Aluminium tipper trailer legs

The sort with pins you drop individually…,can they be dropped loaded?? Anyone know for sure? Cheers

Can you put a…

Picture up? That might help.

I can only assume you can drop a loaded trailer on them. It makes little sense not to but, I’m guessing.

yourhavingalarf:
I can only assume you can drop a loaded trailer on them.

Personally I would assume the opposite, then I wouldn’t end up with egg on my face.

Didn’t know such things existed and never used them, but a quick google shows Stas trailers with them fitted.

Newton trailers website claims 30t static load.

Although the pdf from the manufacturer on the same page says 20t

Although the pdf from the manufacturer on the same page says 20t

Each or as a pair?

EDIT: The PDF says 20T “per set”.

With a loaded trailer, I wonder how they’d stand up to

1. lateral forces from the average driver not being able to couple up in a straight line
  2. longitudinal forces from the average driver doing tug tests with the legs still on the deck.

They manage to bend thick steel legs with ease so I don’t envisage these comparatively flimsy aluminium ones lasting long. :frowning:

I note the blurb goes on about reduced fuel consumption as one of their selling points. Really? How much difference in weight are we talking vs steel ones? 5kg? Aside from that, no-one is going to be fitting these over standard steel ones unless they want to increase their payload, so how does that reduce fuel when the overall weight of the combination is the same as it was before? :unamused:

While it’s true that aluminium is not as strong as steel when made to the same dimensions, the fact that it has roughly 1/3 the density means components can be made significantly thicker, and thus stronger than their steel counterparts while still being lighter.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

DCPCFML:
How much difference in weight are we talking vs steel ones? 5kg?

Looks like you can save about 50 - 60 kg. 41kg per pair v 90 -100kg + bar + handle for steel.

DCPCFML:
With a loaded trailer, I wonder how they’d stand up to

1. lateral forces from the average driver not being able to couple up in a straight line
  2. longitudinal forces from the average driver doing tug tests with the legs still on the deck.

I agree, some of the ■■■■ housery I witness while hooking up, would be bad news for these.

isaac hunt:

DCPCFML:
How much difference in weight are we talking vs steel ones? 5kg?

Looks like you can save about 50 - 60 kg. 41kg per pair v 90 -100kg + bar + handle for steel.

Is an extra 50 kg payload really worth the hassle? The ally legs appear to me manually operated from the pic with no winder. A weeks worth of road grime caking them up and I have my doubts that they’d continue to slide up and down freely.

Pulled a b train agg trailers with pin alloy legs for 6 yrs. and no bloody way drop loaded , they only anyuse if changing units when empty and a real pain if units are different height of fifth wheel.

DCPCFML:
I note the blurb goes on about reduced fuel consumption as one of their selling points. Really? How much difference in weight are we talking vs steel ones? 5kg? Aside from that, no-one is going to be fitting these over standard steel ones unless they want to increase their payload, so how does that reduce fuel when the overall weight of the combination is the same as it was before? :unamused:

Money, money, money. . . If they can drop nearly 100kgs to give them 100kgs extra payload then that will all add up over time!
Company I work for, pulling super Bs, have all new fuel cans with no legs at all on the pup trailer, only on the lead which is allegedly saving them a couple hundred Kgs on weight which they can put back on with some more fuel to make that little extra dollar.

I would imagine the tippers who run the quarries and are paid by the tonne will benefit most over time as their trailers are pretty much married to the tractor and usually come off for MOT and service