All Lane Running

16 minutes between vehicle becoming stationary and subsequent smash :neutral_face:

Were they not standing on the other side of the barrier?

Not familiar with that stretch of the M1, is it one of those so-called “smart” sections?

If it is, I have often thought they can’t be as safe if there is no continuous refuge for broken down vehicles. I know that hard shoulders are not the safest of places to be, but surely better than nothing?

There is a section near me (around J11a) that I drive in my regularly in my truck and car. It seems to permanently have a speed limit. Is this to justify its own existence, or just to generate money? :smiling_imp:

All lane running no hardshoulder and no street lights. A recipe for disaster. These smart motorways only seem to do one thing efficiently. Raise money.

Much of the motorway from Nottingham to Sheffiekd is all lane running - not even smart as its just permanent 4 lanes and in theory lots of gantries.

When its dark there’s plenty of bits where you could come round a corner and suddenly find a car in front of you, although no doubt they werent fully concentrating. Always slightly on edge along that bit.

The only problem with all lane running is the road users themselves. If they concentrated solely on driving and looked further ahead than the back lights of the vehicle in front this would be a non issue. All roads whether they be single, dual or motorway have the potential for a stationary vehicle to be just around the corner, smart motorways should be treated exactly the same.

Nite Owl:
All lane running no hardshoulder and no street lights. A recipe for disaster. These smart motorways only seem to do one thing efficiently. Raise money.

And kill people

i wonder what the merc drivers penalty will be seeing as he is a car driver and not a fedex M1 driver.
no doubt itl depend on the media interest,or lack of it.

16 minutes surely enough time for the red X’s to pop up?

We shall see

SuperMultiBlue:

We shall see

One of the issues with smart motorways, apart from drivers using them not being smart, is that the information on the gantries isn’t reliable enough.

If the sight of an ‘Obstruction in road’ sign or Red X actually meant there was something there, people would probably take them more seriously when they see them displayed. Half the time, you slow down/clear a lane etc. in anticipation of what is meant be ahead, only to find that whatever was there was shifted an hour ago and the just haven’t bothered turning the sign off. This breeds complacency in drivers. These new “Report of” messages are a laugh, people must be prank calling them because I have never seen them be right.

rob22888:

SuperMultiBlue:

We shall see

One of the issues with smart motorways, apart from drivers using them not being smart, is that the information on the gantries isn’t reliable enough.

If the sight of an ‘Obstruction in road’ sign or Red X actually meant there was something there, people would probably take them more seriously when they see them displayed. Half the time, you slow down/clear a lane etc. in anticipation of what is meant be ahead, only to find that whatever was there was shifted an hour ago and the just haven’t bothered turning the sign off. This breeds complacency in drivers. These new “Report of” messages are a laugh, people must be prank calling them because I have never seen them be right.

Another issue is the delay from the ‘event’ to the Red X going up. I near smashed into someone just past spaghetti in lane 1 who must have just ‘freshly’ broken down. No red X

It was closed Sunday night between 30 and 31 northbound,this must have been why,signs said roadworks but as I came off and climbed the hill I could see all the blues flashing in distance.
When I was going southbound there were two broken down cars stuck in lane one about 2 mile apart between 29a and tibshelf,NO flashing crosses or warnings on either instance.

SuperMultiBlue:

We shall see

Doesn’t really matter whether the Red X was up or not. No one pays attention to the signs at all, they’ll quite happily belt along at 80, weaving in and out of traffic and trying to get to the front of the queue.

A mistake anyone could make. There but for the grace of a mythical being go us. What I never understand is why people who breakdown and get out of the car don’t get in a position that the car or vehicle is in front of them on the carriageway. If it gets struck there is zero chance of anything hitting you in the aftermath.

Very sad for ALL concerned

Sent from my SM-J510FN using Tapatalk

mardybum:

SuperMultiBlue:

We shall see

Doesn’t really matter whether the Red X was up or not. No one pays attention to the signs at all, they’ll quite happily belt along at 80, weaving in and out of traffic and trying to get to the front of the queue.

This will be the start of cameras on every gantry monitoring your red X flouters and your speeders.

Always part of the plan you watch.

SuperMultiBlue:

We shall see

How do we know they weren’t up and it’s a case of the “offending” vehicle either choosing to ignore them or just only looking as far ahead as is front bumper and not seeing them at all. This could be why he’s been arrested for death by dangerous.

he will have been charged with dangerous so that they will get a guilty plea when they negotiate with hin and reduce the charge to careless in exchange for a guilty plea with a certain victory for the prosecution to make it easy and less expensive and time consuming.
the driver will take that as a safe option when he becomes aware of the two different maximum penalties.
obviously if they have him on camera rallying it about at 100mph on his mobile updating his facecum status + and giving it large,then dangerous will stick,but if not,its the threat of a big stick,then the option for guilty to the lesser one.