Alternate weekend working

I know, I know, I’m supposed to know this but hey, cut me some slack here cos of my advancing years… I’ve looked at the regs and still can’t work it out.

New contract, started last Monday and all appears well except for the comment on working hours… Monday to Friday, week one, Monday to Saturday,week two and so on, 5 days, 6 days, 5 days, 6days etc. The Saturday work could just be a run in to the yard or a full shift.

Premium paid for the Saturday so no problems on that front, just the legal aspect is confusing.

Any help appreciated, please be gentle…

Same as us 1 week is 6 days, Sunday to friday, then Monday to Friday, 5 days so you get a 48hr rest every 2weeks, and a full weekend, the only downside, is when your due in on the Sunday, the Saturday goes real quick,

Your worrying about nothing.

Can you not find another job there must be more to life than working like that.

mac12:

Here we go, mines better than yours, it suits me, and it might suit the op, what’s good for one isn’t necessarily good for somebody else.

If you have a weekly rest of 57 hours one weekend and then a weekly rest of 33 hours the next weekend and so so then payback for the reduced weekly rest of 33 hours is paid back the following weekend
45-33=12 to payback
57-45=12 used as payback

Not enough information in the original post to definitively state if it is legal or not. Specifically the length of weekend rests is required.

biggriffin:

mac12:

Here we go, mines better than yours, it suits me, and it might suit the op, what’s good for one isn’t necessarily good for somebody else.

Yeah, I bet weekend working aint that good really. So if you and the OP got off your lazy asses, and bought some winning lottery tickets, you wouldnt need to work weekends at all! Probably get a better car a Blonde Bimbo too. Lazy. :smiley:

Two…

Blonde ■■■■■■.

Much more fun.

ROG:
If you have a weekly rest of 57 hours one weekend and then a weekly rest of 33 hours the next weekend and so so then payback for the reduced weekly rest of 33 hours is paid back the following weekend
45-33=12 to payback
57-45=12 used as payback

■■?

Sunday - Friday finish Friday back Monday then Monday to Friday weekend off, I’ve never had any infingements working these shifts.

biggriffin:

mac12:

Thank you all for your measured responses… Big Griffin and Mac 12, there is a grand plan!
Three years to retirement and I plan (God and Brexit permitting) to spend my days years on my boat based in the Ionian, Greece. I’m working every hour I can presently cos I have calculated that each month’s money earned here equals three months beer tokens out there.Also pumps up my pension pot.

So, Harry Monk, kinda following in your footsteps but with better weather. I don’t have any more details regarding hours as I only started Monday. Spoken to a couple of friends and they looked a bit blank, so appears not to be a problem.

Franglais, Franglais… do you not think I woulda bought the winning lottery ticket if I knew where I could buy one?

Thanks again for all your help…

puggy:

biggriffin:

mac12:

Thank you all for your measured responses… Big Griffin and Mac 12, there is a grand plan!
Three years to retirement and I plan (God and Brexit permitting) to spend my days years on my boat based in the Ionian, Greece. I’m working every hour I can presently cos I have calculated that each month’s money earned here equals three months beer tokens out there.Also pumps up my pension pot.

So, Harry Monk, kinda following in your footsteps but with better weather. I don’t have any more details regarding hours as I only started Monday. Spoken to a couple of friends and they looked a bit blank, so appears not to be a problem.

All sounds good to me. Raining as usual where I am (Llangollen at the mo). Greek boating is a temptation. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I’m working I normally do every other Saturday, it’s not a problem. If I work on Saturday it’s normally a shortish shift and I’ll be finished by 1400. I start again Monday 0600 so I will have had 40 hours rest, meaning if I have a normal weekend the following weekend, say finish 1800 Friday and start 0600 Monday then I’ve more than paid back the 5 hour reduction.

biggriffin:

ROG:
45-33=12 to payback
57-45=12 used as payback

■■?

Sunday - Friday finish Friday back Monday then Monday to Friday weekend off, I’ve never had any infingements working these shifts.

I think ROG is saying is that any shortfall on a normal weekly rest needs to be repaid, normally by 3rd week but if your on a rota of 5/6/5 then you would pay back on the ‘non’ extra working week.

As you’ve no infringement for your pattern it’s obviously set up ok that any payback is covered.

Some do extra shifts that don’t payback if they go in too early so get infringements.

I work every 2nd Sunday night( my choice before anyone starts!) and my payback on hours can be close if I don’t keep an eye on it on my compensation week. Planners obviously don’t as I get asked to come in at a time that would leave me short by a few hours if I listened to them

It can be done just check what you owe and make sure you compensate correctly the following week if your on a on/off extra day each week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many drivers did those shifts where i used to work without a problem…i didnt have to because i was stubborn and refused to sign a new contract…so i stayed on the old one, Mon - Fri every weekend off.

biggriffin:

mac12:

Working 6 days a week doing the hours we do getting just one day off before starting another 60+hr week isn’t good for anyone. You might not think its doing you harm but I can guarantee that if you stopped and went onto a normal working week the rest of the country does it wouldn’t be long before you realised how much of an effect it has. It doesn’t have to be your health, it can be your wellbeing and being able to do fun stuff after work because you’ve got time to and still get in a decent kip and aren’t too knackered to, your relationship with your wife if she’s not already sodded off with someone else because you’re never there, your friends if you still have any left…

Conor:

biggriffin:

mac12:

Working 6 days a week doing the hours we do getting just one day off before starting another 60+hr week isn’t good for anyone. You might not think its doing you harm but I can guarantee that if you stopped and went onto a normal working week the rest of the country does it wouldn’t be long before you realised how much of an effect it has. It doesn’t have to be your health, it can be your wellbeing and being able to do fun stuff after work because you’ve got time to and still get in a decent kip and aren’t too knackered to, your relationship with your wife if she’s not already sodded off with someone else because you’re never there, your friends if you still have any left…

I suppose that largely depends on whether a person has to do that overtime to make ends meet, or does it voluntarily in order to pay for some pleasure, such as an extra holiday for example. In the Winter I normally work two Saturdays a month, and get paid 8 hours money at Saturday rates even though the shift only ever lasts 5-6 hours, and the extra money it brings in means I can spend several weeks more in the Summer cruising around on my boat.

To keep things simple and legal we used to work every other Saturday, (if there was work of course) and finish before noon if possible, then have the following weekend off. Didn’t always go to plan, hold ups on surfacing jobs etc, but as long as we compensated by having an early finish or two in the following week all was well. I probably worked fewer Saturdays than the other lads though as I liked to get away for the weekend with the caravan and not chase the mighty dollar and pay half in tax, my last gaffer prefferred me to work just the five days anyway as he wouldn’t work at weekends! :wink:

Pete.