Aldi and containers

always wondered if container drivers have to self tip ? anyone know the answer ta

Yes, was doing that 20 plus years ago at middleton.
And if i recall correctly, they were on of the first self tip companies, and good or bad that problem with drivers self tipping has being going on ever since.

Yes

Don’t know

Steady…this one is getting near the relegation zone!

Sorry, my daft sense of humour, saw the 4 different threads, so I put 3 different replies in, cos that’s the way I roll

PaulNowak:
Sorry, my daft sense of humour, saw the 4 different threads, so I put 3 different replies in, cos that’s the way I roll

My assessment of your actions were not deemed worthy/appropriate to include in the merge! :grimacing:

I have been in Atherstone and self tipped a curtainsider and I knew what was the load.
But what would happen with a sealed container, where you open the doors and its all handball,do they still expect the driver to tip and has this situation ever happened to anyone.

NO used to tip at Aldi at South Elmsal and they used to tip it. Took them hours though used to dread the place and if you were late they would put you in the naughty boys (or girls) corner till they had time to get around to you.

Depends on the container most of there stuff is short sea so it’s 45ft boxes and it’s a condition that you will self tip if asked and you are insured if you start for either a company pulling ecs or coblefret from memory. What’s the odds there a good few cheesed of maritime drivers out there now

Why did drivers ever agree to tip THEIR goods from THEIR suppliers containers? I remember container work 20 years ago when the truck & driver were only ever there to move the container to & fro. Loading & tipping were never the drivers concern.

alix776:
Depends on the container most of there stuff is short sea so it’s 45ft boxes and it’s a condition that you will self tip if asked and you are insured if you start for either a company pulling ecs or coblefret from memory. What’s the odds there a good few cheesed of maritime drivers out there now

We do self tips at Lidl’s, usually a 45’ box from Germany. We get told its Driver assist before we go, and they know by the number off packages on the manifest that it is palletised.

busteredwards:
Why did drivers ever agree to tip THEIR goods from THEIR suppliers containers? I remember container work 20 years ago when the truck & driver were only ever there to move the container to & fro. Loading & tipping were never the drivers concern.

That’s still the case for deep sea Containers, the self tip jobs are, in My experience, European containers.

I have been a container driver for 25 yrs and I have never self tipped any container I did have this problem many yrs ago at lidl but in the end they did tip it just a note to add as the driver you are not insured in the container the container is your load whats in the container belongs to the customer

mulbs:
I have been a container driver for 25 yrs and I have never self tipped any container I did have this problem many yrs ago at lidl but in the end they did tip it just a note to add as the driver you are not insured in the container the container is your load whats in the container belongs to the customer

You are if your are on short sea as said it’s a condition of starting for them as the containers run on cmr

alix776:

mulbs:

You are if your are on short sea as said it’s a condition of starting for them as the containers run on cmr

• 1 :wink:

mulbs:

To be fair, every load either belongs to a customer or a supplier. Never is the haulier the owner of the goods, unless its own account work, then the haulier is either a supplier or a customer :wink:

mulbs:
just a note to add as the driver you are not insured in the container the container is your load whats in the container belongs to the customer

I’d love to see that insurance policy and the wording where this is stated.
That is the type of RDC bull that becomes so commonplace people actually believe it after a while.
I was once told in a shop my 3 year old couldn’t use the staff loos as he wouldn’t be insured to go through the “staff only” door.
When I pointed out it was also an emergency fire exit and did that mean no customers could escape the burning building they relented and let us use it.

mulbs:

You could always come and do my current job which is furniture to shops self tip

m1cks:

mulbs:
just a note to add as the driver you are not insured in the container the container is your load whats in the container belongs to the customer

I’d love to see that insurance policy and the wording where this is stated.
That is the type of RDC bull that becomes so commonplace people actually believe it after a while.
I was once told in a shop my 3 year old couldn’t use the staff loos as he wouldn’t be insured to go through the “staff only” door.
When I pointed out it was also an emergency fire exit and did that mean no customers could escape the burning building they relented and let us use it.

I will say, that about 10 yrs ago, I worked for a Slaughterhouse delivering hanging meat, and we were employed as driver/porter, I was lead to believe was for insurance purposes. Once tipping at a customers premises, a driver on DFDS, went to great length’s to tell Me how I wasn’t insured to self tip hanging meat, even though I pointed out that this was an own account load, and I was employed as a driver/porter, he just wouldn’t have it :unamused: