Aldi Assessment

Good morning all I have just got of the phone. A guy phoning from Aldi say he wants me to attend a drives assessment and if hopefully if all goes well I’m in :slight_smile:

Can anyone give me some advise experience as to what these assessment are like and what I should expect ?

Thanks paul

I would suggest he would be looking for a safe drive. Probably like you were on your test.

I haven’t done an Aldi assessment, but in nearly all cases the assessor is looking for overall competence and as said a safe drive, they don’t normally bother about you crossing your arms as you take corners or silly stuff like that, stay within the limits, do not tailgate, indicate adequately, use mirrors properly not the silly head swivelling every few seconds without actually looking at whats in the mirror you do on test, stop at an adequate distance from the vehicle in front, keep an eye open for STOP signs at junctions and come a complete halt if you encounter one…basically most decent firms want safe drivers they can rely on to turn up go out do the job legally/efficiently and bring the vehicle back in one piece in a reasonable timeframe.

Some go overboard on vehicle checks (i’ve known a first class bloke of donkeys years experience fail due to missing a minor tick box on the trailer check list, he could have done the job in his sleep), some won’t bother too much about minor checks instead concentrating on the driving, you’ll probably have to perform some simple maneuvers and you might have to either drop/pick up a trailer or talk through the procedure, chances are you’ll have to do a multiple choice questionaire with road signs/regs and drivers hours/regs featuring.

Best of luck, take your time, it isn’t a race, anything you’re unsure of ask the assessor (who’s probably the company trainer too) what he wants from you or what the company prefers, eg does he want you to do a full check round as per the book (some want you to check service due dates etc) or a simplified but safe normal version.

It’s probably assessment of how quickly you can tip the trailer as not much driving is required in that job

PaulZuna:
Good morning all I have just got of the phone. A guy phoning from Aldi say he wants me to attend a drives assessment and if hopefully if all goes well I’m in :slight_smile:

Can anyone give me some advise experience as to what these assessment are like and what I should expect ?

Thanks paul

Talking as an ex assessor now retired.
Like a great deal of Company assessments if you give a safe drive,staying in the speed limits,DONT rev the arse out of the engine whilst going through the gears,DONT give the assessor the impression your bored because you know it all,try looking interested,DONT give him /her ■■■■■■■■ as it has a nasty habit of coming back to bite DONT be afraid to ASK if you in doubt about anything
HI-VIS, Safety boots/ shoes,clean trouser / jeans with no holes in the knees or backside.pen,and don`t forget to take your licence and tacho card.
If you have passed the IAM Commercial test take your certificate with you

Good Luck

Having recently left Aldi after two years, I can probably say your Assessement will involve going to one of the stores and backing onto there loading bay and a safe drive in between, that’s what they are now doing at Chelmsford RDC

Thanks to everyone for their replys

I will be going to to Chelmsford rdc so that is good to know , I’m looking forward to that as you have worked their what is your experience of working at Aldi … If you don’t mine me asking ?

Chances are if its in Chelmsford you will go to the Dagenham store which is a tight blindside reverse onto the bay, I say tight but it is doable its a shared yard with Topps tiles and you can see the evidence of other peoples mis judgements. Once on the bay you then pull off but you cannot drive straight out you have to pull forward to where you began then complete a less tight blindside reverse into a bay that is parallel to the loading bay you can then drive out onto the service road and away.
They take you to this one on the basis that if you get in there you can get in anywhere.
The guy I had was called Darren and was sound as,when it came to the reverse he said I will stand on the other side of the road I wont put you under pressure by sitting in the cab. I said you might want to take a chair as this may take some time.
If you are not sure get out and look they want you to be safe not sorry. Most ALDI motors have rear and side windows which really help with a blindside reverse.
As I say Darren is sound as ,as are most of the office staff and in my experience all of the drivers. To be fair the driving is the easy part there is a lot of other stuff to take in and it is really full on to start with but if you can rise to the challenge it is a good job and you are well looked after.
Kit is new and well looked after and if you are not sure ask as somebody will always help you out.

The general assessment drive is about being sensible and safe…like you drive every other day of the year. Anyone with half an idea can do it.
The trick with Aldi is everything that goes on when you’re not driving between the DC and the store.
Freezer, chill, ambient, etc. It’s all about loading it in the right order to make sure you don’t tip a pallet/pallets over. You may have to spend a minute adding a bit of shrinkwrap to the odd pallet which might need a bit of help – you’ll get the idea fairly quickly, believe me!
Some of the bays at the stores can be a bit awkward but all are do-able.
Don’t listen to too much goss about the self tip/ load thing. It’s all done with trucks powered by electrickery ------ and the Aldi lads don’t have to line up the barcodes like the peasants delivering over the other side.
The one thing that may throw you out could be the start time of the shift you’re given, could be at almost any point on the 24 hour clock and you WILL do weekends!!
Hope this is of a help to you.
Good luck, it ain’t half as daunting doing it as it sounds! :smiley:

Thanks guys really appreciate it , really looking forward to it .

I did speak to Darren on the phone he seemed very pleasant to speak to
The blind side reversing doesnt really worry me I will take it with a pinch of salt
As worring about it never helps … I always take A look If I’m unsure as I think nobody can laugh at you being careful, they will if you go on with arrogance and hit something .

My start time is 22.30 which suits me … I was reading is it true you let urself into the store at night and tip on your own … It doesnt bother me as I used to have my own keys and alarm code for curtain jobs in the passed.

Thanks again everybody …

It is true about letting yourself in and tipping. The score is you load or sometimes your are pre loaded, do your scratch sheet and checks, you then drive to security,they give you the keys to the shop and a mobile phone in case you need to ring the depot. On your return you hand back the keys and the mobile and security check the motor for any new damage then your on the bay tipping your empties and reload for a second run or finish. Nights aint a bad option as at least you are not battling with the public in the car parks and you can just get on and get done.

Hi all I completed my driving assessment yesterday and I was please with how it had gone … The assessor was very please. Telling me that I would really fit in well .
I had a interview with the transport manger which I think when ok . I’m waiting for a letter in the post now .

I’m so impatient don’t want to wait lol,
Hopefully I have done enough I heard that there are 6 position on nights at the moment so I stand a chance I will have to see .

Paul

Which depot you apply to ■■?

I applied for opening at goldthorpe but was told that I wouldn’t be interviewed this time as they had over 150 applications for the 1 driving position available but would keep my cv and application on file

scotstrucker:
I applied for opening at goldthorpe but was told that I wouldn’t be interviewed this time aa they had over 150 applications for the 1 driving position available buy would keep my cv and application on file

STILL A SHORTAGE OF DRIVERS THEN :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

topmixer11:

scotstrucker:
I applied for opening at goldthorpe but was told that I wouldn’t be interviewed this time aa they had over 150 applications for the 1 driving position available buy would keep my cv and application on file

STILL A SHORTAGE OF DRIVERS THEN :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused:

they wont have a shortage of drivers there when there paying nearly £3 an hour more on days and £5 an hour on nights + better terms and conditions than most of the other firms in the area.

PaulZuna:
Hi all I completed my driving assessment yesterday and I was please with how it had gone … The assessor was very please. Telling me that I would really fit in well .
I had a interview with the transport manger which I think when ok . I’m waiting for a letter in the post now .

I’m so impatient don’t want to wait lol,
Hopefully I have done enough I heard that there are 6 position on nights at the moment so I stand a chance I will have to see .

Paul

Hi I’ve got an Aldi assessment in Swindon coming up I’m travelling up from Cardiff for it,if I get the job I’ll have 2 weeks training in Swindon then I’ll be working out of a sub depot in Cardiff until the new rdc opens there next year.After reading all the stuff about them on here I’m unsure about wether I want the job or not as it’s on a temp to perm and I’d have to take a chance by giving up my permanent position.

Nightshift is the hardest at Aldi as generally you have to do a bit more on the re-loading at the RDC and also letting yourself into stores can be a bit worrying.

Mind you it beats reversing into the Tottenham store on a busy Saturday afternoon.

Aldi is not a driving job it’s a labours job

Aldi is not the job for everyone !! if you want to drive all day,then don’t do it. If you fancy a bit of driving and unloading like i do, then give it a go !!!