All advice welcome

Hi first post here as I set off on the journey…
I will give you some background first, passed my car test back in 1990 so already have 7.5 ton on licence, back in 2008 my current job looked ropey so sat the theory test and passed, also did my medical and passed, also got my provisional licence but then stopped and the job I had at the time seemed more secure.
fast forward to today, I still have the provisional on my licence, and obviously want to now progress with my training so my questions are
1 do I need to do theory again?
2 do I need to do medical again?
3 I live in Peterborough so can anyone recommend a good training centre in which to do my rigid and then artic training?
4 Any advice you want to give me then please feel free

thanks in advance

You will need to pass the theory tests again as the certificate is only valid for 2 years.

As for the medical look at the paper counterpart licence and see when Cat C provisional expires. To renew it you need to have another medical.

You will also need to attend 35 hours CPC before Sept 2014 to drive commercially.

As for a trainer there are some in Peterborough but a trial drive which is sometimes free is a good idea to compare trainers. Don’t base the trainer choice on just price and/or location. An hours drive for a few days might be better value.

LGVTrainer:
You will need to pass the theory tests again as the certificate is only valid for 2 years.

As for the medical look at the paper counterpart licence and see when Cat C provisional expires. To renew it you need to have another medical.

You will also need to attend 35 hours CPC before Sept 2014 to drive commercially.

As for a trainer there are some in Peterborough but a trial drive which is sometimes free is a good idea to compare trainers. Don’t base the trainer choice on just price and/or location. An hours drive for a few days might be better value.

the provisional cover on the paper licence expires the 20/04/2018 so I take it that I don’t need the medical again which I suppose saves me a bob or two, just have to try and find out when I can get in to do my theory again. Then start recruiting trainers… hopefully get the ball rolling again tomorrow
cheers for the pointers

The advice John has given is spot on. Well worth having a good look round as there are massive differences. Book only when you’ve been and looked, the only exception being rock solid recommendation.

Good luck with it, Pete

Whitey2104:
the provisional cover on the paper licence expires the 20/04/2018 so I take it that I don’t need the medical again

Correct, you don’t. Another point is that you have acquired rights on the cpc so you could start driving commercially immediately and only need to do the 35 hours to continue driving after September.

LGVTrainer:

Can he not opt for the initial CPC course? It would cost less probably and be much quicker complete.

LR18-8:

LGVTrainer:

Can he not opt for the initial CPC course? It would cost less probably and be much quicker complete.

sounds interesting

also I am looking at booking my theory, am I right in thinking that the hazard perception part of the test is the same test all drivers do but as a prospective HGV driver I am expected to gain a higher mark to pass. Only woundering as looking for some practice DVD’s and I can’t see anything specific to HGV ?

LR18-8:

LGVTrainer:

Sorry LR18-8, that’s not an option because…

Whitey2104:
… passed my car test back in 1990 …

which means that no initial CPC is needed, due to grandfather rights.

LR18-8:

LGVTrainer:

As above this is incorrect information posted by a so-called instructor confirmed by another so-called instructor :unamused:

I’m lost lol

mrpj:

LR18-8:

LGVTrainer:

As above this is incorrect information posted by a so-called instructor confirmed by another so-called instructor :unamused:

Hi mrpj,

I make it that LGV Trainer is correct because the question relates to a pre-97 driving licence.

I’ll stand to be corrected though.

mrpj:

LR18-8:

LGVTrainer:

I suggest re-reading the above posts because nobody said that

The DSA system would not allow the OP to book any of the initial dcpc modules as he is already in the dcpc periodic system

As the OP already had LGV C1 then the 35 periodic hours can be started now

To drive LGVs commercially after 09/09/2014 the OP must complete the 35 hours periodic dcpc

To the OP - please read all the stickies near the top of this forum before proceeding any further
Also please read recent posts from newly qualified to get some realistic idea of the job opportunities for newbies

My initial reply to the OP was in response to very specific questions about theory and medical and trainers.

In addition to answering the questions asked I offered advice about CPC. Now this is something I do know about and the info given is 100% correct. If he could have chosen between initial and periodic training I would have mentioned that.

Before criticising people who offer free genuine accurate information please make sure you know the facts. Happy new year

Whitey2104:
I’m lost lol

Hi Whitey2104,

Be lost no more mate, you have a pre-'97 car licence so initial DCPC isn’t an option. :wink: