Aldi self tip bites them!

commercialmotor.com/news/com … 7C_News_CM

Should have got some steel toe capped flip flops :wink:

Scooby posted about this in the other aldi thread, but to recap:

‘Aldi said it relied on new drivers shadowing other drivers and did not have a standardised, formal training programme in place for all drivers to undertake before they were able to use the equipment alone’

…the parallels of using relatively untrained visiting drivers to offload their goods has not been attended to eh?
Not saying its rocket science to use one, and I dont particulary mind either way if I have to unload as it gets me doing something…but I would rather one of their staff tip me when I have to visit these places…which thankfully I dont do that often!

One difference between a driver unloading his truck in the RDC warehouse, and the ALDI driver unloading in the shop store room, is the space. The store rooms are so full and cramped, that you often need to manoeuvre very, very tightly. It is very easy in those circumstances to get it wrong.

Nothing unusual a Driver no matter who he/she works for, to be unloading at one of your own stores.
Its not just Aldi or Lidls RDCs self tip happens.
The only reason Aldi / Lidl`s are at the forefront is because they are highlighted in the imaginery Guide Book for Steering Wheel Attendants

I have noticed the goods in bay at Lidl and Aldi shops are in the car park of the shop.
If the delivery is at opening hours, they have to shuffle an artic around parked cars.
The same for McDonalds deliveries.
At Lidl or Aldi Rdc, I don’t mind unloading myself, a bit of exercise, you have control then.
Or wait in a room, for goods in to tip it and have ■■■ and coffee breaks every 20 minutes.

toby1234abc:
I have noticed the goods in bay at Lidl and Aldi shops are in the car park of the shop.
If the delivery is at opening hours, they have to shuffle an artic around parked cars.
The same for McDonalds deliveries.
At Lidl or Aldi Rdc, I don’t mind unloading myself, a bit of exercise, you have control then.
Or wait in a room, for goods in to tip it and have ■■■ and coffee breaks every 20 minutes.

It’s ■■■■ poor design and planning, often with no account taken of blindsides, at an Aldi store but in fairness to Mcd’s they aren’t going to have a bay at a drive-thru although at some of the busy ones they do seem to tip out dozens of cages per drop.

never understand why if drivers have to self tip don’t Aldi get the power trucks with the fold up platform,that way the driver can ride the pallet truck without injury,at least it would have saved them a fine,probably be quicker unloading too

You don’t have the room to manoeuvre a stand on truck in the stores. An electronic pallet truck is big enough to do the job but small enough to get it in small areas.

They got caught out because the driver hadn’t been offically trained to use the pallet truck.

truckman020:
never understand why if drivers have to self tip don’t Aldi get the power trucks with the fold up platform,that way the driver can ride the pallet truck without injury,at least it would have saved them a fine,probably be quicker unloading too

it’s because there more dangerous than the ones they use now

threewheels:
They got caught out because the driver hadn’t been offically trained to use the pallet truck.

All aldi/lidl suppliers were sent a letter telling them that all drivers delivering to there rdc’s had to be competent or trained on electric trucks, think it’s now in there supplier terms.

Basically another cop out,to pass the buck.
The only way it will change or stop is if somebody is seriously Injured at one of their warehouses, and hse get called in.

biggriffin:
The only way it will change or stop is if somebody is seriously Injured at one of their warehouses, and hse get called in.

That’s…

Already happened at their Neston depot. A driver managed to crush his foot under an electric pallet truck. A large claim has gone in.

Neston tips the goods for you.

So there is clearly an inconsistency with Aldi’s policy of self-tip. It’s ok at some places but not at others.