All ride kettle

Should really know better,but thought I’d take a punt on a racy blue number from Lymm msa.Back to gas bottles alas,these 22 quid jobbies are ,alongside most Allride products,utter crap on stilts,well over 15 minutes to boil a lukewarm body of water for a brew.How are they still trading ffs?
Maybe chrome dollybirds were such a success they figured a leap into consumer durables the next logical step.It’s scandalous that no one seems capable of manufacturing decent kit like cab toasters etc.
Boils my urine to be frank.

Pretty sure I’ve had the same type and yeah on 24v it still took well over 15 mins to even start to bubble. Trouble is most 24v sockets aren’t capable of delivering the amps hence they are all crap. Needs a proper inverter and 240v one.

The trouble is not with the kettle, but the juice that you are trying to power it with. I had a heater element for my car years ago when the water was nearly boiling the fuse would blow. You just cannot draw sufficient current for those things to be viable.

The problem is that a domestic kettle draws typically 1200 watts and an AllRide 24v kettle draws 300w. (Even 300w comes perilously close to burning out the dashboard socket)

So, given that a kettle will lose heat to its surroundings as it heats up, it’s not really any great surprise that it takes five or six times as long to boil.

The socket for the kettle in my nex gen Scania says 320 watts. The cheap kettle I got from J13 on the M1 two years ago is rated at 180 watts apparently, boils…and I mean boils, water for a good full mugful of tea in under 5 minutes, I fill it up so it just covers the element by half an inch and the plug and socket are not hot enough to melt it. I accidentely left it boiling for about 15 minutes once, but even then it was nowhere near melting point!

I have “the big red kettle” 24v hella style plug. Works great in my DAF CF.
I kept my receipt and when it inevitably stopped working, the guys at Lymm just exchanged it for a new one as its still under it’s 12month warranty.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why I’m glad of my built in coffee maker

truckingjohncarroll:
I have “the big red kettle” 24v hella style plug. Works great in my DAF CF.
I kept my receipt and when it inevitably stopped working, the guys at Lymm just exchanged it for a new one as its still under it’s 12month warranty.

I don’t think I’ve ever known one to last a year. I think they just rely on the majority of folk who chuck it in a bin rather than returning it under warranty.

Many thanks chaps.Some sage counsel there.Burning out the mercs console in return for a cup of rosy seems less attractive.Back to more primitive modems of preparation,henceforth. :blush:

I have a blue 24v soft touch on/off (thats what it says on the battered box)that must be 5 yrs old, only ever fill it just above the element and it takes about 5 mins to boil which is fine by me, soon as it starts to slow i take it home and let it stand full of the limescale remover and its good as new… bloody things bound to blow up tomorow now :laughing:

chaversdad:
I have a blue 24v soft touch on/off (thats what it says on the battered box)that must be 5 yrs old, only ever fill it just above the element and it takes about 5 mins to boil which is fine by me, soon as it starts to slow i take it home and let it stand full of the limescale remover and its good as new… bloody things bound to blow up tomorow now :laughing:

Yep, shot yerself in the foot there mate. I’ll look out for your ‘blown up kettle’ thread.