All alone with a heart attack

Unhealthy diet, not much exercise, stress, and middle aged…the thing is as truckers we also spend the working week alone.
A mate of mine told me that if you think you are having a heart attack, whilst waiting for an ambulance, you should cough as hard as you can…this acts as a sort of self administered CPR.
I checked this with a doctor who told me it is a myth that went round a few years ago and there is no advantage to it all.
He said the best thing for any potential heart attack is to take a couple of disperscible aspirin…when my father in law had a heart attack the first thing the paramedic did was give him some aspirin…and then ask questions.
I keep aspirin with me all the time now.
Something probably most people know…but if it helps just one person…

A bit thought provoking.

No symptoms, no warning and I suffered a serious one ten years ago. laying down with knees elevated also helps as the emergency services told me when I phoned them. The ongoing pain felt like a twenty stone person stood on one foot in the middle of my chest :open_mouth:

I had three stents fitted as all three arteries around the heart were blocked. Three months later I had a triple heart bypass. I now rarely drink, I no longer smoke… having made the astute decision to pack it up while the paramedics were on their way :wink:

Ten years on I walk very briskly for 40 minutes every night regardless of where I am, home or on a night out. Weekends I try to walk for 6 to 7 miles or cycle at least 8 to 12 miles and I also try to eat as healthily as I can.

When I was doing my advance first aid certificate I was told that if anyone while having a heart attack felt the need to take a dump then they weren’t going to survive …

not a nice subject,but at the same time kind of helpful,next shop packet of asprin I think[just in case]

It used to be advised to take an aspirin tablet daily but not any longer unless prescribed by a doctor, mine were taken of my prescription and replaced by Clopidogrel.

This is sound advice from Heisenberrg. This the British Heart Foundation take on it :-

"Should I take an aspirin if I think I’m having a heart attack?
The first thing to do if you think you’re having a heart attack is to phone 999 immediately for an ambulance.

You should then sit and rest while you wait for the ambulance to arrive. Do not get up and look around for an aspirin. This may put unnecessary strain on your heart.

Chew an adult aspirin tablet (300mg) if one is easily available, unless you’re allergic to aspirin or you’ve been told not to take it.

If you don’t have an aspirin next to you, or if you don’t know if you’re allergic to aspirin, just stay resting until the ambulance arrives."

raymundo:
When I was doing my advance first aid certificate I was told that if anyone while having a heart attack felt the need to take a dump then they weren’t going to survive …

We were told the same after my father in law was found on the toilet, apparently quite common to want a carp.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

wrighty1:

raymundo:

We were told the same after my father in law was found on the toilet, apparently quite common to want a carp.

We were told the same after my father in law was found on the toilet, apparently quite common to want a crap.

wrighty1:

raymundo:

I was a palliative care worker for ten years before being a tipper tang, used to find no end brown bread on the bog or just in front of it

This was circulated around face book and is simply a cut & paste of it. One of those silly posts telling you to share it amongst all of your friends, whilst the originator (usually a social media agency) reeps in lots of likes and shares. Now jumped off face book and onto here. Lovely.

Was that why Elvis was found on the toilet?

Dunky123:
Was that why Elvis was found on the toilet?

he was caught in a crap :smiley: :smiley: