need to do some hours.
Haha i’m actually a bloke but I take your point. Working alone for periods is what appeals to me. I travelled the world alone last year for 6 months. I do 15 hour days now on my feet with barely a break so could manage the long days.

Thanks again for your response.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It’s true that you’re never likely to match your current income. Bear in mind that an LGV licence comes under the heading of “Vocational”. With your current occupation, you’ll fully understand the concept of vocation. No-one should enter this industry for the money. It has to be said that it is improving but painfully slowly. And the pay is far more than some occupations.

No idea where you’re located but you may like to take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=165926

You would possibly find the experience very informative.

In the meantime, I’m always here to help. Post on the forum or pm. No worries.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

I used to be an electrician…thats maby 10 years ago now…much prefer driving for a living. Yes its less money and usually more hours. But we spend so much of our lives at work, id rather do something i enjoy most days than something i hate. Id hate to be going back working on a building site now…unless its just reversing through the gates to tip a load of stone lol
I suggest go get your licence…even during your practical training you will get a feel for the job…but dont be threw off if you find it difficult to reverse. We all found it difficult at the start.
And then maby start with part time or weekend work here and there? Just so you dont chuck in a 40k job while testing the truck driving water.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Peter Smythe:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

It’s true that you’re never likely to match your current income. Bear in mind that an LGV licence comes under the heading of “Vocational”. With your current occupation, you’ll fully understand the concept of vocation. No-one should enter this industry for the money. It has to be said that it is improving but painfully slowly. And the pay is far more than some occupations.

No idea where you’re located but you may like to take a look at this:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=165926

You would possibly find the experience very informative.

In the meantime, I’m always here to help. Post on the forum or pm. No worries.

Take care, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Thankyou i might actually give you a call as im fairly near to NG17. Might help me make a decision.

Do i need my provisional and medical to attend the open day?

Thankyou for the advice everyone

Thankyou i might actually give you a call as im fairly near to NG17. Might help me make a decision.

Hope to hear from you; simply call 01623 555661 and you will be offered appointments. The beauty of the Open Day is that you can actually see what is on offer in the way of vehicles, site amenities, staff etc. It will also give you a benchmark if you choose to look elsewhere. Let me know where you are and I’ll even tell you where else to go and have a look if I can. Truthfully, I know we cant be beaten - thus my confidence.

You do not need a medical or provisional to attend the Open Day.

When you come, you place yourself under zero obligation or cost. But we will happily answer your questions and make any arrangements you request.

And you get a ■■■■■!

Hope to see you there.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Peter Smythe:

Hope to hear from you; simply call 01623 555661 and you will be offered appointments. The beauty of the Open Day is that you can actually see what is on offer in the way of vehicles, site amenities, staff etc. It will also give you a benchmark if you choose to look elsewhere. Let me know where you are and I’ll even tell you where else to go and have a look if I can. Truthfully, I know we cant be beaten - thus my confidence.

You do not need a medical or provisional to attend the Open Day.

When you come, you place yourself under zero obligation or cost. But we will happily answer your questions and make any arrangements you request.

And you get a ■■■■■!

Hope to see you there.

Sounds like a good opportunity. You will be hearing from mr shortly. I only live Newark way so close.

Thanks again

Good move. I’ll increase the ■■■■■ order!

Hi
Although I cant advise you on the practical elements of getting your HGV, I can empathise with your current position. I too work in a very challenging and stressful environment. It is not a MH setting but I come across the same people you will meet in your role and sadly some of the tragedies you will have come across.

I am 56 and can retire in 4 years on a good pension. I earn a very good salary but that comes with a huge weight of responsibility on my shoulders.
Whilst I knew that when I progressed up the promotion ladder, the pressures and stresses are relentless and I am now considering calling it a day rather than allow the job to break me before I retire.Sadly I have seen friends and colleagues not reach their retirement and I dont want to become one of those stats.

I am fortunate that I have a reasonable enough pension to allow me to retire now albeit my pension will be less by going 4 years early. However I dont want to stop working altogether .I want to still work and I am looking at returning to driving for a few years.

If I could give any advice it would be dont regret not making the decision. As a MH nurse, if the HGV driving does not work out, you would have something to fall back on. My daughter is a MH nurse and I know when she started there was a massive shortage and she had a pick of offers once she graduated. I dont think the situation has changed much.

As to salary, yes driving is unlikely to give you the possibilities you could get if you progressed in your current role. However you have to consider that against the stress of your current job and if you are happy to take a drop to improve your own mental well-being. You do an amazing job but at what cost.

Good luck with your decision.

As people have suggested, get your licence then sign up with an agency and do the odd weekend, or on your annual leave do a few days or a week.

I’m in the army and I do a day or 2 a week and on my 2 weeks leave I’ll do a weeks driving. It’s the best way to know if you’re making the right decision. I enjoy the job most of the time but in all honesty, after a year of fairly regular agency work I’m not sure i want to do it when I leave the military. I was dead set on it before. I think the total lack of advancement opportunities, the low pay, and all the ■■■■■■■■ and red tape that’s out there is off putting. I’m extremely torn as I do enjoy driving, I like being away from irritating people and when you deliver to a warehouse or something there’s no better feeling that knowing you’re leaving shortly and not stuck there like them, however to make a decent living in most driving jobs you’ve got to be putting in the 12-15 hour days.

Given your job, you’ve definitely got your head screwed on right, just thought I’d share my experience. You’re lucky that you have a regular salaried job currently, things are going to get painful for a lot of people soon, don’t make any rushed decisions!

If got a mon to fri non driving job then under the weekly rest rules it means you can only do one day of driving every other weekend

I have left SCAS foundation trust about 3 years ago. Started driving on containers on class one. I must say I’m much less stressed and much much less general “drunk, abusive, knowing all” public. Money are a bit less, but frankly I’m as relaxed as never.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk